• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Make a fake listing and see how it looks without submitting it. Try a few of the templates to see which one you like the best.

This is great idea - I only thought of it after I started using the tool. I'd even go so far as to say create a 99 cent listing and post it and then view it from your computer and/or your mobile. Even try to revise it, just to get the hang of it when there's no pressure.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Built a light tent last night out of a cardboard box and some muslin - it's big enough for ties only. The slope in the back is made from poster board, muslin is used on the outside of the box for diffusion. Thinking of making a larger one that can fit my mannequin, if I have room.
Just MHO, but shots like this, with the item surrounded by white, look ungrounded to me, like the first paintings and sketches I did when I was first learning. We were always taught to put the items onto some solid object, for balance, perspective and grounding. My pictures may not be awesome, but I like to use a plain old, matte finish Valentino suit bag as my background. I don't love the wrinkles in it, but I do think the object looks more grounded. (Random picture chosen from my Photobucket album) Edit: And one more...

Last edited:

Luvwine

Reaction score
Okay, I have one item for sale on EBay, it is a JM Weston pair of shoes model 423. The link is here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JM-Weston-M...8290636?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3f224b28cc

There is currently one bid on the shoes but the buyer is in South Korea! My ad says shipping to: United States. The buyer has positive feedback but none for the past twelve months. Think it is a scam? Should I tell the guy to fly a kite? Tell him okay, but payment in advance? Not sure how to handle and any advice is appreciated.

Thanks much.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

This is great idea - I only thought of it after I started using the tool. I'd even go so far as to say create a 99 cent listing and post it and then view it from your computer and/or your mobile. Even try to revise it, just to get the hang of it when there's no pressure.
That's a great idea! I would guess that in the next year, my listings will be entirely different in their appearance simply because I tweak something every time I view my own listings. It gives you a better overview, especially when you view it on an iPad or mobile.
Just MHO, but shots like this, with the item surrounded by white, look ungrounded to me, like the first paintings and sketches I did when I was first learning. We were always taught to put the items onto some solid object, for balance, perspective and grounding. My pictures may not be awesome, but I like to use a plain old, matte finish Valentino suit bag as my background. I don't love the wrinkles in it, but I do think the object looks more grounded. (Random picture chosen from my Photobucket album) Edit: And one more...
I had never considered that aspect, but it rings true. I don't like a complicated background, but something to give it balance. Mine are taken on a tabletop (sort of) platform, but I used to use a black tabletop 3+ years go. I do like your table/set up.
Okay, I have one item for sale on EBay, it is a JM Weston pair of shoes model 423. The link is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JM-Weston-M...8290636?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3f224b28cc There is currently one bid on the shoes but the buyer is in South Korea! My ad says shipping to: United States. The buyer has positive feedback but none for the past twelve months. Think it is a scam? Should I tell the guy to fly a kite? Tell him okay, but payment in advance? Not sure how to handle and any advice is appreciated. Thanks much.
Well, for starters, payments are always made in advance :) Next, decide if you'd like to ship abroad. If you don't want to, prepare to cancel the bid. If you're open to it, research shipping costs to South Korea and be prepared to revise the invoice to allow him to pay (with his address) and the correct amount. I've often asked sellers if they'll ship to me even though their listing says US only. The vast majority of the time, they agree but often forget that I can't pay them until it lets me enter my foreign address. Finally, he may be using a commercial proxy service. That means he'll pay using a US based address who will then forward his purchase to him and you would have never known he was in Korea unless you checked. I don't know of the risks, or whether there actually are any, associated with this.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just MHO, but shots like this, with the item surrounded by white, look ungrounded to me, like the first paintings and sketches I did when I was first learning. We were always taught to put the items onto some solid object, for balance, perspective and grounding.
My pictures may not be awesome, but I like to use a plain old, matte finish Valentino suit bag as my background. I don't love the wrinkles in it, but I do think the object looks more grounded. (Random picture chosen from my Photobucket album) Edit: And one more...
There is definitely some truth to that. I think the white can work better for some objects, not so great for others. One thing I like is the conformity it gives the listings when scrolling through a seller's item list. While the grounded photos that you describe are nice when you're actually looking at them in full fize, I think the white background displays the item better when the photo is the size of an avatar, or slightly larger - which is how the listing would appear in search results.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

There is definitely some truth to that. I think the white can work better for some objects, not so great for others. One thing I like is the conformity it gives the listings when scrolling through a seller's item list. While the grounded photos that you describe are nice when you're actually looking at them in full fize, I think the white background displays the item better when the photo is the size of an avatar, or slightly larger - which is how the listing would appear in search results.

Would the answer then be to have one with the white background for search results and the rest with some sort of backdrop? I know most people likely go by keywords in a title, a quick glance at the thumbnail and a check on the price before they click the auction. Once they're on the auction, the goal is to get them to stay with tons of photos.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Getting really tired of ebay :confused: Don't understand why people feel the need to be so hostile from first contact.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I bought some hard drives ~6-7 months ago with intent to resell but got lazy and they've been sitting around in my room. Finally got them listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111014565374

Hi-
I just received the WD portable hard drive that I ord3red from you. Thank you for the fast delivery.
However- as I read- and just reread the description, it says new/unopened/unused.
It obviously was opened and some scratches on it make me wonder if it was used.
Then when I looked at your ad again, it says- up in the "headline" "new condiition".
Had I noticed that, I would not have bought it, but saw the other words that I was looking for in your description- "new/unopened".
I'm not happy about this.
I wanted a NEW WD my passport 500GB hard drive.
What are we going to do?
I look forward to hearing a resolution from you.
Thanks

I thought the buyer may have been referring to the box because there was a giant sticker on it from the store that had all of my personal information, which I of course had to remove.

Hi XXXX,
I'm very sorry to hear about this situation. Are you referring to scratches on the drive itself or on the box? New condition does mean brand new.
Thank you,

"Brand new/unopened". NOT!!!
The box was obviousdly opened and the scratches are ON THE DRIVE ITSELF. Certainly not UNOPENED- looks like someone tried to "clean it up".
I won't know if it is UNUSED until my computer maven comes to help me set it up, but this is not what I thought I was buying.
New condition sounds to me ( and to friends that I conferred with) like " not really new, but reconditioned- or cleaned up to look like new"
At any rate- it certainly was not UNOPENED!! And if it is new, why is it all scratched up?

Please calm down. I purchased the drive brand new from a store, so if it has been used then it must have been a return that the store did not check out thoroughly. I did not open to inspect it as I assumed it would be brand new and had no reason to suspect otherwise. Had I known, I never would have listed it as new -- there have not been any issues with the other drives I sold. I do not know where you are getting the phrase "new condition" from though as those are not my words and not present in my listing.
Please ship it back to me and send me a receipt of the shipment. I will provide you a full refund or exchange if you wish and reimburse the return shipping costs. Again, I'm very sorry that this has happened to you, but I will do my best to correct the issue. Please let me know if this is agreeable and if you wish to proceed with either a refund or exchange.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I get almost internally irate when people ask me questions which are clearly answered in the title, description and photos.

Number one question used to be "Do I measure from the bottom of the collar or the top? I added that to the details and it has stopped 90% of them.

New top question is "Are the pants pleated or flat front?" Really? It is clearly written in the description and there is a closeup of the pleats. Most of the titles even state it!

Number two top question "Do the shoes have rubber or leather soles?"

Why does no one read anything? Why do I bother even writing a description? Of course I answer all if them as politely as possible, all the time imagining myself reaching through their computer screen and smacking them across the face.

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I get almost internally irate when people ask me questions which are clearly answered in the title, description and photos.

Number one question used to be "do i measure from the bottom of the collar or the top? I added that to the details and it has stopped 90% of them.

New top question is "Are the pants pleated or flat front?" Really? It is clearly written in the description and there is a closeup of the pleats. Most of the titles even state it!

Number two top question "Do the shoes have rubber or leather soles?"

Why does no one read anything? Why do I bother even writing a description? Of course I answer all if them as politely as possible, all the time imagining myself tracking through their computer screen and smacking them across the face.

How many millimeters is the prince of wales pattern?
puzzled.gif

Napaduck

Reaction score
Just got my first negative feedback WTF. Not sure what to do, as it's simply ridiculous?

Guy wrote.

"Pants and Jacket wrongly described, not close in size...at least 2 sizes off."

I listed measurements for the jacket and pants, and included a link to how I measure them. I know they were right.
I also offer free returns if there's a problem with my listing.... The guy never contacted me, just gave me a negative feedback?
Didn't even ask for a return?

If I message him and offer a return, can he change his feedback? How do I protect myself here?

Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Francos-Seersucker-Suit-42L-/261163427576

Any help on this? Sent him a message and got no response.. Starting to sell more and this brought my feedback from 100 to 93.3... Have since made my listings more professional and with more noob friendly sizing explanations.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Any help on this? Sent him a message and got no response..  Starting to sell more and this brought my feedback from 100 to 93.3... Have since made my listings more professional and with more noob friendly sizing explanations. 

I believe there is a way for him to request to revise his feedback, but if he is unresponsive then you probably have very little recourse. It's extraordinarily unfortunate, especially since he did not contact you first, but I don't think there will be a lot you can do :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads