• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burgers....Hamburgers, Cheeseburgers, Burgers

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love this little local burger spot in Bethesda, MD (suburban DC) called City Burger. Think I'll have me some today!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never been to Shake Shack, but 5 Guys, while good, is like my salt intake for a week.

~

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shake Shack is overpriced and overrated...and their shakes aren't that good.

Honestly though, the burgers are pretty dang good. I'd eat them over five guys any day, but I don't think I can make it out of there for under $15 on a normal day, while I can probably do five guys for 10. (and at five guys, that gets you a double patty and better fries, although no shake).

Smash burger is pretty similar, cheaper, and I think some of the topping combos are better. And the rosemary olive oil fries beat out shake shack's food-service-supply grade crinkle fries.

Last edited:

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
need to try smash burger.
5 guys does not get the sear that i like, the patty seems crumbly and mealy sometimes.
love dat smoke shack, the cherry peppers cut through it nicely.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone like The Habit? I think their burgers are great. I always get the deep fried green beans with it too. More fiber than fries and less calories.

I ought to get one for lunch today.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made burgers this weekend. No grill unfortunately, so I just cooked them on a ridged cast iron skillet with canola oil on high heat. I used some organic ground chuck, and ground up a mixture of red onion and red pepper along with a little bread and an egg to mix into the burger meat. Holy **** was it juicy and delicious while still getting a good crust and sear on the outside. Just plain Boar's Head cheddar, thick cut, on top with raw red onions and arugula all on a potato roll.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Smashburger and it was just as otc described, a cheeseburger and fries for <$10. Good patty, nice presentation too.

@otc I also just got the Acadia burger and I have to say it's the best in Chicago for me atm. Owen and Engine is a close second but Acadia's patty has three cuts of beef which really got me (plus a really nice cheese). Used to love Au Cheval but after these monster patties with good quality beef I don't think I can go back.

IChen

Reaction score
I like Smashburger but I generally order the chicken burgers and they give a pretty good portion. Not the biggest fans of their fries but their milkshakes aren't bad at all.
Five Guys to me is cool because you can customize but way too salty so never eating their again.
Shake Shack is pretty overrated, burgers are alright and shakes...ehh.

Love Boston Burger Company, more eating at restaurant but hell yeah is it good, amazing fries that I can't eat immediately because too hot. Also extra points for fun burgers, especially moments when guys order the one with 3-4 stacked onion rings and tries to eat a 5 inch burger....then things comes flying out at them
shog[1].gif
nod[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
absolutely hilarious
lol8[1].gif

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smashburger gave me a $2 off coupon for chicken burgers so I'll be sure to go try that

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I went to Smashburger and it was just as otc described, a cheeseburger and fries for <$10. Good patty, nice presentation too. 

@otc
 I also just got the Acadia burger and I have to say it's the best in Chicago for me atm. Owen and Engine is a close second but Acadia's patty has three cuts of beef which really got me (plus a really nice cheese). Used to love Au Cheval but after these monster patties with good quality beef I don't think I can go back. 

Acadia is pretty good, although I believe the burger rotates seasonally (or at least it used to) so I may not have had the current iteration. $18 a burger though...for the same money, you can get the lobster roll :)

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I went because I wanted ramen but that's no longer available... (it's been a while). I had their mushroom burger before, but right now it's the original cheese+bacon jam burger. I agree about the price, I was paying mostly to satisfy my curiosity.

Call me weird, but I prefer my lobster whole without any bread distracting me. But... next time.

Gingahbman

Reaction score

@otc
 I also just got the Acadia burger and I have to say it's the best in Chicago for me atm. Owen and Engine is a close second but Acadia's patty has three cuts of beef which really got me (plus a really nice cheese). Used to love Au Cheval but after these monster patties with good quality beef I don't think I can go back. 

All three of these places sound delicious. I look forward to trying at least one of them when I go to Chicago in a couple of weeks. I see Au Cheval has a place called Small Cheval just for burgers. Can anyone attest that they taste the same as the main joint?

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been but I've read reports that Small Cheval is not quite as good (which is kind of expected). It's cheaper without a huge wait though...

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Smashburger is way overpriced. $14.00 out the door for a burger, coke, and fries, and the patty that you get is pitiful.

Five Guys is decent, but I think Wendy's burger is as good, and cheaper.

Whataburger is my favorite fast food burger. Perfect drunk food.

McDonald's regular hamburger is a good cheap quick lunch. Tastes like moist cardboard, but you get two for less than $2.00, and the calorie count is not too bad.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Smashburger is way overpriced. $14.00 out the door for a burger, coke, and fries, and the patty that you get is pitiful.

Five Guys is decent, but I think Wendy's burger is as good, and cheaper.

Whataburger is my favorite fast food burger. Perfect drunk food.

McDonald's regular hamburger is a good cheap quick lunch. Tastes like moist cardboard, but you get two for less than $2.00, and the calorie count is not too bad.

What Wendy's I've had the past few years has been horrid even by junk fast-food standards. The burger always comes in a shambles, glopped all over with condiments. Rubbery burger... bleh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads