• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LoL. You read my mind. Guess I will be going for a SAB! Need 2 cases actually, one black and one dark brown. F&S is in the SAB price range as I can tell from their online info. Though not so appealing to me as a SAB. Thanks for the input, I saw your recent case purchases. Amazing!

Thanks Nikola. I learned a long time ago, buy what you really want, the substitute item will only satisfy you for so long, all the while you're thinking about that SAB case..... don't waste the money on the substitute, apply it to what you really want. :slayer:

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more.

The extra $500 or $1,000 will not make any difference in the long run but settling for second best will.

Get the one you love.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more.

The extra $500 or $1,000 will not make any difference in the long run but settling for second best will.

Get the one you love.

Great sentiment. Life is to short with things you don't love..

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks Nikola. I learned a long time ago, buy what you really want, the substitute item will only satisfy you for so long, all the while you're thinking about that SAB case..... don't waste the money on the substitute, apply it to what you really want. :slayer:

Agreed, go for what you love. With that said, definitely take a look at Simon Baker's stuff before you pull the trigger on a SAB. SAB is obviously nice but Simon's work, at least in photos, just looks more special.

Of course, I've never owned either so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed, go for what you love. With that said, definitely take a look at Simon Baker's stuff before you pull the trigger on a SAB. SAB is obviously nice but Simon's work, at least in photos, just looks more special.

Of course, I've never owned either so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Simon will offer superior quality for similar price. I'm not trying to make too big an issue of it, but SAB quality isn't what it used to be.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@nate10184 Thanks for the input on Simon Baker. Just googled for his work and saw some amazing styles. Good thing he's also in the EU ..

Saw that SAB has this Westminster BC i would be satisfied with in Havana colour and the price would be somewhere at $1.5K ...

http://www.swaineadeneybrigg.com/store/swaine-adeney/document-cases/westminster-1

Any chance you might know how much would this Simon Baker Hand Sewn Wrap Around Briefcase cost if ordered? (photo taken from SF )

casemaker

Reaction score
Hi Nikola,

I would have thought, that sending him an e-mail would work :)

regards, simon

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@nate10184
Thanks for the input on Simon Baker. Just googled for his work and saw some amazing styles. Good thing he's also in the EU ..

Simon (casemaker) does excellent work.... he make this top frame bag for me last year.

joeninety

Reaction score

Hello fellows, I've been lurking through this thread for quite some time and also browsed through all the pages, and found a lot of interesting stuff. I'm on the market for a quality briefcase and collecting the info from the previous pages I've narrowed down the choice to 3 manufactures. SAB is my favorite ofc, however, I do not feel like burning 2K$ for a briefcase. So, I wanted to consult with SF- what do you think about the "Pickett" brand? Are they worth the price? I really do like this style, and the price is in my range at around 1K$ .. I prefer the British style most, so I'm wondering, am I missing something?
i think its made by Dains and Hathaway (a lot of Picketts stuff is). a few differences, 1 compartment vs 2 but only 2-3 cm deeper. Half the price though. http://www.pittardsonline.com/kensington-document-case/p110 http://www.pickett.co.uk/shop/leather-goods/briefcases-and-folios/Pocket-Briefcase/

letsi

Reaction score
Alternatively, you could drop Ray Clark an email at [email protected] to see if he has any briefcases left from his previous sales not listed on his Etsy store. Here's one of them:

Picture of the briefcase I purchased

Just to cross post the link for the photos I've taken on his briefcase in the other thread
http://www.styleforum.net/t/206275/discuss-swaine-adeney-brigg-cases/195#post_7643804

Last edited:

Ian Clegg

Reaction score
LoL. You read my mind. Guess I will be going for a SAB! Need 2 cases actually, one black and one dark brown. F&S is in the SAB price range as I can tell from their online info. Though not so appealing to me as a SAB. Thanks for the input, I saw your recent case purchases. Amazing!
Hey Nikola,

I just stumbled upon your post. Thought you might be interested in a briefcase from my family's leather goods company.. www.frankclegg.us
All our leather goods are handcrafted in Massachusetts since 1970. We strive to use the best workmanship and raw materials and guarantee our products for life, against workmanship.

Please check us out. http://frankcleggleatherworks.com/leather-bags/briefcases.html

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,

Ian Clegg

Last edited:

skywalker

Reaction score
What do you guys think of 2 pockets vs 3 pockets? I'm considering a wrap-style case like the SAB Westminster. I'm leaning towards 2 pockets, just for functionality. Does 3 pockets or 2 pockets look better?

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you guys think of 2 pockets vs 3 pockets? I'm considering a wrap-style case like the SAB Westminster. I'm leaning towards 2 pockets, just for functionality. Does 3 pockets or 2 pockets look better?

I like 3 pockets, but I like to compartmentalize things.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im considering purchasing an Edward Green briefcase and I'm curious if anyone here owns one.Does it age well?its priced similar to a SAB.Im considering it in Dark Oak Antique or in Cloud Antique

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads