1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. acinod

acinod Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Do you wear it when you're having a Barry (Crocker)?

3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Herring is pretty solid around $75.

I'm looking at selling mine. Black and dark brown. Size 38 both barely worn.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Was going to buy a new blender on Sunday but with 20% off from Tuesday I'll wait. Why pay full price.

5. Muscles

Muscles Member

I've been making room in my wardrobe and have a some jackets and a couple of pairs of shoes to sell so I tried Grailed. Got some interest straight away and then got the freight quotes to ship internationally and OMG, when did this happen?! $60 to send a jacket to the US... I hate to think what it would cost for a pair of shoes.

Is there a trick I am not aware of for sending clothing at a reasonable rate or should I use ebay and sell within Australia only? Anyone after some new and or near new Meermin's? Am I allowed to post them in here?

6. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

I'd be really surprised if Canali has ever had anything made under license here.

Looking good, Mr Cox.

1 person likes this.
  7. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

in a similar boat - decided to live on my own so I've been spending the mighty dollar on white goods. I spoiled myself on a quality 12 piece saucepan set. yet I don't cook much. [​IMG]

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Australia post have hiked up international shipping hugely just recently. The only upside is now base shipping offers tracking.

2 people like this.
  9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Might be cheaper soon to buy an economy class airfare to Dallas, pack the stuff you want to sell into checked baggage and ship it when you land in the US.

2 people like this.
  10. Epicure

Epicure Well-Known Member

Hi Gents,

A question on behalf of a colleague:

Is anyone able to advise on finding a RTW tweed jacket in Canberra, or if not, at least in Melbourne?

The interested person does not have a large budget (he probably won't want to break $1000), and I think he may be out of luck if he doesn't have the time to go sifting through the op shops, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Any suggestions welcome, even if they don't come under the stated budget. At least he can weigh up some options that way, and perhaps reconsider what he is willing to pay.

11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Yes, post away.

12. Bravo Sierra

Bravo Sierra Well-Known Member

Hey Oli,

I'm interested in the belts. Can you provide shots/price?
    Happy to take this offline.

Cheers,
    B.

13. conqueror

conqueror Well-Known Member

got back from sydney last night - thank you to whoever recommend pendolino, it was fantastic. lumi was great too and highly recommended. stayed at the QT and while very nice i don't think it was worth the cost - will probably try shangri-la on the next trip (whenever that is).

i only had time to check out two sf-esque stores on my long list: kazuna and harrolds. bought a tie from kaz and he was v friendly, would love to go back for a suit if i was ever in sydney long enough. someone was in his studio getting measured up, but he still took a few minutes to introduce himself and show me around a little. i mainly went to harrolds for shoes as unfortunately double monk was closed, but i was disappointed with their selection - they only had 3 pairs of churchs (none of the model i wanted) and no trickers. back to the drawing board! capsule had a few cool pieces which was surprising (nanamica etc), but incu was completely average just like the melbourne stores.

kinokuniya have a great range of stock for an australian store, but some of the pricing for magazines is insane - $45 for an issue of popeye! i thought haven charging $20 CAD was extortion. had a quick look in muji but i much prefer uniqlo for flannels/ocbds etc - asked about a bed but they only ship within sydney CBD, i don't think the webstore is ever gonna happen at this point.

i knew about gumption from last time i was in sydney, but didn't really come across any other spots that seemed worthwhile so ended up going to back there each day since it was a 2min walk from the hotel. huge lines on each visit, but blazingly fast service and still incredibly good.

tldr: i'm slowly warming to the city.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  14. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Nice, good purchase, the sort of thing that will last you years and be waiting for you when you do start to cook more.

1 person likes this.
  15. Osiris2012

Hrmm proving difficult to find a wool business coat for the winter.

Found a nice one in Henry bucks that I'm definitely not paying full price for. Middle ground was suit supply wool/cashmere and they're sold out of my size. Discovered a wool blend one in DJs today that I dont mind, but I thought my days of buying cheap blends were behind me.

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Yes, international shipping costs are horrendous, and have been for some years. I ordered a pair of shoes from the UK a few years back, and the seller sent the wrong size. I paid to send them back via Australia Post, and he reimbursed me. Sending a pair of shoes with shoe-bags and box (no shoe trees, no other packaging) cost me $85 for the most basic parcel post by air, and I'm sure that it's gone up in the past few years, too. I was bloody glad that I was being reimbursed!

I really depends upon what you're selling as to whether you'd be better off concentrating on Australia or on trying to sell overseas. For a pair of Meermins, it's probably not really worth it, as the high shipping cost would deter purchasers and if you offer to split the shipping cost, you'd probably eat into much of your sale price. If, however, you were selling a pair of Edward Greens, it would be better to sell overseas as you'd be much more likely to get a good price.

2 people like this.
  17. acinod

acinod Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not my size Oli. I can't remember exactly but weren't you the one going on about owning only 2 belts? How will you hold your trousers up now if you're selling those 2?

Anyways I'll check Herring out. I'm a size 29, so I'm guessing a size 30 will fit? They do say to size up 2 inches.

Also know any good Herring codes working at the moment?

1 person likes this.
  18. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

It's 2016 and muji not having a webstore is pretty ridiculous

1 person likes this.
  19. Muscles

Muscles Member

Hi Guys,
    I have a pair of Meermin Raphello Suede Chelsea boots that I bought off Grailed as a UK8. Turns out they were a UK8.5. See Grailed here: http://alturl.com/ehrtm
    I have worn them once and while I prefer the Hiro last, they are just too big. Asking $180 AU pickup in Sydney or add $25 for postage.

[​IMG]

I also have these Meermin Antique Chestnut Brogued Oxfords in the Olfe last. I bought new from Meermin and have worn at most a dozen times. These are too big for me in the toe box. Asking $135 AU pickup in Sydney or add $25 for postage.

[​IMG]

Shoe trees not included...

More Pics here: http://s864.photobucket.com/user/Muscles2009/library/StyleForum

I also have a pair of Meermin black wholecuts in the Eton last and a piar of Herring Knightsbridge in Dark brown if anyone is interested. I'll add pics to photbucket by the weekend.

Note: I have these on Grailed in US dollars and at higher prices. Here in this thread they are in AUD. Browse the photobucket for more photos and ask away with any questions.

Cheers

20. Osiris2012

This might be crazy but would it be possible for a tailor to shorten a tie?