1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

You've still got a clearer picture of the norms of the place than anyone else here does. I mean, you've probably been there. You've spoken with someone who works there. You know something about your new work environment, whereas we know nothing.

So "business casual," in this context, sounds like a euphemism for "casual."

If jeans are acceptable, I would assume footwear down to the level of sneakers might well be acceptable.

Of course, "acceptable" doesn't always mean "optimal," but again - you know more about this office than anyone here does. So you're better able to judge what you should wear there.

Good to hear you'll be wearing a shirt. It suggests that this is a high class place. :)

More seriously, what kind of shoes do you normally wear with chinos? As likely as not, you can keep wearing them at this office. Same way that if you were working in an office where everyone was expected to wear suit and tie, I'd suggest, as a starting point, that the shoes you normally wear with suits and ties could be appropriate.

2. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Well-Known Member

Welcome. I moved your quick question to the dedicated thread for quick questions. The lining on the coat is catching at the shirt somewhere and keeping the sleeve from falling. Your shirts are fuller at some point than your coats assume they will be.

3. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Post pics, not links.

4. masaccio

masaccio Well-Known Member

Is there a particular name for the weave of the fabric in the suit in this J. Crew photo?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  5. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

6. masaccio

Thanks!

I wonder is it considered a "cheap" cloth/weave?

I couldn't help but notice after some quick Google searches that many of the hits for "tic weave suit" were of the Men's Wearhouse, Jos. A. Bank, and Lauren Ralph Lauren variety.

7. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

No, it's not necessarily a cheap weave. The search results are probably just a matter of more people looking for cheap suits than Brioni or Zegna.

8. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

changed my mind. would either of these work? feel free to tell me if you think they're ugly...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mainly to be worn with chinos

thanks!

9. masaccio

Black shoes are generally too formal for chinos.

10. RaggedyDandy

RaggedyDandy Well-Known Member

The second pair looks to be dark brown? Brown suede derbys should be fine with chinos. But agreed, not black.

11. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

yep dark brown. thanks.

follow up question:

anyone have any experience with Lands' End Sail Rigger shirts?

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-sail-rigger-oxford-shirt/id_248653

12. Slh

Slh Well-Known Member

I decided to get rid of all my ill fitting odd jackets and at the moment I only own a navy hopsack blazer which is very light so only suited for summer. For max versatility I would like to add a navy jacket for the winter months. I live in a mild climate place so I don't need extremely heavy fabrics. Then I would like to add a brown jacket, in tweed probably, but at the moment I want to focus on the navy jacket.
    What would be a good fabric for a winter navy blazer? Obviously something versatile that would go with flannel trousers, cords, etc.

13. Gantt

Gantt New Member

Anybody have a good ascot pattern to go with this suit and a white shirt?
    [​IMG]

14. justridiculous

justridiculous Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  15. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Well-Known Member

What tie brands should I look at that are a step above the Tie Bar?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  16. BoomDiggs

BoomDiggs Well-Known Member

When wearing clothing with texture is it advisable to make sure the types of texture are disparate? For example, if I have a blue herringbone tweed jacket and brown herringbone tweed pants, should I avoid wearing them together?

17. 12345Michael54321

Not an exhaustive list, and various exceptions exist, but -

Kiton, Borrelli, Attolini, Isaia, Bulgari, Charvet, Marinella, Hermes, Carlo Franco, Sam Hober.

Perhaps a little below those, are Brioni, Stefano Ricci, Nicky of Milan, Drake, Holliday & Brown, Turnbull & Asser, Massimo Bizzocchi, Breuer, Robert Talbott (the sevenfolds and the Best of Class line), Four in Hand, Zegna (but not the Villa Bolgheri line), Canali.

Dropping down another step might be Altea, Pucci, Dolce & Gabbana, Zegna Villa Bolgheri line, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Robert Talbott's lesser lines, and Brooks Brothers.

I've compiled this list based largely on things other people have posted. And since some of the posts are nearly a decade old, the ratings may have changed over time. I have little to no personal experience with most of the aforementioned brands. I usually just buy Brooks (usually during a great sale, although I'm perfectly willing to buy new Brooks ties off of eBay for a fraction of their normal selling price). I do own (and wear) the odd Robert Talbott, Tie Bar, Lands' End, etc.

If I were to look for something nicer than Brooks, I'd just order a tie from Sam Hober, and call it a day.

18. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Is the quality on the Tie Bar ties good. I have one, but can't really tell. From a price point perspective, it's a pretty low bar.

19. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

20. 12345Michael54321

Tie Bar ties have been addressed previously, both here on SF, and elsewhere. What did you think of these past discussions and reviews when you looked at them? Was there some aspect of the ties upon which nobody has touched, and which is personally important to you?

Realistically, if you already own one, and you're satisfied with it, then I'd maintain that pretty much by definition, you find it to be a satisfactory tie.

Sure, there may be ties which are of better quality in various ways, but if, as you suggest, differences in tie quality are largely lost on you ("can't tell"), then to you those quality differences have little real significance. So why worry about them?

To give a personal example, to me all whiskey tastes equally vile. I have friends who are whiskey connoisseurs. Thanks to them, I've tried some fairly expensive, well regarded whiskeys. But whether it's from a >$100 bottle of Laphroaig or Glenfiddich, or from a <$10 bottle that would cause a whiskey lover to recoil in horror, it's all the same to me. So for me to worry about the quality of the whiskey I'm drinking is rather pointless; I can detect no difference whatsoever.

(On those occasions when I buy one of them a nice bottle as a gift, I simply buy whichever Scotch whiskey I've heard them speak of in favorable terms, and which falls into the desired price range. Same way that when they buy me a bottle of wine, I suspect they go to the store and buy whichever bottle has a little card next to it, saying "95 points from Wine Spectator!")

Agreed, even with the price hike up to $20, they're fairly inexpensive for new neckties.

1 person likes this.