• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying and Selling... everything.... Now designer clothes/ accessories

ClassActPat

Reaction score
So I am brand new to this forum.
But I have been following it for a while now.
I love it.
Anyways, I wanted to put a post out here for the buy and sellers of all items.
You find a great deal on an item, and you buy it with the soul intent on reselling it.
My wife and I have been doing this for about a year now and it seems to be making us some serious money.
We specialize in mostly antiques, but i have recently started buying up designer suits and such for some seriously low prices.
I feel like I have stumbled upon a gold mine. haha
But being as I have never been a real fashionable guy, I have questions to ask about some of things i recently purchased.
I am going to put the link to my ebay page on here for the purpose of getting advice. This is not a shameless plug in the wrong thread... please do not think that. This is merely a man asking for some advice an direction while stepping into this new playing field.
Mainly I would like to know just two things:
1.) Are these sought after brands that I have listed.
and
2.) Are my asking prices too ridiculous.
Please be honest, but please dont rip me apart either. Like I said... I am new to this whole area of expertise and I am looking for any advice at all.

Here is my ebay link
http://www.ebay.com/sch/qualitygoodsresale/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Thanks in advance for any help.
I look forward to reading any responses.
Pat

yakmerchant

Reaction score
Not going to weigh in on the brands or the prices, But if you are going to seriously sell on ebay or here (or anywhere for that matter),

if you really want full value, you better
A.) Figure out how to have a lot more than 1 picture (i.e. host remotely and link in body).
B. ) Figure out how to take good pictures with good lighting.
C. ) Learn how to take very good and and correct measurements
D.) Buy a decent mannequin. and"pin" the jacket if necessary to make it fit the mannequin.
E.) Steam/press the suit before taking pictures.

First and foremost learn how to measure. I don't give a flying crap about the price or brand if it doesn't fit. If the shoulders on a jacket are more than a 1/4 of inch off my measurements I don't even consider it. Your "See tag for size" (when there is no size on the tag) and the I'm 250lbs and it fits me isn't going to get it for 99% of the people around here.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not going to weigh in on the brands or the prices, But if you are going to seriously sell on ebay or here (or anywhere for that matter),
if you really want full value, you better
A.) Figure out how to have a lot more than 1 picture (i.e. host remotely and link in body).
B. ) Figure out how to take good pictures with good lighting.
C. ) Learn how to take very good and and correct measurements
D.) Buy a decent mannequin. and"pin" the jacket if necessary to make it fit the mannequin.
E.) Steam/press the suit before taking pictures.
First and foremost learn how to measure. I don't give a flying crap about the price or brand if it doesn't fit. If the shoulders on a jacket are more than a 1/4 of inch off my measurements I don't even consider it. Your "See tag for size" (when there is no size on the tag) and the I'm 250lbs and it fits me isn't going to get it for 99% of the people around here.

Good points. Also, the whole "I don't know much about this suit" routine basically gives the impression that I (as a customer) shouldn't pay much money for it. If you dont know much about it, study and learn what it is, and mark it accordingly. A listing and layout from a seller who appears to know his stuff will fetch more money than one who looks like he stumbled upon some suits at a thrift store and is just seeing what he can get from it.

If you know nothing about it, it's obvious you paid nothing for it... so why should I give you a substantial markup? Again, just psychology of buyer/seller.

Best of luck!

ClassActPat

Reaction score
Good points. Also, the whole "I don't know much about this suit" routine basically gives the impression that I (as a customer) shouldn't pay much money for it. If you dont know much about it, study and learn what it is, and mark it accordingly. A listing and layout from a seller who appears to know his stuff will fetch more money than one who looks like he stumbled upon some suits at a thrift store and is just seeing what he can get from it.
If you know nothing about it, it's obvious you paid nothing for it... so why should I give you a substantial markup? Again, just psychology of buyer/seller.
Best of luck!
Thank you to the both of you for the advice. I did some research and got the measurements down pretty pat.
I am editing the ads as I am posting this.
Pretty dumb of me to try and sell something that involves many different size measurements... without including any of the measurements.
Thanks for not ripping me apart as well hahaha.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thank you to the both of you for the advice. I did some research and got the measurements down pretty pat.
I am editing the ads as I am posting this.
Pretty dumb of me to try and sell something that involves many different size measurements... without including any of the measurements.
Thanks for not ripping me apart as well hahaha.

You're welcome. It's all just intended to help you make a better profit. With designer and/or luxe stuff, image is important. Think about it... why do Gucci or Louis vuitton maintain stores on madison Ave that cost millions of dollars per month in a lease? Image.

If they had a broken down store in an alleyway and, upon entering, told you "eh, I don't know much about this stuff, but here's the bag," it's doubtful they could get thousands of bucks for stuff.

Best of luck and enjoy it! even if the money isn't great, spending time with your wife scouting out interesting stores, going over the information, should be fun for both of you.

ClassActPat

Reaction score
I am absolutely loving this. And I am finding great clothes for myself as well.
I completely get what you are saying about "image".
Thanks again.

TradThrifter

Reaction score
It is certainly a lot of fun. I love clothes. Too bad I can no longer use ebay. One of my buddies was selling mass produced knock-offs on my account! Stay legit and keep your nose clean and you can stay around for a long time. Best of luck

Brandon Alan

Reaction score
The way I see it is that people wear them to fit in. People are being pressured to wear them or they end up being bullied or beat up, Its a disgrace! I done a little experiment a few years back, I bought some Nike branded shoes and some plain branded ones in the same style/design. The minute i walked out the door people started making fun and getting into fights with me. The next week I walked out with the Nike shoes and suddenly everything changed, People would comment and talk about them in a good way. Its just stupid that as soon as an athlete or someone famous wears them there automatically in fashion. People should stop judging and bullying people for what they wear and start looking for personality instead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads