• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Course for a First Date

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of drinks in a trendy place, then a nice walk outside to chit-chat.
Walk? This is America. Nobody walks, in America.
biggrin.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think something simple and cheap is always better, especially for a first date. Basically, you have a chance to find out if she really enjoys your company so much that she will like spending time with you without the help of an expensive dinner or a high end club. If you're having a great time just kicking back and flirting, you're going to know very quickly if you're a good match.

In fact, I wouldn't do the dinner thing for a good four or five dates. I would much rather have her come over to my place while I cook a meal and just sip on some drinks and listen to some records. If things go further, great. I actually hate paying for dinner, because it feels like I'm paying for sex, but I usually just do it anyway because it's the polite thing to do.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter,Feb. 25 2005,06:41
no, and then you get married and it is a whol differnt set of problems.
Damn it, I was afraid of that answer.
LOL
I will wholeheartedly agree with globetrotter on this. Although I would choose the problems that come with marriage over the problems with dating any day.
Second that motion.... Â I hate the thought of being in the dating scene today, especially being as damn fine as I am, the women out there are way to aggressive. Honk Honk, that is me totting my own horn, mainly 'cause noone else will...lol

alchimiste

Reaction score
I tried to use a uniform system for all women I took out the first time. maybe not romantic, but efficient.
Some sort of ISO 9000 procedure?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ Feb. 24 2005,03:12) I tried to use a uniform system for all women I took out the first time. maybe not romantic, but efficient.
Some sort of ISO 9000 procedure?
exactly

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on how well you know the other person. Coffee should serve as your default since there is really no set time for the date... if things are going really badly, one of the parties can always make up an excuse about a prior engagement, a forgotten task, etc. Dinner can be tricky. For example, I like eating at a lot of the quaint, neighborhood bistros and cafes around Manhattan. Translation: good food, reasonable price, with a cute and cozy (aka romantic) environment. I eat at these places regardless of my company, and have more than once been handed 2 forks to split a dessert with one of my buddies in the West Village. I was shocked at first, but I've since learned to enjoy the food and ignore the customs of lower Manhattan. Anyways, if I get this treatment hanging out with a guy, you can imagine how staged the meal might look on a REAL first date. I think the safest meals are Sunday brunch when the prices are a bit less than dinner, and your schedule can either appear busy or free depending on how well the date is going. And, yes, dating gets easier with practice. Then comes relationship building... I suck at that one, so ask elsewhere. Marriage is a whole different story... there is currently an arms race at my school. No less than 5 women in my class have added 1-2 carat rings to their left fingers in the last year. 2 carats? Damn, I better find my own lady lawyer.

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
(Luc-Emmanuel @ Feb. 25 2005,11:20) A couple of drinks in a trendy place, then a nice walk outside to chit-chat.
Walk? Â This is America. Â Nobody walks, in America. Â
biggrin.gif

You would know that a Frenchman would propose walking. Must be a left-wing, Commie, Pinko. Here in Atlanta, we only feel safe in our cars or at the Fulton County Courthouse, where I am headed now, to file a civil lawsuit. Nice safe parking lot next door.
omg.gif
omg.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depends on how well you know the other person. Coffee should serve as your default since there is really no set time for the date... if things are going really badly, one of the parties can always make up an excuse about a prior engagement, a forgotten task, etc. Dinner can be tricky. For example, I like eating at a lot of the quaint, neighborhood bistros and cafes around Manhattan. Translation: good food, reasonable price, with a cute and cozy (aka romantic) environment. I eat at these places regardless of my company, and have more than once been handed 2 forks to split a dessert with one of my buddies in the West Village. I was shocked at first, but I've since learned to enjoy the food and ignore the customs of lower Manhattan. Anyways, if I get this treatment hanging out with a guy, you can imagine how staged the meal might look on a REAL first date. I think the safest meals are Sunday brunch when the prices are a bit less than dinner, and your schedule can either appear busy or free depending on how well the date is going. And, yes, dating gets easier with practice. Then comes relationship building... I suck at that one, so ask elsewhere. Marriage is a whole different story... there is currently an arms race at my school. No less than 5 women in my class have added 1-2 carat rings to their left fingers in the last year. 2 carats? Damn, I better find my own lady lawyer.
I'm starting TO BE REALLY PISSED OFF at women and their rings. It used to be that if a woman wore a wedding band / engagement ring, you could tell what was going on. Now they wear so many rings its neatly impossible to tell what the situation is, especially in a town like Boca where people tend to have higher than average household incomes. Plus, I'm in class and there is a chick I like but she has a ring on, and it looks like an engagement ring, and then you have to abridge that particular point, and I have no idea how to smoothly do it. Jon.

sam

Reaction score
I'm starting TO BE REALLY PISSED OFF at women and their rings. It used to be that if a woman wore a wedding band / engagement ring, you could tell what was going on. Now they wear so many rings its neatly impossible to tell what the situation is, especially in a town like Boca where people tend to have higher than average household incomes.
I can't ever tell, either. I just ignore it. They're always flattered, anyway.
Plus, I'm in class and there is a chick I like but she has a ring on, and it looks like an engagement ring, and then you have to abridge that particular point, and I have no idea how to smoothly do it.
You: [placing hands folded across your face] "Oh my god, I'm blinded by your engagement ring." Her: "haha, yeah, my boyfriend proposed ..."
frown.gif
or: Her: "haha, thanks, but it isn't an engagement ring..."
smile.gif
(Sorry, best I could come up with on the spot.)

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(norcaltransplant @ Mar. 15 2005,02:29) Depends on how well you know the other person. Coffee should serve as your default since there is really no set time for the date... if things are going really badly, one of the parties can always make up an excuse about a prior engagement, a forgotten task, etc. Dinner can be tricky. Â For example, I like eating at a lot of the quaint, neighborhood bistros and cafes around Manhattan. Â Translation: good food, reasonable price, with a cute and cozy (aka romantic) environment. I eat at these places regardless of my company, and have more than once been handed 2 forks to split a dessert with one of my buddies in the West Village. Â I was shocked at first, but I've since learned to enjoy the food and ignore the customs of lower Manhattan. Â Anyways, if I get this treatment hanging out with a guy, you can imagine how staged the meal might look on a REAL first date. Â I think the safest meals are Sunday brunch when the prices are a bit less than dinner, and your schedule can either appear busy or free depending on how well the date is going. And, yes, dating gets easier with practice. Then comes relationship building... I suck at that one, so ask elsewhere. Â Marriage is a whole different story... there is currently an arms race at my school. Â No less than 5 women in my class have added 1-2 carat rings to their left fingers in the last year. Â 2 carats? Â Damn, I better find my own lady lawyer.
I'm starting TO BE REALLY PISSED OFF at women and their rings. It used to be that if a woman wore a wedding band / engagement ring, you could tell what was going on. Now they wear so many rings its neatly impossible to tell what the situation is, especially in a town like Boca where people tend to have higher than average household incomes. Plus, I'm in class and there is a chick I like but she has a ring on, and it looks like an engagement ring, and then you have to abridge that particular point, and I have no idea how to smoothly do it. Jon.
about 15 years ago in Germany, an unmarried woman would never wear a ring, just on the off chance that it would confuse you, made life much simpler. Jon, part of the whole dating thing is that you will get shot down a lot. getting shot down because she is engaged married isn't so bad. and, if you are reasonably presentable and nice about the whole thing, she might even introduce you to her friends. good luck boy, am I happy I am married and past that whole scene
biggrin.gif

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plus, I'm in class and there is a chick I like but she has a ring on, and it looks like an engagement ring, and then you have to abridge that particular point, and I have no idea how to smoothly do it.

Jon.
The only way to find out is to ask or have someone else ask.

I once worked with a woman who wore an engagement ring even though she was not engaged. It was her grandmother's ring and that was the only finger it fit on. Granted it was confusing and eventually my wife (who wasn't my wife at the time), just came straight out and asked her. It was suprising how many people in the office had wondered the same thing.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Jon, part of the whole dating thing is that you will get shot down a lot. getting shot down because she  is engaged married isn't so bad.
Agreed. Just ask - what do you have to lose? I'm no Don Juan, but I do fine with the ladies, and I get shot down probably 70% of the time. I simply don't care: I'm not everyone's cup of tea, that's fine with me. I liken it to baseball, you're not going to hit if you don't swing. And batting .300 will put you in the All Star Game.

Wedge

Reaction score
I perfected getting shot down when I finally met my wife. On our first date we went to dinner and out for coffee.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First of all I'm surprised by the overwhelming response; I only wish I had this kind of reaction regarding my linen shirt on the main forum.

Secondly, I'm not saying that I won't ask (and possibly get shot down: such is life), I was merely stating a cultural phenomenon that has made it harder to determine ones martial status and as well, of anyone had an experience abridging that predicament.

Jon.

Tyto

Reaction score
Just treat her as if you missed the ring.

Alternatively, "Is it serious or is it pest control?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads