• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying my first suit

katastrofa

Reaction score
That sort of muscular build + slim-fit suit + shaved head in the finance industry most likely would look inappropriate.

Load of BS.Balding is a problem for many people in finance, just as in other industries, and people will probably guess the reason. It's better to shave your head than to look like Prince William. Just make sure you don't look like a neo-nazi ;-)

And w/r to muscular build, the only problem he might have with that is jealousy.

R D K

Reaction score
Load of BS.Balding is a problem for many people in finance, just as in other industries, and people will probably guess the reason. It's better to shave your head than to look like Prince William. Just make sure you don't look like a neo-nazi ;-)

And w/r to muscular build, the only problem he might have with that is jealousy.

Haha great post, I was also kinda suprised to hear that a shaved head might be a problem in finance, so it's good to hear not everybody thinks it is.

People say a shaved head looks good on me, and luckily I have a friendly face so I don't really look like a neo-nazi ;)

R D K

Reaction score
Btw I took a few measurements today, I'm not sure if they are spot on, but I figure pretty close to that.

Chest: 37 inches
Shoulders: 18,5 inches
Sleeves: 24.8 inches
Upper waist: 29 inches.
Lower waist: 31 Inches

Last edited:

R D K

Reaction score
Alright I've chosen to go with the Napoli Navy Blue fit as my first suit, I've already contacted Suit Supply and they have it on stock in their outlet store in Roermond.

I also liked the Sienna suit, but I think it's too slim and I'm afraid it won't fit my body build because of that.
The Napoli also looks like a slim fit but not skinny fit and it has a bit more shoulder padding than the Sienna, which is also a bonus for me, I think the London fit is a bit to much in the shoulder department, since my shoulders are already naturally fairly broad compared to my waist line, anyway I will still try all three because I won't really know what fits best until I do.

I'm looking for a fit a bit similar to this picture

How much do you guys think this will cost me in tailoring (a rough estimate) or is it too hard to say?

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for a fit a bit similar to this picture
I'm the guy in that picture. What you see there is a 38R in the Napoli. I am 6' tall. This particular coat was brought in a little at the waist, a tad too much actually as you can see some pulling at the button. If you go with Suit Supply, at 5-11, I would not suggest a long in either the Napoli or the London. For a Washington or Havana, then consider the long. Both the London and the Napoli are more business than fashion. A very large thread exists on SF specifically on Suit Supply.

Last edited:

R D K

Reaction score
I'm the guy in that picture. What you see there is a 38R in the Napoli. I am 6' tall. This particular coat was brought in a little at the waist, a tad too much actually as you can see some pulling at the button.

If you go with Suit Supply, at 5-11, I would not suggest a long in either the Napoli or the London. For a Washington or Havana, then consider the long. Both the London and the Napoli are more business than fashion. A very large thread exists on SF specifically on Suit Supply.

I hope you don't mind that I used your picture as an example, I found it in the suit supply thread and I really liked the way it fitted on you, that looks very much like how I hope my suit will fit.

Thanks for the advice on what size to get, the only problem is, it seems that sizes are different here in the Netherlands, as you can see in the picture below.

The sizes are shown in cm's (1 inch is 2,54 cm's) and I can't find a 38R.
I think with these sizes I probably need a 44R or 46R.
Did you also have some tailoring done to the pants, or does the Napoli naturally fit that slim?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But that picture isn't much better than the other three, still too tight. The jacket is too tight - pulling around the button and the belt showing - and the pants are too narrow. Details like that can lower credibility at work. Tight clothes wear out (or are outgrown) faster, too.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But that picture isn't much better than the other three, still too tight. The jacket is too tight - pulling around the button and the belt showing - and the pants are too narrow. Details like that can lower credibility at work. Tight clothes wear out (or are outgrown) faster, too.

"Tight" and "narrow" is relative, and frankly personal preference, and you can't tell all proportions from one robo-pose picture that measures less than 4"x2" on the monitor, from a picture taken as I quickly turn around to beat the timer. Besides a little snugness in the waist, as I already acknowledged and causes the quarters to open a little, it does not restrict my movement, pants are not anywhere near nuthugging in the crotch or riding up my crack, and I can sit properly at my desk, sign term sheets and documents, gossip at the water cooler, walk to lunch, drive to calls, and drink beer, all comfortably. All of your "observed issues" have had no bearing on the success I have in my job, and I wear this suit usually once a week. I'm a slim, athletic guy, and I don't like "classic" proportions or sack suits. And by the way, i didn't make any adjustments to the pants, so every single person who has purchased a suit supply suit is wearing what you say is too tight. :dozingoff:

OP - the more useful comment is that you should first contemplate your environment, i.e. where will this suit be worn, around who, what is currently acceptable or not acceptable, etc. Are you working with young people? Are you working with old people? do they wear suits, or just chinos and an occasional sportcoat? stuff like that is what I'd consider during your search.

While I said the Napoli is more business-like than fashion, I admit that the jacket is cut a touch slimmer and shorter, say than your OTR JAB suit or a Brooks Brothers Madison.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice on what size to get, the only problem is, it seems that sizes are different here in the Netherlands, as you can see in the picture below.
The sizes are shown in cm's (1 inch is 2,54 cm's) and I can't find a 38R. I think with these sizes I probably need a 44R or 46R. Did you also have some tailoring done to the pants, or does the Napoli naturally fit that slim?
US 38 = Euro 48 typically. No alternations to the pants other than hemming the length.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically, the legs aren't tight. But they are narrow and fit more like jeans than suit pants, which usually isn't the best thing in a corporate environment.

OP - the more useful comment is that you should first contemplate your environment, i.e. where will this suit be worn, around who, what is currently acceptable or not acceptable, etc. Are you working with young people? Are you working with old people? do they wear suits, or just chinos and an occasional sportcoat? stuff like that is what I'd consider during your search.

While I said the Napoli is more business-like than fashion, I admit that the jacket is cut a touch slimmer and shorter, say than your OTR JAB suit or a Brooks Brothers Madison.

That's true (the more important part). By the way, in case it needs to be said, JAB is Jos. A. Bank, which probably very few people in Europe wear. Also, there should be a middle ground available between Suit Supply suits and conservative-looking suits.

R D K

Reaction score
"Tight" and "narrow" is relative, and frankly personal preference, and you can't tell all proportions from one robo-pose picture that measures less than 4"x2" on the monitor, from a picture taken as I quickly turn around to beat the timer. Besides a little snugness in the waist, as I already acknowledged and causes the quarters to open a little, it does not restrict my movement, pants are not anywhere near nuthugging in the crotch or riding up my crack, and I can sit properly at my desk, sign term sheets and documents, gossip at the water cooler, walk to lunch, drive to calls, and drink beer, all comfortably. All of your "observed issues" have had no bearing on the success I have in my job, and I wear this suit usually once a week. I'm a slim, athletic guy, and I don't like "classic" proportions or sack suits. And by the way, i didn't make any adjustments to the pants, so every single person who has purchased a suit supply suit is wearing what you say is too tight.
dozingoff.gif

Exactly this, I want a suit that compliments my figure, preferably a slim fit while still being comfortable to wear.
And since it's my first suit I think it's more important that it's a business suit instead of a fashion suit, but I still want it to look good.

I don't know exactly yet where I will be working when I get my degree but from what I've seen at the companies in the sector a slim suit has almost become the standard, especially among younger people.
US 38 = Euro 48 typically.

No alternations to the pants other than hemming the length.
Great, I appreciate you taking the time to give me all this info!

bigbergers

Reaction score
for my first suit, I just went to Debenhams and bought a light gray suit. Nothing extraordinary but it's all I could afford that time.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Napoli suit is on the skinny side, but young people do often dress that way nowadays, even at corporate law firms, or at M&A firms, corpfin advisory, and so forth.
I wouldn't recommend it, but I doubt it will affect your career. Maybe more likely in the States where people are so conservative; but highly unlikely in Continental Europe.

FillW

Reaction score
This must be the third thread on this subject in the last 24 hours. Seems a little odd that so many cannot take their own decisions.

I regret that you cannot fit clothes on the Internet. A photograph of part of you in a tee shirt (nothing wrong with tee shirts) and two style names does not give any basis to start.

You need to take yourself to a bricks and mortar shop and see what fits: If it does no feel right it will not be right. Ask locally who you can trust.

Dark blue is fine for a first suit assuming it is plain.

You mights also try:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/302593/styleforum-101
He's just asking for advice and that's what this forum is for or so I thought.
They're too short and tight (above and below the waist). The shaved head only matters because of the athletic/shaved head hooligan thing, which is a perception the suit styling shouldn't reinforce.

If you still want to try SuitSupply, go to one of its Netherlands stores and see if anything fits like, for example, a recent Justin Timberlake suit does.
No, don't...

lol8[1].gif

FillW

Reaction score
Haha great post, I was also kinda suprised to hear that a shaved head might be a problem in finance, so it's good to hear not everybody thinks it is.

People say a shaved head looks good on me, and luckily I have a friendly face so I don't really look like a neo-nazi ;)
Just make sure the suit fits your shoulders first of all and that it isn't too boxy. Then make sure it isn't too short or long. Look up Phat Guido on this forum.

Don't worry about the shaved head. Look at VictorSreturn for a guy you can refer to for great style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics