• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have narrow feet, I know if no better brand than Allen Edmonds - the commonly recommended Euro makes just don't seem to go that narrow (that I know of anyway). AE, on the other hand, goes to at least a B width in most styles, if not AAA....

NB Unfortunately, you can't try them on in Melbourne though! sorry for the useless recommendation...

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regal!

They make shoes for J Press, Ralph Lauren, New & Lingwood, and Johnston & Murphy in Japan - on top of making their own shoes. Competitively priced shoes with Goodyear welting and full grain leather.

They have also outfitted some of their former Prime Ministers, IIRC.

Those Spigolas, tho....
Regal=Shetland Fox, I think.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good morning folks.

Does anyone have any information/experience on quality Japanese made dress shoes?

The only ones I know are:
Spigola
Shetland Fox
Scotch Grain

All of them look terrific.  

Timely too, given the recent weakness of the yen.

Regal! 

They make shoes for J Press, Ralph Lauren, New & Lingwood, and Johnston & Murphy in Japan - on top of making their own shoes. Competitively priced shoes with Goodyear welting and full grain leather.

Those Spigolas, tho....

Spigola shoes, by Koji Suzuki, look wonderful but AFAIK they are only bespoke and, not surprisingly, are very expensive.

Regal make some very good shoes, some good shoes, and some awful shoes. The awful ones are usually sold at lower-medium department stores like Ito-Yokado, whereas the good and very good ones are sold at upper-end department stores like Takashimaya, Mitsukoshi and Isetan, as well as independent retailers.

From memory, Regal's good shoes cost around Y45 000 to Y50 000, or $475 to $525 AUD.

They are nice shoes and I would have liked to buy a pair or two during trips to Japan but I discovered that, unfortunately, their shoes don't have a terribly high instep and so they didn't fit me very well.

The low instep, by the way, is quite common to lots of Japanese shoes. It's also difficult to find anything larger than about a UK9. Not impossible, of course, but most stores don't stock anything larger than a UK9 or UK9.5, nor do they stock many suits larger than a Euro 50/US 40 - most of the suit stock ranges from size 34 to size 38 and there's usually just a few, token suits or jackets in 42 and 44 in undesirable colours or patterns!

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Add to this Herringbone and American Tailors for Crockett and Jones (and Carmina at AT I think) and Beggar Man Thief for Loake and others. McClouds in the city have Churchs but the markups are a bit steep from memory (could be good for a first pair).

Edward Greens are on sale at Henry Bucks for about $500-600 at the moment and I think they may have some Loakes and Grensons on sale too (from their Beggar Man Thief links).

I buy most of my shoes online now (or when back in Scotland or abroad) but tend to know my sizing or the questions to ask to find out when ordering (or I cheat and speak to Gerry Nelson as he seems to own a vast array of lasts and brands to compare).

I haven't been there lately, but Luisa's in Collins St was stocking Edward Green and Church's at discounted prices a whie ago.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Regal!

Those Spigolas, tho....
This reminds me i need to order some more New & Lingwood socks

burnso

Reaction score
Hey guys, any opinions here greatly appreciated.

Ill shortly be backpacking some of Europe, and Im looking for a cheap option for a jacket to wear with collared shirts. Unsure if $100-200 is realistic.

Id like it to be formal enough to wear to dinner/ evenings, but might only take jeans and chinos for pants. Would also layer it with thin sweaters.

If I could safely hang it every night, Id take my navy wool sport coat. So Im not sure on the style...

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Ill shortly be backpacking some of Europe, and Im looking for a cheap option for a jacket to wear with collared shirts. Unsure if $100-200 is realistic.

Id like it to be formal enough to wear to dinner/ evenings, but might only take jeans and chinos for pants. Would also layer it with thin sweaters.

If I could safely hang it every night, Id take my navy wool sport coat. So Im not sure on the style...
probably not realistic for a formal jacket

maybe more casual and get an M65 jacket that you can layer and heaps of pockets to store touristy stuff?

Gerry recently got a nice one, cant rememeber the price.

Manuhiri

Reaction score

Again, it might be more casual than you are looking but a G9 would be pretty sweet.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Guys just a reminder on the chino sale... after the sale down to last pair in the following sizes. Red followed by White were the most popular over the past week although planning for winter the navy and brown would be my tip.

Green = 48/52
Brown =48/52/54
Navy =52/54
Red = 46
White = 50/52/54

burnso

Reaction score
Romp my other travel jacket is a crappier version of an M65. I have been eyeing off an M65 for a while now.

I really like the G9, definitely interested.

I was even weighing up getting a cheap sport coat, but don't want it to be *cheap lol. A size 42 L jacket seems to fit me perfectly.

lachyzee pointed out themensshop.com.au sale... should I stretch for something like this?

$350-25%= $262.5

http://www.themensshop.com.au/DKNY-Pure-Wool-Brown-Sportcoat/

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're much better off getting a military/field/barbour/harrington/duffle etc. style jacket/coat (unless you want one that doubles as a going out jacket if that's the kind of holiday you're doing).

You said you're 'backpacking' - I think a more utilitarian coat will be far more suitable due to waterproofing/pockets/warmth etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads