• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

trigirdbers

Reaction score
How long should the sleeves of a dress shirt be. When my arms are hanging beside me, where should they come down to?

to416

Reaction score
I lost a suit sleeve button closest to the end of the sleeve. Normally there are four on each sleeve. I don't have any replacement buttons.

What's the best option here?

a. try to find a replacement button at a tailor/alterationist and have that sewn on
b. simply remove the loose thread and leave as is (with three buttons on one sleeve and four on the other)
c. remove the button closest to the sleeve on the other sleeve (so there are three buttons on each sleeve)
d. move the fourth button to where the missing button is and remove the fourth button (furthest from the end of the sleeve) on the other sleeve (so there are three buttons on each sleeve, but without the gap from the first button closest to the end of the sleeve being missing)

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I lost a suit sleeve button closest to the end of the sleeve. Normally there are four on each sleeve. I don't have any replacement buttons.

a. try to find a replacement button at a tailor/alterationist and have that sewn on
b. simply remove the loose thread and leave as is (with three buttons on one sleeve and four on the other)
c. remove the button closest to the sleeve on the other sleeve (so there are three buttons on each sleeve)
d. move the fourth button to where the missing button is and remove the fourth button (furthest from the end of the sleeve) on the other sleeve (so there are three buttons on each sleeve, but without the gap from the first button closest to the end of the sleeve being missing)
It would be best to see pictures to jude. Is there stitching of a buttonhole present where you lost one?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, I've always been interested in fashion an envious of those who dress well but Ive always worked from home & have a pretty casual lifestyle in a "very casual" Canadian city. For that reason, I don't get to "dress up" as much as I'd like --or rather, never. I've been lurking SF for a while now trying to pick up as much knowledge as I can while still sticking to my own personal style opinions.

Anyways, one thing I've always had a problem picking is shoes, and for that reason I feel like I have no good shoes. I'm headed to a wedding in a couple months down in the caribbean and looking to give my wardrobe a little revamp in anticipation. I guess I am sort of using it to "test out my style".

During the days (when not at the pool/ocean) I plan to wear shorts or linen beach pants with a polo or a simple v-neck t-shirt. In the evenings, I plan to wear some light beige chinos (I know most here hate chinos), navy blue chinos, light grey wool pants (bad for resort wear?) with a nice button up.

What I'm lacking, is shoes for the trip. I am thinking about getting a pair of boat shoes for the day and a pair of loafers for night that I can wear with or without socks, and keep it pretty casual but smart. Does this sound right? I'm not sure what color to get, to best match everything (if possible). Hoping to keep it around ~$100 for each pair of shoes. Any advice?

That sounds about right to me. Camp mocs are another boat shoeish idea, one that I actually have come to prefer. And penny loafers are a fine shoe to go with chinos. You might also consider something like a wingtip, which you could wear without socks with the chinos, as it's on the casual end of the laced shoe spectrum, or you could wear it with a suit.

In your price range, I would recommend Bass Weejuns for the loafers. They would be good for the boat shoe too, but the classic brands on those are Sperry and Sebago. Feel free to buy the ones with canvas and whatnot if those catch your eye. I personally stay away from the ones with the mesh.

Also, the vast majority here are fine with chinos. There's a small but vocal contingent that hates them, and a few more who hate the idea of dressier chinos, and a few more some who hate them in dark colors. A huge number hate black ones, but there's also an utterly ridiculous hate for black in general on SF, or at least among some of the more vocal posters. But chinos are regarded as a staple by the vast majority, most people's criticisms are based on various aspects of the styling.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I had one crack on a linen jacket recently, I just took one on the other side off too. Each now has 2 buttons, and that suits the jacket well. If there aren't sewn buttonhole patterns, I would just take one off the other side to match. Instead of matching position though, I would take the top one off and move the top one on the sleeve that lost the button and move it down to where the lost button was. If the buttons start too far up the sleeve, it runs the risk of looking off. And really, you don't have to go to an alternations place to sew a button... it's pretty damned easy.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I purchased some argyle socks today. Please rate my purchases:

Photo%20Sep%2018%2C%208%2006%2056%20PM.jpg

Background:
- 22-yo male
- First job/slowly building my wardrobe
- Business casual office environment
- One pair of dark brown Allen Edmonds (I wear these pretty much everyday)

How does one match socks to his outfit? I know the basic rule of thumb is to match the color of your socks with your pants, but my go-to color for pants is charcoal gray and I'm on the prowl for some dark brown ones. I almost never wear black because I don't like to wear black shoes.

For example, can I wear the dark brown/orange argyle socks (third from left) with gray pants and dark brown shoes?

Last edited:

likeaboss

Reaction score

likeaboss: I'll leave the loafer question to someone else, but just wanted to say your plans otherwise sound perfect. I'd also take a colourful ribbon belt to add a bit of interest.

I appreciate the confidence boost, and I like the idea of the ribbon belt for during the day.

That sounds about right to me. Camp mocs are another boat shoeish idea, one that I actually have come to prefer. And penny loafers are a fine shoe to go with chinos. You might also consider something like a wingtip, which you could wear without socks with the chinos, as it's on the casual end of the laced shoe spectrum, or you could wear it with a suit.

In your price range, I would recommend Bass Weejuns for the loafers. They would be good for the boat shoe too, but the classic brands on those are Sperry and Sebago. Feel free to buy the ones with canvas and whatnot if those catch your eye. I personally stay away from the ones with the mesh.

Also, the vast majority here are fine with chinos. There's a small but vocal contingent that hates them, and a few more who hate the idea of dressier chinos, and a few more some who hate them in dark colors. A huge number hate black ones, but there's also an utterly ridiculous hate for black in general on SF, or at least among some of the more vocal posters. But chinos are regarded as a staple by the vast majority, most people's criticisms are based on various aspects of the styling.

I like your suggestion of the camp moccasins. My fear with boat shoes is looking too pretty/douchey. My other fear with loafers is looking too old. I certainly don't want to look like an old man, but at the same time I don't want to give off any sort of young punk impression. I'm a 25 year old, married, good-looking, successful man that just wants to look my age and "smart". I might have to work up towards wing-tips, I'm not sure I could pull it off with confidence at this stage in my style life.

Would this sort of brown colored loafer work? I'm getting overwhelmed with all of the various shades of brown.

PS thx for the chino validation

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A. Or, if you can't find a replacement that matches - e. Buy replacement buttons (whole set)

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a 25 year old, married, good-looking, successful man that just wants to look my age and "smart". I might have to work up towards wing-tips, I'm not sure I could pull it off with confidence at this stage in my style life.

I don't quite comprehend this. You're a "good-looking, successful man", yet you don't have the confidence to wear wing-tips?

I'm not saying you have to wear wing-tips, but if you like them, nut up and wear them.

Last edited:

likeaboss

Reaction score

I don't quite comprehend this. You're a "good-looking, successful man", yet you don't have the confidence to wear wing-tips?

I'm not saying you have to wear wing-tips, but if you like them, nut up and wear them.

My typical response would be something along the lines of: "Nobody I know wears wing-tips or probably even knows what wing-tips are and I feel like I don't have the confidence in my own style yet to successfully wear a shoe that all of my peers would gawk at." My attitude (read as fear) towards fashion might be partially holding me back. I do like wing-tips when I see other people wearing them, but I feel like I don't know how to properly wear & pair them. Would something like these AE McTavish (in Natural) be acceptable to wear with or without socks, with chinos?

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How long should the sleeves of a dress shirt be. When my arms are hanging beside me, where should they come down to?

The answer to this question actually differs depending on whether your cuff is buttoned or unbuttoned. Buttoned, the cuff should rest on the base of your palm. Unbuttoned, it should hang down to cover half or more of the meaty part at the base of your palm. It should be no longer than the bottom of the V made by your thumb and the side of your palm.

The extra material allows your cuff to stay put when you bend your arm, and this is the test for me: if my shirt cuff doesn't move when I bend my arm, the sleeve is long enough.

deburn

Reaction score
Does anyone know who makes Barney's New York's house brand suits?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads