• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you find that there are general expectation as far as dry-cleaning goes before shipping? When I buy, anything that comes into the house will get cleaned/washed by myself before I wear it rather than trusting/expecting the seller to do it. Some of my items have the mothball smell from the thrift store, so I was wondering what you have found general buyer expectations to be. Adding a dry-cleaning bill to every item will really cut into some of the low-margin items.
According to the ebay guidelines used clothing should be cleaned prior to selling, but I'm sure most people (myself included) do not have items drycleaned. I specifically mention if there are any spots which need attention, or do the spot cleaning myself before listing. I would imagine most people are going to have the items dry cleaned anyway.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I spot treat my items with a wet paper towel. They're clean, I promise :hide:

Mox C

Reaction score

I specifically mention if there are any spots which need attention, or do the spot cleaning myself before listing. I would imagine most people are going to have the items dry cleaned anyway.
Thanks guys. That's what makes sense to me: any spots, stains, etc., get treated by a reasonable attempt, and if they remain, they get disclosed; washable items get washed.

Calder

Reaction score
Buying tip: keep a search going for auctions of women's handkerchiefs. Many people are idiots and will list Gentlemen's Pocket Squares there.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a "technical term" for the extra material tucked inside a sport coat / blazer sleeve, for purposes of potential lengthening? I have always called it the "leave" because I thought I read that somewhere but it's probably incorrect.

Tip: if a sport coat / blazer outer pocket is still sewn shut, it's called "basted" shut...I've seen eBay listings for handmade jackets that say "pockets still factory sewn shut", and that certainly can't help gain interest.

Mox C

Reaction score

Is there a "technical term" for the extra material tucked inside a sport coat / blazer sleeve, for purposes of potential lengthening?  I have always called it the "leave" because I thought I read that somewhere but it's probably incorrect.

I've seen the term "let-out", which is what I've started using. It's descriptive, at least.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A note to sellers: if you are going to ship internationally (and I wish more did) - can you please describe the item accurately on the shipping label?

1. If you are shipping used items, please write 'Used / Second-hand X' not just 'X', because customs officers are much less likely to slap large amounts of tax on used items.

2. Please specify the value of the item as the actual purchase price not what you think it is worth. If I have bought an item for $100, I don't expect to have to pay import duties for $500 worth of goods just because that is what they originally retailed for. The value for customs purposes is the price the buyer paid for the item(s).

I have had both these problems recently and while it is possible to successfully dispute the amounts of tax placed on items by customs in Canada, it is a real hassle to have to do this.

Thank-you!

mjt73106

Reaction score
A note to sellers: if you are going to ship internationally (and I wish more did) - can you please describe the item accurately on the shipping label?

1. If you are shipping used items, please write 'Used / Second-hand X' not just 'X', because customs officers are much less likely to slap large amounts of tax on used items.

2. Please specify the value of the item as the actual purchase price not what you think it is worth. If I have bought an item for $100, I don't expect to have to pay import duties for $500 worth of goods just because that is what they originally retailed for. The value for customs purposes is the price the buyer paid for the item(s).

I have had both these problems recently and while it is possible to successfully dispute the amounts of tax placed on items by customs in Canada, it is a real hassle to have to do this.

Thank-you!
Good to know, while we do not see much duty on foreign shipments in the US, it is amazing on how much duty can be in some countries. FYI if you ship USPS via eBay the description on the customs form automatically populates with the exact working in the title description. So the great adjectives like gorgeous, amazing, almost new, perfect, etc. all go into the customs description. I try to edit the customs description to the bare minimum; Used shoes, used shirt. . .

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank-you!

Good to know, especially the "used" part.

here's one for buyers: Don't ask me to dramatically falsify the customs information then leave negative feedback about it when I don't.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

[COLOR=0000CD]Good to know, while we do not see much duty on foreign shipments in the US, it is amazing on how much duty can be in some countries. FYI  if you ship USPS via eBay the description on the customs form automatically populates with the exact working in the title description. So the great adjectives like gorgeous, amazing, almost new, perfect, etc. all go into the customs description. I try to edit the customs description to the bare minimum; Used shoes, used shirt. . . [/COLOR]

We have a 20% VAT on incoming things. However, things things that have been sent via USPS to me have never gotten flagged. I don't know if it's Austria or my luck, but I even sent a new Kitchen-Aid here that weighed 35kg and didn't have to pay. ANYTHING sent via UPS, FedEx or DHL from outside the EU always incurs costs. They collect VAT on everything (listed price + shipping) and turn it in to the Austrian government.

I ordered 3 t-shirts from the US with a total cost of about $30 from a company. They charged about $35 to ship them, not a huge deal. However, they first went to AUSTRALIA and then to Austria over the course of about 6 weeks. When they arrived to my door, I had to pay around €20 cash to the guy to get them.

Good to know, especially the "used" part.
here's one for buyers: Don't ask me to dramatically falsify the customs information then leave negative feedback about it when I don't.

I don't know why a seller would agree to that. I wouldn't deviate from any policies that I have for myself. I receive questions every time from Germans that complain about shipping prices from Austria. Yesterday, I received 2 questions about items that Germans won and asked if I'd send them uninsured, presumably to save the money. I always point out that I make nothing from shipping and send insured via Austrian Post. I give them the exact weight and the link to the calculator. I also let them know that insurance is about 50 cents and that I won't ship without it. What they usually don't know is that if they outright refuse to pay the insurance, I'll pay it myself.

I lost one package (possibly mis-delivered, it was never returned) on a great looking Brioni shirt that was just a bit too big for me. I sent it within Austria and the guy claimed it never arrived. I didn't argue, just apologized and refunded his money. I also learned that everything needs to be insured.

Does anyone allow/offer free pick up? I had one guy in my city ask if he could meet me to pick up a shirt. It wasn't terribly inconvenient for me, so I agreed and it was actually pretty simple. He met me at the right place and time and by the time I walked home (10 minutes) he had already left positive feedback. Curious if anyone else is willing to do that?

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thank-you!
Thanks for the tip! I hate that my buyers have to pay so much just to receive the item after they have already paid for it. I wouldn't want to unknowingly add to that cost by using a poor description.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone allow/offer free pick up? I had one guy in my city ask if he could meet me to pick up a shirt. It wasn't terribly inconvenient for me, so I agreed and it was actually pretty simple. He met me at the right place and time and by the time I walked home (10 minutes) he had already left positive feedback. Curious if anyone else is willing to do that?
I have done free pick up on several occasions. Actually, through ebay, I found a SF lurker in my town and have dealt with him 3 or 4 times now. Otherwise, I have sold several large items with free local pickup or a cost per mile for me to deliver it within a XX mile radius. Sold a dirt bike, wood stove and a lawn mower this way.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought I would share a (thus far) successful story of diffusing an upset client post sale :

Item - $575+ handbag.

HER:

I received the purse today. THis is NOT the SIZE bag of the TOTE that was described. It is much smaller then the descriptions. I understand it is preowned, and that is not the issue. It is the size. I do not want this bag. I thought I was purchasing the larger TOTE bag. I own 2 of those and they are much bigger.
Not as described in the description.
How do you want to handle my returning this item.

ME:

Hi XXX -

Glad the bag got there safe, but sorry you feel the measurements are off - what measurements are you coming up with? The bag was measured flat on a table, unstuffed, of course. Below, copied again from the auction are my measurements. Let me know and thanks again :

(measurements)

HER:
The measurements are close. I thought it was more a tote. It is too small for me. I am understanding that you said No Returns. I do not like or want the bag. That size bag was ever $4000.00. I believe it was misrepresented. It is your choice whether to allow me to return and give me a refund or not. I will then check what EBay Buyers Protection provides to unhappy buyers.

ME:
Hi XXX -

Thanks again for writing. The bags measurements and description were accurately represented - as you can see by measuring the bag yourself. There are no refunds based on this, as they were clearly included in the auction. I am sorry that you don't like the bag, but I do suggest that you check the measurements before bidding, thats why they are posted.

I can offer you to use my photos from the auction should you want to re-sell the bag online. Ordinarily thats not something I do, but if it helps you, I would be more than happy to allow permission.

Please let me know if I can assist with anything else and thank you once more.

HER:
I have never sold anything on Ebay. So I will attempt to do it. I would greatly appreciate your pictures. Can you send them to me? I don't know what 'format' you can send them in via Ebay. And I am not tech saavy. So if it's not easy via Ebay, you can send them to my personal email:
[email protected].
Thank You. I will obviously never buy anything again with NO RETURNS:)

I sent her a very long and detailed email on the best way to maximize her listing - so, lets see, but I thought the exchange was worth a share here.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heads up - added two new deadbeats to the blacklist. 23 days since the auctions closed, 2 invoices sent to each, 1 unpaid case opened on both with no response at all. Closed the cases and got my fees back - you might wanna check the blacklist and update your own - they are both still active users on eBay...now with 1 unpaid strike each (but i can't leave negative feedback for them since they never paid to begin with).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads