• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

SwampThang

Reaction score
Just wondering what a fair price to pay for a pair of vintage Florsheim Imperial longwings (black/shell cordovan). I understand about 80% of that price is dependent on condition, but some range would be great. eBay is useless at the moment.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Too many factors: condition, sizing, etc., prices for such pair swing considerably. I have seen a pair can sell at $40 here in SF, and some gone for high $300s after a day of listing on ebay.

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
1) When is the next Brooks Brothers sale?

2) Does anyone actually buy two pairs of shoes in different sizes to fit their feet? (so 9.5 for the left, 9.0 for the right)?

Andysrus

Reaction score
is it possible to have a tailor let out the sleeve width of a suit a little? i.e. the jacket is a little tight around my biceps and I'm wondering if it's worth taking to the tailor or if there simply isn't enough fabric there in general to let it out at all.

Flartchy

Reaction score
I always thought midnight blue was darker in theory, but I can't tell the diff in reality. Then I saw this:

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_blue (and other sites) the hex code for navy is: 000080

Whereas according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_blue the hex code for midnight blue is: 191970

So whereas midnight blue has a tiny bit less blue, it also has more red and green. If the two are this close in color-theory, it seems to indicate that in clothes dying, there really isn't going to be much difference between a true navy and midnight blue.

This true?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flartchy
I always thought midnight blue was darker in theory, but I can't tell the diff in reality. Then I saw this:

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_blue (and other sites) the hex code for navy is: 000080

Whereas according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_blue the hex code for midnight blue is: 191970

So whereas midnight blue has a tiny bit less blue, it also has more red and green. If the two are this close in color-theory, it seems to indicate that in clothes dying, there really isn't going to be much difference between a true navy and midnight blue.

This true?

Clothing terminology is different from color theory. Midnight blue means near black with a shade of navy, think of it as the very very dark navy. While navy blue means the lighter shade of navy.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Opinions about this suit?
1302555726.1891409024.additional.01_large.jpg..large.jpg
I think about wearing it with white shirts for formal events and small gingham red check and a solid tie when i'll want to pimp it a little bit. Anyone else had experience with Indochino?are their suits good?

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As always, deeply appreciative of the knowledge of this forum

Questions on dress shirt: How is fit measured? For example I know by now that a 44R jacket actually is 46-48 inches p2p because the coat needs to be loose.

How does it work for shirts (traditional and slim fits)?

I'll make the question simpler. I am ~ 22.5 inches p2p (one side). What would be an appropriate p2p measurement for me for a dress shirt - traditional fit and a slim fit respectively?

Thank you.

officeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Miha28
Any way to save these?

Got em wet? I have 2 favorite ties that had some food stains so I tried washing them in the sink.. They look just like that. Hanging, rolling, steaming, pressing, nothing has worked. My next plan is to get them disassembled, steam/press the hell out of the silk and then remake them.

Axieldor

Reaction score
Any idea what "buttonstand" measurements mean for a suit? Thanks!

Flartchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed
Opinions about this suit?
1302555726.1891409024.additional.01_large.jpg..large.jpg

Love the color and pattern, fo sho mo fo. I'd wear it with a plain white shirt and plain tie to let attention be drawn to the suit itself.

Ike

Reaction score
Re: Indochino, there's a huge thread in the forums, try searching

Miha28

Reaction score
Originally Posted by officeboy
Got em wet? I have 2 favorite ties that had some food stains so I tried washing them in the sink.. They look just like that. Hanging, rolling, steaming, pressing, nothing has worked. My next plan is to get them disassembled, steam/press the hell out of the silk and then remake them.

I tried steaming them and ironing them lightly but without any major effect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics