• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

jipajappa

Reaction score
Today I tried on a pair of Allen Edmonds Strands at the store. The size I tried on (9D) seemed to fit pretty well, except for the fact that, when the laces were fully tightened, the two sides of the shoe did not meet all the way along the laced part of the shoe, but instead formed a relatively pronounced V (does this make sense? I tried to figure out proper terminology but failed). I do not think this is because the shoes were too narrow, since in other shoes I've worn a C or a B. It may be because I have a relatively high arch.

My questions are: (a) Is it normal for the two sides of the shoe to form a V along the laced part rather than meet? and (b) if it's not normal, what, if anything, can I do to find a pair of shoes that fits?

sean anon

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Regent fit SC. I mostly wear SCs at night going out. I am not sure about the utility or styling on this one (shoulders and structure not casual enough)

Last edited:

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think so
smile.gif

In that case, can I have them 2 months ago, for my wedding? lol

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Regent fit SC. I mostly wear SCs at night going out. I am not sure about the utility or styling on this one (shoulders and structure not casual enough)

I'd say it's a good look for a relaxed English/Irish/Scottish pub sort of outing. I wouldn't wear it downtown to a trendy spot. It's the green tones in it that make it 100% country, I think.

sean anon

Reaction score
I'd say it's a good look for a relaxed English/Irish/Scottish pub sort of outing. I wouldn't wear it downtown to a trendy spot. It's the green tones in it that make it 100% country, I think.

Yes the color is one issue. I don't know if this is coming through much on the photos but the shoulders are more padded on this jacket than a Brooks Brothers Fitz I just bought. It might be too structured for my taste for a daytime casual jacket to wear with jeans or cords and a sweater. It's a bummer because the fabric is very nice and I actually like the wider lapel more than the Fitz

Here is the Fitz

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see the structure; it wouldn't bother me, but I have pronounced shoulders to start with, so perhaps that's why. At any rate, I'd certainly wear it to lunch, and I don't think you would turn any heads in a bad way. But you're the one that has to wear is, so you're the one who should like it.

westhill

Reaction score
I have some old bespoke shirts from 20+ years ago but my neck has grown fatter and I can't do up the top button anymore. Some of the cuffs are also fraying. I lost contact with the original shirtmaker many years ago, his phone is not connected and he is no longer at his old address. If I can find a new bespoke shirtmaker, is it possible for the collars to be replaced in order to accommodate my now-fatter neck and can the fraying cuffs be replaced (provided I can find fabric that matches the body of the shirt, or otherwise, a fabric which contrasts with the body of the shirt in a pleasing way)?
Sounds like these shirts are really well loved and worn, so it probably wouldn't justify the expense to re-collar & cuff. I would keep them for weekends and maybe see if you could take to wearing a cravat, if you don't like the open neck look and want to be more dressy . Cravats in a Macclesfield silk with small madder or foulard pattern can be very elegant with a sports jacket and cavallery twill or cord trousers. Don't worry about worn out collars & cuffs, even HRH Prince of Wales is not above wearing one of his beloved Turnbull & Asser's with slightly worn appearance. Quality always shows, its not all about being immaculate ( discounting certain key occasions, daughter's wedding, job interview, state opening of Parliament etc. )
If you really must wear a tie then try to move the button half an inch over, you can even stitch on with elastic thread if you feel really throttled . Often the discomfort is caused by slightly enlarged thyroid gland in neck and even a bigger collar can feel throttling, that's why the cravat can be an elegant alternative.

azumi

Reaction score
Could I fold a pocket square in 1 or 3 points style to go to an job interview, or I must use straight fold?

Thanks.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would either go with the straight fold or no square at all for a job interview. Play it safe.

Besides, I don't like the three-point in any context. Looks too Mens-Wearhouse.

Last edited:

azumi

Reaction score
Since I lost my only white pocket square and the other one might not come on time, I think I'll follow your suggestion, no square.

azumi

Reaction score
Sorry if I make you confused, I had only one plain white PS and it's gone. I buy another online but it seems stuck somewhere. I have several other PS but all are paisley, small dot etc.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today I tried on a pair of Allen Edmonds Strands at the store.  The size I tried on (9D) seemed to fit pretty well, except for the fact that, when the laces were fully tightened, the two sides of the shoe did not meet all the way along the laced part of the shoe, but instead formed a relatively pronounced V (does this make sense?  I tried to figure out proper terminology but failed).  I do not think this is because the shoes were too narrow, since in other shoes I've worn a C or a B.  It may be because I have a relatively high arch.  

My questions are: (a) Is it normal for the two sides of the shoe to form a V along the laced part rather than meet? and (b) if it's not normal, what, if anything, can I do to find a pair of shoes that fits?

Depends on how pronounced it is. I started with a V on some of my shoes and after time the leather has stretched and the cork has sunken so the V is less pronounced and almost closed.

Brooks Brothers Regent fit SC.  I mostly wear SCs at night going out.  I am not sure about the utility or styling on this one (shoulders and structure not casual enough)
I know you didn't ask, but the sleeves are a little short for my taste.

Spaceman Spliff

Reaction score
can any of the new yorkers here recommend a good tailor, preferably one that's open on weekends?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads