• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thank you, ITG
exactly, the matching i mean to 1) suit , 2) trouser + shirt , 3) trouser + sportscoat
now i know blue suit is a good choice
then blue pants + shirts is also OK i think, so is blue pants + grey sportscoat.

everyone, any more choice?
smile.gif

Navy pants would be good too. Not sure I would wear it with khaki's though. If you have any earth tone pants or even bright ones, maybe it'll go with that as well.

As far as shirt... I'm not really sure, but I think you'd be fine with just about anything except perhaps black.

Wear those in good health!

What are those btw?

Last edited:

J011yroger

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd see how it looked with a black trouser, lavender shirt, purple sweater.

Awesome with jeans.

J

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy pants would be good too. Not sure I would wear it with khaki's though. If you have any earth tone pants or even bright ones, maybe it'll go with that as well.

As far as shirt... I'm not really sure, but I think you'd be fine with just about anything except perhaps black.

Wear those in good health!

What are those btw?

I have a bright blue pair of jeans, and would love to pair those grey shoes with them. for a casual look. I agree darker colours - those shoes are unique, so you should create some contrast and make them a centre piece of the fit. I would also avoid black shirts and pants, but a black tie would be fine, and a black blazer with mid-grey pants might be an interesting look. Not very classic, mind you, but with minimal break, and showing some nice coloured socks, like hunter green, could be a nice combination. I think, with a grey suit, it would be just too much of the body covered in grey. Now, if you wanted to do a study in colour, it might be fun to do a fit with all various shades of grey - grey suit, grey socks, grey shoes, grey belt, grey patterned shirt, grey tie, grey hat, grey overcoat. More of an academically interesting idea than something to wear in public. But it works in brown, so maybe... Anyway I'm not endorsing wearing it, so if you try it and look terrible, don't come back and blame me :p

westhill

Reaction score
Matching to what? Any belt in the same grey range would be fine. I have one that would go perfectly from banana republic. These would look great with jeans, or would nicely dress down a blue suit. I would not wear them with grey trousers, but with a grey sport coat could be good. It might be too matchy, but you'd have to see to decide.
Grey worn with with a very dark chocolate colour can also be extremely chic and rather Italian, also anything in a dark red, or burgundy can be very good . All different tones of grey together is good , maybe including some grey melange that's very fashionable this Autumn/Fall, but you need something to enliven the look, a touch of cream or a deep red or petrol blue or lavender accessory , tie , scarf, socks, or even shirt or pullover to pull it all together.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah. I think black pants might be good, but I wouldn't wear a black shirt unless you're wearing a blazer or tie which is going to give tons of contrast.

I'm not a traditionalist though and I wear brown shoes with black pants and think it looks awesome if they're light/tan. I also wear white bucks with black pants and a black shirt pairs with a white belt and sometimes white tie. I wouldn't wear it to an interview, but sometimes you can have some fun with it if you think you can rawk it.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are black coats (trench coat, duffle coat, over coat etc...) acceptable to wear with dark brown/ brown shoes?

Last edited:

bbob2013

Reaction score
Is there a reason why standard in store pants OTR (chinos, jeans, etc) longer inseams (34 or 36) stop at 36/38 waist size? Typically 34 length is often not avaliable for sizes over 36 or 38.

BB

Reaction score
I have some old bespoke shirts from 20+ years ago but my neck has grown fatter and I can't do up the top button anymore. Some of the cuffs are also fraying. I lost contact with the original shirtmaker many years ago, his phone is not connected and he is no longer at his old address. If I can find a new bespoke shirtmaker, is it possible for the collars to be replaced in order to accommodate my now-fatter neck and can the fraying cuffs be replaced (provided I can find fabric that matches the body of the shirt, or otherwise, a fabric which contrasts with the body of the shirt in a pleasing way)?

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have some old bespoke shirts from 20+ years ago but my neck has grown fatter and I can't do up the top button anymore. Some of the cuffs are also fraying. I lost contact with the original shirtmaker many years ago, his phone is not connected and he is no longer at his old address. If I can find a new bespoke shirtmaker, is it possible for the collars to be replaced in order to accommodate my now-fatter neck and can the fraying cuffs be replaced (provided I can find fabric that matches the body of the shirt, or otherwise, a fabric which contrasts with the body of the shirt in a pleasing way)?

Cuffs surely. Collar, I would guess not, but if you love the shirts, I suppose its worth finding a tailor and asking what he can do.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sigh. I had two boots resoled and the cobbler used brown instead of black edge dressing. It looked fine but I preferred the black so I just did it myself at home with black edge dressing I already had. This I'd what it looked like when I got it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads