• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beta-Alanine

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done a bunch a of reading on it, and everything looks pretty nifty. Of course, the same thing happens when you google glutamine too. Is there a definitive answer as to whether or not beta-alanine is an effective workout supplement?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
I've done a bunch a of reading on it, and everything looks pretty nifty. Of course, the same thing happens when you google glutamine too. Is there a definitive answer as to whether or not beta-alanine is an effective workout supplement?

Definitive? No- but as somebody who hangs around with some of the guys in the supps industry, there really isn't definitive evidence about ANY supplement. There's very convincing evidence about the value of proteins and BCAA, EAA's etc but beyond that...

I'm using BA now (Purple Wraath)- I'm having a few vascular issues concurrent to it- I can't say it has anything to do with the supp but last time I was having this issue seems like it also coincicided. I need to do an on/off trial.

coop86

Reaction score
I don't think there is any scientific evidence for its effectiveness. I believe only creatine has real scientific "proof" of effectiveness. It's in a fair amount of popular pre-workout supplements such as Jack3d, NO Shotgun, White Flood, etc. Definitely gives an interesting feeling when you first take it, google "beta-alanine tingles".

I think you should give it a shot, correlation does not equal causation, however, beta-alanine does seem to be an ingredient that every highly-rated pre-workout supplement has.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't take it by itself, but its in the stimulants I take. It definitely causes a very strange sensation, but I do get a very strong pump from it. I don't know if the pump is from the beta analine, but I know the tingling is.

blazingfire3

Reaction score
It's never done anything for me.

I used Purple Wraath on a cut, and had no noticeable differences in my workouts. (Not that I expect any from the BCAAs, but there's pre-workout stuff in it too).

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Everything I've read about beta alanine is positive, however do not exceed the recommended dosages. I think the proper dosing is 2g; with personal experience anything over 2g's causes extreme stomach pains for me. I also hate the tingles associated with it.

I would still recommend trying it to see how your results are with it. You can pick it up from True Protein for around $6 for 100g's, so it's pretty cheap to experiment with.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rikkar501
Everything I've read about beta alanine is positive, however do not exceed the recommended dosages. I think the proper dosing is 2g; with personal experience anything over 2g's causes extreme stomach pains for me. I also hate the tingles associated with it.

I would still recommend trying it to see how your results are with it. You can pick it up from True Protein for around $6 for 100g's, so it's pretty cheap to experiment with.

I read 750mgs 4x a day somewhere. I guess I'll go ahead and get some and try.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of supps are pushing BA and HMB. AFAIC, there isn't much reason to use anything other than a handful of supps, and they're all cheap. The only other thing that actually does work are AAS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads