• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone hear used the Kent BK4/8/12 or Shavemac 177 and can compare?

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My uniqlo's are my favourite too, wearing them now. Just be careful that the indigo can rub off on to your nice new white stone bench top, and that doesn't make wives particularly happy. I have solved the problem by putting strips of clear contact along the edges of the bench which are invisible, still wearing the jeans.... (of course this is not a problem just with uniqlo denim).

cciss

Reaction score
Hey y'all, just moved to Melbourne near conservative business dress and in need of a new tailor and dry cleaner. Anyone know of someone decent?

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MD2010 are you wearing a navy suit with red tie and mid brown penny loafers?

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MD2010 are you wearing a navy suit with red tie and mid brown penny loafers?

Lol not me. Loud suit day today blue glen check, tan with blue polka dot scarf sticking out of jacket lapels and old English flower print pocket square (beige/Ivory/ red/blue/ green). Pale pink shirt. Sneak picture.

Last edited:

RGLZ

Reaction score
Corlection
Big Trouble Store
New Vintage Store
Blue Works

Do not buy Uniqlo or any cheap **** denim, invest in and support quality Made in Japan denim. Momotaro is my pick.

Nolvadex

Reaction score
Uniqlo jeans are lightweight and thin. Better for summer I guess

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Corlection
Big Trouble Store
New Vintage Store
Blue Works

Do not buy Uniqlo or any cheap **** denim, invest in and support quality Made in Japan denim. Momotaro is my pick.

Why?

Life is expensive and I wear casual clothing 2 days a week. I don't care if a Japanese hipster made my jeans.

RGLZ

Reaction score
The cloth may be but the jeans aren't.

Far from a hipster, a skilled artisan with a lifetime of knowledge and experience. Not to mention the passion for the product, everything is uncompromised. I'd prefer to support and wear a label that ticks those boxes instead of garbage fast fashion.... I'll stop now haha.

0.jpg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Uniqlo is quite "garbage fast fashion". The quality is a notch above H&M or Zara. They position themselves as "the bare minimum you need to pay to get something that won't fall apart in a week", hence the popularity. This is more or less true depending on the product (the "cashmere" jumpers in particular do not last).

I've had my selvedge Uniqlo jeans for a year and a bit and they're still going strong, still looking neat despite multiple washes and wears. The stitches are neat, strong and never came out. I'd put them on the more durable end of Uniqlo's selection. Same with the chinos.

I'm not saying that Momotaro or other labels are not worth the extra money mind you (although, they are not to me - I'd rather an extra pair of Meermins MTO). Just that Uniqlo's success derives precisely from their higher quality from what used to be the cheap option.

That being said, if you're up for it and have a pair at the ready, I'd love a side by side comparison of Momotaro's vs Uniqlo's jeans explaining with photos what the extra money gets you.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've toyed with more expensive denim like G-Star and APC and I just don't think they are worth the coin. I see denim as a throwaway piece and all those expensive raw denims I've tried seem to stretch like buggery and are so stiff I get the ***** with them after a while. You seem to either have to buy them ridiculously small and stretch them out or buy them not so small for comfort and the ass stretches out of them.

The uniqlo's seem to have only minimal stretch and mine are fading very nicely now (current pair is probably 8 months old). My jeans get washed a lot because I have little kids that spill crap all over them and I wear jeans all year round so light weight is better, even through Canberra's winter. For 60 bucks or whatever they are if they last 2 years then I'm happy.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G-Star is overpriced junk. APC is just overpriced.

Head over to Blue Owl and take a look at some of their offerings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads