1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Brooks Brothers: Trendy for Young Professionals

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BrooksBrotherChar, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

Their storefront mannequins are dressed up as variations of this. A boss of mine (owner of the company actually) pretty much buys everything from BB, and he always looks... dorky. Rich, but dorky. Like Richie Rich!

It doesn't look like what grown men wear. It looks like what you'd dress your kid up in for prep school... or Hogwarts University.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Looks good. If my daughter brought home her first BF and he dressed like that, I would offer him my hand and say "put it right there son". Provided his handshake was not some limp offering, he would find himself part of the family chop chop...

Nothing wrong with Brooks Brothers. Some of their fits are too conservative - often catering for the larger than average man. But they have been slimming their stuff down last few years. Quality of their stuff is mostly reasonable not quite reaching excellence, but then again they do not charge Kiton or Loro Piana prices for their RTW collections.

2. inq89

inq89 Well-Known Member

I now find myself almost buying exclusive BB (used or discounted...cheap budget). I like how they offer a range of fits, but like most SFers I don't like how they are trying to compete with other brands and lowering their standards with their logo sweaters and flip flops. But those kinds of items are suppose to attract my generation (I am 22yo). I am biased though as you can tell by the name of my blog.

I agree with OP in that most of my peers don't know about BB. If they dress preppy its always the mall brands like RL and Nautica or Vineyard Vines. BB and J Press are that high standard that is still relatively uncommon in my area.

Agreeable that they aren't the best in quality, but for a young professional BB is much better than 95% of what other people my age wear.

3. repp_fink

repp_fink Well-Known Member

Plus BB shirts have box pleats. Epic Failz.

The "signature" BB join of the cuff to the sleeve, where all the shirring is gathered into half a dozen tight little pleats in one spot, just enrages me for no articulable reason.

Otherwise, yeah, BB is the go-to entry point for lower end trad, and I'm OK with that. The highger-end GF stuff is nice if the cut is what you're looking for (and let's not even get into the derivation of "sack"), and though I'm more of a Paul Stuart man for my GTH tweeds'n'checks needs, de gustibus non est disputandum, etc. etc.

4. repp_fink

I want a giant fleece logo rugby and want it to say BROOKS down one arm BROTHERS down another arm est. 1818 on the pocket. What about pants with brooks brothers logo pennants all over em? Brooks brothers country club tennis headbands anyone? haha

You mean to say that those sweatpants with the "PINK" across the rump aren't by Thomas Pink?

5. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

The "signature" BB join of the cuff to the sleeve, where all the shirring is gathered into half a dozen tight little pleats in one spot, just enrages me for no articulable reason.

Otherwise, yeah, BB is the go-to entry point for lower end trad, and I'm OK with that. The highger-end GF stuff is nice if the cut is what you're looking for (and let's not even get into the derivation of "sack"), and though I'm more of a Paul Stuart man for my GTH tweeds'n'checks needs, de gustibus non est disputandum, etc. etc.

Really, you don't like their signature "shirring" at the cuff? That is actually one of the things that I like about BB and I'm glad they carry it through to their luxury and BF lines.

6. repp_fink

Really, you don't like their signature "shirring" at the cuff? That is actually one of the things that I like about BB and I'm glad they carry it through to their luxury and BF lines.

Really, I have no idea why I don't. It's inexplicable how a couple of precious little folds at the cuff can enrage me so. My teeth hurt just thinking about it.

Quite respectable shirts otherwise, is the worst part.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I consider myself a young professional and BB is almost exclusively what I wear during the day. Not so much a trend issue as much as one of reasonable quality for the price, ease of accessibility, and consistent sizing. Also, questionable if I would want to bring more expensive clothes to work as there exists the possibility of things getting messy. I have a pair of C & J handgrades that I can't bring in for that reason.

8. bwp

bwp Well-Known Member

I really want to like their stuff, but unfortunately out of all that I have bought the only keeper is 1 ESF shirt, and even that is just OK(gingham) and still needs the sides taken in. Their cuts that are supposed to be more youthful miss the mark IMO.

9. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

I really want to like their stuff, but unfortunately out of all that I have bought the only keeper is 1 ESF shirt, and even that is just OK(gingham) and still needs the sides taken in. Their cuts that are supposed to be more youthful miss the mark IMO.
    I think your problem is that you are buying the junk that they stock in most of their stores. Their big stores carry the good stuff (luxury line shirts, GF suits, BF for casual wear, shoes). Find what you would like to try on line and call your local store to have it shipped in. Once you do it once or twice you should have built a relationship with your sales person who alerts you to sales, send you coupons, and honors sales if you missed them. The girl I use always has a pen ready when I call and will either have the items shipped to the store or directly to my house without shipping charges. I take care of her by only buying from her-even if I see something in the clearance online, I call her to place the order.

10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

You can see popular Brooks Brothers dress shirts on all sorts of young professionals here in NYC. The slim fit and extra slim fit lines make the shirts more versatile for younger people. The suits are always on sale and are decent value OTR for those that need workhorse suites. I don't own their ties, but a lot of people do. The stores in NYC are open till 8 PM, so people can grab three shirts if they need them. I have seen people adding "golden fleece" logo polos along with their Ralph Lauren polos. Theier slim seersucker shorts, madras shirts, etc are good for those that want to get aggresive preppy. The OP may have been spam/troll but he's not far off