• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Secruoser

Reaction score
Black washed jeans, medium grey blazer, what to wear inside? Partner is wearing black long dress with silver stones along her waist and neckline. Going to a ballroom dinner.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black washed jeans, medium grey blazer, what to wear inside? Partner is wearing black long dress with silver stones along her waist and neckline. Going to a ballroom dinner.

Jeans? Where is your Tuxedo, man! At the very least rise to a charcoal or navy suit eutg white shirt and solid tie.t

AmericanLion

Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of some good pre-made searches(ebay) for high end Men's dress shoes? I use to have some for suits..shirts and shoes but seem to have lost the bookmark. Right now I am only looking at Allen Edmonds and Aldens used on Ebay because my budget is about 100$ right now for this pair. If any of you guys could suggest for some other brands for me to search or a pre-made search that would be awesome.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jeans? Where is your Tuxedo, man! At the very least rise to a charcoal or navy suit eutg white shirt and solid tie.t

Quoted for truth. "Black washed jeans" -- the lady is wearing a dress, let alone one with fancy decorations, let alone in black, let alone LONG? Doesn't matter if it's heirloom-quality woven on the finest loom in all of Japan and you paid four figures for it; denim dropped off the list of acceptable trousers about three and a half notches back. Under the assumption that the blazer is nonnegotiable: I'd advise you to find some charcoal trousers, lace up your nicest black or burgundy shoes, find some silver cuff links, stick with a plain-ish shirt (maybe small check) and I think a navy or dark red silk knit tie.

You know, that’s just, like, my opinion, man... and I don't know anything about your own style or wardrobe options. But I'll tell you what, I bet she appreciates the hell out of it.

opperbanaan

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently fell in love with this coat from the kooples :

It got no lapels but instead got a leather stand up collar. If i would have to give this coat a name if would call it a nehru coat.
I cant find this coat anywhere so does somebody know a coat which looks like this one?

Many thanks.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, well I think enough people have made the point that jeans and a blazer is not the appropriate outfit to match your date. Not knowing what your budget is for adding other elements, it is hard to advise what you should do. If you can't afford to pick up anything new, and this is all you have to work with, keep it simple and classic with the shirt and tie. RandomAdam is spot on with his advice. Stay away from loud colours for the shirt. If you go with a pattern, I would say something grey or light blue (and I'm not even sure about that with black pants) on white. A grey bengal stripe might look good - I saw some nice looking ones at Nordstrom's last week. If you have it in your closet, or you can afford one, go for, as I said, a charcoal or darker navy suit. Either one of those suits is apprpriate for almost every occasion - weddings, funerals, job interviews, meetings, etc. And, each one can range from Business Casual, all the way through to Black Tie Optional.

J011yroger

Reaction score

I love jeans, I've worn jeans on new years eve with a velvet blazer, but this post hurt my soul.

You have a date in 2013 who will wear a long dress. Rise to the occasion.

J

IsteRed

Reaction score
Anyone knows who makes this scarf Lino is wearing?
ydaguved.jpg

Random Person

Reaction score

anyone know what type and name of vans these are I really want them but can't find out what there called?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good God man, those look like run of the mill vans. Are the laces throwing you off?

Also, wrong forum?

Last edited:

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i bought this hotheaded grey shoe, so can anyone give me advice on matching? the true color is a little brighter...

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i bought this hotheaded grey shoe, so can anyone give me advice on matching? the true color is a little brighter...
Matching to what? Any belt in the same grey range would be fine. I have one that would go perfectly from banana republic. These would look great with jeans, or would nicely dress down a blue suit. I would not wear them with grey trousers, but with a grey sport coat could be good. It might be too matchy, but you'd have to see to decide.

ovlov

Reaction score
What is museum calf? Also when assessing shoe leathers is there much/any difference between leathers advertised as being from different regions like having a choice between English a French calf for example?

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you, ITG
exactly, the matching i mean to 1) suit , 2) trouser + shirt , 3) trouser + sportscoat
now i know blue suit is a good choice
then blue pants + shirts is also OK i think, so is blue pants + grey sportscoat.

everyone, any more choice?
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads