• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Attention all Melbourne members!
There has been some discussion in the past in this thread about a great charity called Wear for Success, which assists disadvantaged men in presenting themselves appropriately in seeking and holding down a job.

As some of you already know I'm on the committee of a sub-group of WFS called the Wear for Success Expert Network, which is a business networking group set up in support of the WFS charity and aimed at middle to senior level executives with an interest in dressing well(ish).

It's a great cause and a way to do some networking whilst at the same time making a real difference for disadvantaged people.

The Expert Network holds regular events for members roughly quarterly, and annual membership is a paltry $50.

The invitation for the next event on August 15 is attached to this post, it would be wonderful if as many of the Melbourne crowd as possible would come along and join up. I know a few members including Gerry Nelson, Appolyon and fxh have expressed interest already, so let's see how many of the Melbourne crew we can get there!

Aside from the networking, free drinks etc, there is usually an 'expert' aspect to each event. Last time for example we got to sample a range of wonderful Pinot Noirs and get some great discounts on purchases. Double Monk will most likely be involved in a future event this year.

There will usually also be a raffle and at the coming event we have $800 worth of prizes up for grabs, including a couple of 7-fold ties from our own Henry Carter (many, many thanks Jas).

Memberships can be paid at the event (eftpos will be available) or if you prefer there are details in the attached newsletter about how to join beforehand.

Please forward the invite and the August newsletter to any non-SF contacts you might have whom you believe could be interested.

Any and all support is most greatly appreciated by both WFS and myself, thanks guys!

[ATTACHMENT=6973][ATTACHMENT=6974]WFS_Newsletter_August2013.pdf (319k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT]

Anyone other Australian Thread members heading along to this tomorrow night? I am going and am interested to know which friendly faces to look out for. Think Checkstar might be going and lennier mentions a few others above (though I know Nice Guy Gerry is providing shoe shine advice in Burma at the moment so will not be there).

fxh, is this is the kind of special event one puts socks on for?...

I think Appolyon and fxh are both attempting to be there.

Anyone else who would like to go just a reminder that you need to rsvp to the emaiil in the invitation so that they have numbers for catering.

Hope to see you there!

I'll also be there, albeit half an hour late... Looking forward to it.

Barry O

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Can anyone advise on where to get some trees online at a modest price?

I also had the pleasure of meeting Matt from Suit Shop over the weekend. Got fitted up and pulled the trigger on a new suit. Can't wait!

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Can anyone advise on where to get some trees online at a modest price?

I also had the pleasure of meeting Matt from Suit Shop over the weekend. Got fitted up and pulled the trigger on a new suit. Can't wait!

Nice, what sort of suit did you end up going for?

The other guys might have better suggestions but I believe the woodlore or Allen Edmonds ones through amazon are among the most affordable vs descent.

Floresheim sell them online as well, I prefer the two mentioned above but if you don't want to order internationally then its an option.

Barry O

Reaction score
Amazon is looking like the cheapest. Roughly $27USD shipped per tree.

Dark blue fabric. Peak lapels (my first), soft shoulders, patch pockets, half canvased. Side tab adjusters (also my first), flat fronts and cuffs (also another first!).

ryanohare

Reaction score
Matt from SuitShop dropped my new 3-piece off last night.

Excuse the woeful photo (and tieknot). The suit is actually a lighter grey than it looks on this photo.

The only photo I got off the trousers came out so dark it wasn't even worth posting. The waistcoat needed taken in by 1cm so Matt had taken it with him by the time I got round to taking a photo. I'll post another snap next week in better light when it's all complete.

boff

Reaction score
Are any Sydney members considering having their portrait taken by Hugh Stewart at MJ Bale in Sydney tomorrow (or Saturday)? He's a brilliant photographer, and whilst I am under no illusions that I'll get anywhere near the same treatment he affords his regular subjects (http://www.hughstewart.com/portraiture01.html), the opportunity to get snapped by one of the worlds best seems to good to pass up.
Plus I'm 40 this year and if comes out OK it'll be a nice present for mum (or at least a record of the start of a disgraceful decline into middle age).
Think I'm going to aim for 10ish tomorrow am.

lennier

Reaction score

Are any Sydney members considering having their portrait taken by Hugh Stewart at MJ Bale in Sydney tomorrow (or Saturday)? He's a brilliant photographer, and whilst I am under no illusions that I'll get anywhere near the same treatment he affords his regular subjects (http://www.hughstewart.com/portraiture01.html), the opportunity to get snapped by one of the worlds best seems to good to pass up.
Plus I'm 40 this year and if comes out OK it'll be a nice present for mum (or at least a record of the start of a disgraceful decline into middle age).
Think I'm going to aim for 10ish tomorrow am.

Disgracefully is the only way to decline in to middle age.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of musicians with original ideas...
Anyone else listening to Wagner's "Siegfried" on ABC-FM tonight? Live performance at this year's Proms. Barenboim conducting.

Went out last night to the Melbourne Town Hall - good venue - middle of conservative business dress - to see the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music Symphony Orchestra - Melbourne Uni students - do Barbers Adagio for Strings and Shostakovitch No 5.

Always enjoy Barbers and I wish I was more familiar with Shostakovitch No 5 - as the back story of it is fascinating with the suggestion he was brow beaten by Stalin and wrote an apology and soviet realist work with a lot of sneering and subtle F** you into the piece. I'm not sophisticated enough to know if thats true but it seems feasible to me on listening.

The concert was @7.30pm. I'd been out all day over the other side of town in hipster central Thornbury fixing up a flat, there was a storm as well - it was freezing and I got back home and at 5pm or so - then had to put on a trailer to car, and go and pick up a wardrobe. In peak hour traffic aaagggh ---- Take it home and inside. Have a shower get dressed and get into city. I was tired, grubby , dirty and nearly didn't go - so I just grabbed what I had on the other day , old OCBD blue with red stripes, blue chinos (cuffed like an igent @ 2"), burgundy leather chukkas, and grey tweed herringbone jacket with red window pane subtle - clean white T shirt. I was a bit coy as I thought I should have worn a tie at least and perhaps not tweed. (also I have only just got navy blue chinos and don't really feel comfortable in them because of the navy colour).

Anyway - aside from the orchestra in dinner suits - I didn't see anyone in a tie and I was possibly one of the most overdressed audience members in a sea of dad's jeans and parkas and fleece jackets.

Its a funny old world isn't it.

The conductor visiting, Larry Rachleff from USA (the Larry is a bit of a giveaway as to which country isn't it - whats Larry short for?) wore a Nehru suit. Seemed to be made of Tencel the way it shimmered and wafted. Could have been good except it was too long - well maybe Nehru suits jackets can be long and his trousers were too wide,sloppy and pooled up with about 5 breaks at the rear.

I think I'd approve of a good Nehru suit on a conductor - seems about right sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads