• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chiron

Reaction score
Observation...

The 1'st and 15th of the month play a larger role in determining final price then ending auctions on Sundays.

Thoughts???

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Updated: February 2013
Buyers must contact you first to resolve any issues. Opened cases no longer count.

eBay has always encouraged buyers to contact sellers to resolve any issue with their purchases. Starting in April 2013, buyers will be required to contact sellers first through the Resolution Center for issues relating to 'item not received' or 'item not as described'. This will ensure you have the opportunity to serve your customers before eBay gets involved.
Buyers will be required to wait at least three business days for you to respond and attempt to resolve the issue before asking eBay to get involved.
You'll be notified via Messages when a buyer has contacted you regarding an issue and a case will automatically be opened in the Resolution Center.
Opened cases will no longer be used for seller performance standards evaluation. Only cases that are escalated to eBay for review and are not found in your favor by eBay will count.
All communication from buyers regarding 'items not received' and 'items not as described' will be in one place in the Resolution Center, making it easy to track and respond without having to monitor Messages and the Resolution Center. Plus you'll have the tools you need to resolve issues quickly—for example, you can provide tracking, issue a refund, invite a return, or just communicate with your buyer.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Steve Smith this is just freaking hilarious...I'll still buy from you though :)

"My only negative was from a guy in Hong Kong who bought a Thom Browne blouse which was clearly described as a women's blouse. It didn't fit (no ****) and he demanded a return. I politely advised him to resell it. He left negative."

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Fellow dudes/users of Garagesale. Is this something I can hit the ground running with on a basic level? If I download it right now, can I expect to have some basic ads posted tomorrow without much more effort than just posting via ebay? I need to start trading my closet's steez for cheese.

Napaduck

Reaction score
Fellow dudes/users of Garagesale. Is this something I can hit the ground running with on a basic level? If I download it right now, can I expect to have some basic ads posted tomorrow without much more effort than just posting via ebay? I need to start trading my closet's steez for cheese.

Yeah I just downloaded it the other day and found it pretty straightforward. Have a bunch of listings scheduled tomorrow with it. You can at least choose a simple template and get started. Take the 10 mins or so to watch one of the demo videos.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Observation...

The 1'st and 15th of the month play a larger role in determining final price then ending auctions on Sundays.

Thoughts???

Interesting theory. Is the idea that people are feeling flush around payday and are more likely to bid higher amounts then? My paydays don't usually fall on those days/weekends perfectly though—I'm sure there's lots of variance.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Built a light tent last night out of a cardboard box and some muslin - it's big enough for ties only. The slope in the back is made from poster board, muslin is used on the outside of the box for diffusion. Thinking of making a larger one that can fit my mannequin, if I have room.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Built a light tent last night out of a cardboard box and some muslin - it's big enough for ties only. The slope in the back is made from poster board, muslin is used on the outside of the box for diffusion. Thinking of making a larger one that can fit my mannequin, if I have room.

Nice. Would love to see a photo of the box itself and light setup.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice. Would love to see a photo of the box itself and light setup.

It's a hideous looking thing, but I'll post it up later. I didn't want to waste time last night making it look pretty before I started snapping pics. For the picture of that tie, I used 2 clamp lights from Home Depot or Lowes, and each light has a 100W CFL daylight bulb in it. They are both positioned above the box, about 3-4 inches away from the muslin. You could substitute a white t-shirt or white bed sheet for the muslin, although you probably wouldn't wanna go too thick on the sheet. For the backdrop, I used a piece of poster board material I found at Jo Ann Fabric. It makes a perfect sweep because it doesn't wrinkle like muslin would, although for larger setups poster board would be hard to find in such a large size, so seamless paper would be an alternative (or muslin).

I'm making one out of PVC pipe tonight that will house the mannequin. It's basically just a 3-D cube with the muslin draped over it, and muslin used as the sweeping backdrop since I don't have poster board near large enough for a tent that big. A little ironing should take care of the wrinkling problem. I'm also going to upgrade to 4 clamp lights for a total of 400W with the ability to aim a floor lamp at the setup for ad additional 100W if I need it.

This isn't my box, but it's the same basic setup:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Photo looks great! I'd love to know a bit more about it as well or get a good idea. I like your idea for PVC for the whole mannequin. Is there any worry of heat from the lamps?

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Not really any worry of heat (that would melt the pvc) from CFL's, especially if there's any ventilation at all.

Built a similar setup for a friend (pvc cube made from home depot's sprinkler aisle pipes and elbows. Come to think of it, for another friend, we built 6 foot tall frames out of pvc that could stand on their own, which we draped white bed sheets over and shot lights through. With the right amount of light, it covered a person over 6 feet tall from head to toe on a white seamless background.

Going to go try garage sale now... Thanks for the info!

hmmurdock

Reaction score

It's a hideous looking thing, but I'll post it up later. I didn't want to waste time last night making it look pretty before I started snapping pics. For the picture of that tie, I used 2 clamp lights from Home Depot or Lowes, and each light has a 100W CFL daylight bulb in it. They are both positioned above the box, about 3-4 inches away from the muslin. You could substitute a white t-shirt or white bed sheet for the muslin, although you probably wouldn't wanna go too thick on the sheet. For the backdrop, I used a piece of poster board material I found at Jo Ann Fabric. It makes a perfect sweep because it doesn't wrinkle like muslin would, although for larger setups poster board would be hard to find in such a large size, so seamless paper would be an alternative (or muslin).

I'm making one out of PVC pipe tonight that will house the mannequin. It's basically just a 3-D cube with the muslin draped over it, and muslin used as the sweeping backdrop since I don't have poster board near large enough for a tent that big. A little ironing should take care of the wrinkling problem. I'm also going to upgrade to 4 clamp lights for a total of 400W with the ability to aim a floor lamp at the setup for ad additional 100W if I need it.

This isn't my box, but it's the same basic setup:

I bought a couple of these guys to increase the light output.

http://www.amazon.com/Photo-Basics-...8&qid=1361479757&sr=8-1&keywords=multiple+cfl

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Not really any worry of heat (that would melt the pvc) from CFL's, especially if there's any ventilation at all.

Built a similar setup for a friend (pvc cube made from home depot's sprinkler aisle pipes and elbows. Come to think of it, for another friend, we built 6 foot tall frames out of pvc that could stand on their own, which we draped white bed sheets over and shot lights through. With the right amount of light, it covered a person over 6 feet tall from head to toe on a white seamless background. 

Going to go try garage sale now... Thanks for the info!

I completely forgot to respond to your GarageSale info request. I got started using it about a month ago. Pretty intuitive, spend some time figuring out the basics before you list. Make a fake listing and see how it looks without submitting it. Try a few of the templates to see which one you like the best. Other than that, pretty straight forward!

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Photo looks great! I'd love to know a bit more about it as well or get a good idea. I like your idea for PVC for the whole mannequin. Is there any worry of heat from the lamps?

The CFLs didn't get very hot, even after being on for over an hour. PVC seems to be the easiest way to build it. Even if you had a cardboard box that size, it would be a lot more work having to cut out holes in the sides, not to mention it would be pretty flimsy.

Hopefully I'll have it built tonight and I can post photos.

I wish I could get those locally. I might go down that road if my setup isn't bright enough.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads