• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old man made a pizza oven a while back, will PM you the recipe, unless others are interested?
Yeah please share, I'm pretty happy with the dough recipe I use but always cool to hear others tried and true recipes.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice review of the Loake aldwych too Wurger.

If the brown version was a ill darker would have loved to have grabbed a pair when pediwear had their sale.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the weekend holding for you fellas?

I've just got back from walking around the Murray collecting firewood - one of the housemates and I are BBQ'ing lamb kebabs straight on the fire tonight (much fun), but otherwise looking a bit boring this weekend. Help me live vicariously.

Already had one highlight - Geoffrey Rush's new film. Did some op shopping today with a small amount of success.Tomorrow I am going to the quarterly Basenotes get-together, where we check out colognes at a Northcote cafe until the place smells like a New Orleans brothel.

Sartorial highlight has to be my trip to Double Monk this morning to finally pick up my refactored C&J Audleys after a 3 month wait. Mmmmmmm. Pics to follow.

Last edited:

wooparse

Reaction score
Went to the Queen Vic markets for the weekly food then got fitted by Matt and SuitShop for a new grey suit. Then walked up to St. Ali for some truffle scrambled eggs and crumpets.
Tonight - dinner at Binh Minhs then Birthday gathering at PA's in Richmond

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Already had one highlight - Geoffrey Rush's new film. Did some op shopping today with a small amount of success.Tomorrow I am going to the quarterly Basenotes get-together, where we check out colognes at a Northcote cafe until the place smells like a New Orleans brothel.

Sartorial highlight has to be my trip to Double Monk this morning to finally pick up my refactored C&J Audleys after a 3 month wait. Mmmmmmm. Pics to follow.

any big finds recently, CD? i've had very slim pickings. more luck with ties than anything.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Linen shirts.

Always always always wash by hand, or is it ok to use a machine on gentle cycle with cold water?

SWMBO only hand washes linen clothing.

Re pizza dough I have a couple that work very well will have to dig them out as they are PDF and can send it via PM if anyone interested.

Now excuse me my labours are done the wine has aired and I will settle in to watch the rugby.Go the Brumbies.

Last edited:

Spinning

Reaction score
Went in and tried some suits on close to me.
There were some MJ Bale ones - do not like the heavy construction in the shoulders.

Also tried a few other brands on (I think Boston, Herringbone, one other random one)
-Jackets are super long
-Pants have far too much room in the seat/make me look like I've crapped my pants

I'm not a dwarf. Come in at 177cm, short legs though - I usually take 30x30, but nothing was good in the store in both jackets and trousers :(

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice review of the Loake aldwych too Wurger.

If the brown version was a ill darker would have loved to have grabbed a pair when pediwear had their sale.

Cheers mate, but you can always darken the shoe with a darker polish, I have done that to my Loake Tweed. The darkening is quite uniform across the upper, only noticeable when comparing to the original shoe in store.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were some MJ Bale ones - do not like the heavy construction in the shoulders.

i think that's their standard line; i have one of their collection suits in charcoal pinstripe. their soft shoulder has very minimal padding. you may need to increase your budget to get what you want. beggars can't be choosers!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Car shopping for me this morning. Child number 2 is due in about 5 weeks and the missus wants a mid sized SUV. She's sleeping now so I'm lining up matchbox cars with my son in his room.

I've got a Subaru Forester and it's been excellent. Not the quietest car but affordable to purchase, affordable to service, quite a lot of room and we haven't had any problems at all.

I was thinking of getting a sedan or wagon but the fact that you can easily put a couple of bikes in the back for the kids, or stuff a lot of camping gear in there, was a persuasive reason to get the Forester.

Linen shirts.

Always always always wash by hand, or is it ok to use a machine on gentle cycle with cold water?

Years back I used to wash by hand, but now I just put the shirts in laundry bags and throw them in a cold, gentle wash.

boff

Reaction score

How strange, I have several MJ's, all with minimal to no padding. Definitely a Neapolitan leaning, but not really a proper 'shirt shoulder' (not sure of correct term here).

Last edited:

DartagnanRed

Reaction score

Also tried a few other brands on (I think Boston, Herringbone, one other random one)
-Jackets are super long
-Pants have far too much room in the seat/make me look like I've crapped my pants

I'm not a dwarf. Come in at 177cm, short legs though - I usually take 30x30, but nothing was good in the store in both jackets and trousers :(
? Really? I have seen many, many MJ Bale suits and jackets and never thought one of them had heavily padded shoulders. All MJ Bale stores sell various jackets that are completely unstructured. There is minimal padding in both the collection and the classic range.

Jackets from brands like Herringbone and Boston Brothers (the lower end label of Rhodes and Beckett) are not long either, you likely have non-standard proportions. It sounds like you might want to have a look at something MTM, maybe SuitShop.

John Appleseed

Reaction score
Sorry folks. I asked before where to buy shoe horns online. I meant to say shoe trees. Any recommendations please let me know.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

? Really? I have seen many, many MJ Bale suits and jackets and never thought one of them had heavily padded shoulders. All MJ Bale stores sell various jackets that are completely unstructured. There is minimal padding in both the collection and the classic range.

Jackets from brands like Herringbone and Boston Brothers (the lower end label of Rhodes and Beckett) are not long either, you likely have non-standard proportions. It sounds like you might want to have a look at something MTM, maybe SuitShop.

FWIW, I find Herringbone's 38R too long (I'm 5'10").

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads