• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke delivery in a few days: what could go wrong?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
It will look good, I have the same combo on today.

Sigh. He probably had us confused. You need to stop ordering so much stuff, or at least let me order a thing or two first. I wanted a damned brown lining.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Seriously, what is wrong with blue suit, blue lining? Stripey sleeves of course.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Seriously, what is wrong with blue suit, blue lining? Stripey sleeves of course.

Grey suit can go several ways - I like a dark green or a burgundy

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Meaning you will order orange, or your tailor will use orange because he does whatever he feels like anyway?

Meaning that he likes the flashy linings whereas I don't...i ordered a brown one on my current (and only) commission and it looks like he went with gold...

meh. whatever.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Meaning that he likes the flashy linings whereas I don't...i ordered a brown one on my current (and only) commission and it looks like he went with gold...

I see. It means either he is stubbornly full of himself, or he is going senile.
Both options imply he was trained in the old country, which should be a good thing
wink.gif

meh. whatever.
as long as that's the worst, and hopefully only,.. uh.. misunderstanding, I agree.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, I've already learned of a confirmed error: wrong lining color. Sigh. This seems to be a consistent issue. Thankfully, it is marginal. They're going to ship now and if I don't like the lining, they'll change it later.
Was this at your request or theirs? In other words, were you anxious to get the suit and willing to, possibly, put up with the error or did they want to ship it to you to see if you could live with it rather than re-do it? I am kind of tolerant with small errors from tailors who are barely hanging on. I think of it as a sort of donation to preserve hand-tailoring in the modern world. But if you are paying 5,000 euros, or whatever and the tailor is too busy/can't be bothered to stick to your specifications, I would come down like a ton of bricks. Anything else just encourages bad behavior in the future. And it's all about the relationship, right?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Was this at your request or theirs? In other words, were you anxious to get the suit and willing to, possibly, put up with the error or did they want to ship it to you to see if you could live with it rather than re-do it?

I am kind of tolerant with small errors from tailors who are barely hanging on. I think of it as a sort of donation to preserve hand-tailoring in the modern world.

But if you are paying 5,000 euros, or whatever and the tailor is too busy/can't be bothered to stick to your specifications, I would come down like a ton of bricks. Anything else just encourages bad behavior in the future.

And it's all about the relationship, right?

It is indeed all about the relationship, which is why I was amenable to taking the suit as is and somewhat regret getting frustrated. While slightly surprised they cannot or will not change the lining before shipping, it is ultimately a marginal error, they acknowledged fault, and offered to fix it if I don't like it (which I have no doubt they will do). Most importantly, in the grand scheme, I figure they've gone above and beyond enough times to show me I'm a valued client. It's not worth fighting over a lining color when your tailor re-cuts entire fronts for you without thinking twice about it.

So, I think you have to put these things in perspective. If you're starting with a new tailor, and his customer service is unproven, and he shows a general reluctance to fix mistakes, it makes more sense to fuss over whether the lining is the right color. But, in this case, I feel that things still balance out in my favor.

Anyway, as represented by others' Rubinacci experiences, one can expect that Mariano will ship you something slightly different from what you ordered at times, hazarding that you will in fact like it better and offering to re-make if you don't. If you don't like that sort of relationship, it's true you're better off with another shop.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At a first fitting ... a coat made up in a cloth other than the one selected. It hadn't even been part of the selection process.

The tailor was very apologetic. Interestingly I really liked the mistake ... so much so that I decided to keep it. Convincing the tailor that I really wanted it was almost impossible.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I've already learned of a confirmed error: wrong lining color. Sigh. This seems to be a consistent issue. Thankfully, it is marginal. They're going to ship now and if I don't like the lining, they'll change it later.
Why bother? It's only a lining, don't be daft.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
At a first fitting ...

your outline is a match with the paprika.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
At a first fitting ... a coat made up in a cloth other than the one selected. It hadn't even been part of the selection process. The tailor was very apologetic. Interestingly I really liked the mistake ... so much so that I decided to keep it. Convincing the tailor that I really wanted it was almost impossible.
Now, that's big time.
smile.gif

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been very fortunate up until now that no details on any of my orders have been wrong, with the exception of wrong-colored linings. However, that's how I figure I'm due.
Ah, the good old gambler's fallacy. Didn't you do philosophy for undergrad? :kidding:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Most men, moreover, become plumper and softer starting around your age. If it isn't happening to you, great...but just keep it in mind.

This is horribly true. I'll be 30 this year and my bespoke stuff made in 2007 and 2008 doesn't fit quite as well as it did then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads