1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. StanBabalistic

StanBabalistic Member

I have basically two brown dress shoes and two black. Just discovered today that the "beater" pair of black shoes - some not-great square-toed rockports - had almost completely separated from the sole in the heel. Obviously, these need replacing.

Other black pair is a brand-new (this past Christmas) cap-toed Oxford by Johnston & Murphy. Yeah, sorry.

I'm on a budget so I'd like to keep this second pair right around $100. If it exonerates previous choices, my issue is that I have big feet, and take generally a 15W or 16D (sometimes 16W too; depends on the maker). I'd also like something that it's possible to walk around in a lot without falling apart (I'm in a city, have no car, walk to train to work, etc. etc.).

Any tips? Thanks!

2. Melbush

Melbush Well-Known Member

I have a wool vest that I would like to customize by adding contrasting leather or wool sleeves. Any idea who could help me with that? Any website or store in the DC (or even NYC) area?

3. cj456k2

cj456k2 New Member

4. cdgreg

cdgreg Well-Known Member

I recently thrifted a pair of AE MacNeil's for 8.99. http://m.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF232_1_40000000001_-1#

They are leather soled which is not only beat to hell but doesn't work for my climate the majority of the time. Is it possible for a cobbler to install a dianite (hope I spelled this right) type sole? If so, any idea on an average price range for this?

edit: nm, did some digging. Apparently topy may be the best option for me given my circumstances. I know there are differing sides to this camp. Anyone have a cobbler they use in the Rochester, NY area?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  5. mad liberator

mad liberator Member

I'm roughly a true medium, 48" chest, pretty slim overall

Would a size 2 Noragi fit too tight?

6. herp

herp Well-Known Member

Are there currently any known problems at USPS? The international shipping for two parcels takes quite long.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  7. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

BNelson in Manhattan does Dainite, but it's a bit pricey.

8. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Just got back my allen Edmonds fifth avenues from the cobbler to replace the heels. By default, the fifth ave. has a black heel but my cobbler painted my heel area dark brown, the same color as my uppers.

Does this make the shoe less formal?

9. Businessness

Businessness Well-Known Member

Can anyone link me to a place online where I can buy skinny black chinos that are low rise? I want them to be slightly wider than Saint Laurent skinny, have all black stitching and be high quality

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

11. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

There's a ton of snow on pretty much the entire Eastern continent. If you have a package that needs to go anywhere through that area there's a pretty good chance it will be delayed.

1 person likes this.
  12. LelandJ

LelandJ Well-Known Member

Did you not tell your cobbler to replace like for like identically?

13. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

I didn't think he will paint over my heels since all I had told him to do was replace my worn out heels with new ones. He did a fabulous job, but I'm not sure whether dark brown shoes paired with brown heels are considered formal.

14. GloryField

GloryField Active Member

Not sure which pants/shirt/tie to wear for Valentines Day dinner at one of the best French restaurants in Boston, although it has no required dress code. We will also be going to the Boston Wine Expo Saturday, followed by a very nice restaurant for dinner, and then going to a birthday party at a nightclub afterwards.

Blazer (& white pocket square with silver borders):
    http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothing/suiting/PRDOVR~38647/38647.jsp?color_name=warm-navy

Boots (and will wear same colored leather belt):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7AJK7U

Pants choices
    Dusty Camel Jeans:
    http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothing/pants/denim/PRDOVR~90541/90541.jsp?color_name=dusty-camel

Burgandy/Wine Chinos (Express photographer, couldn't find on web)
    http://imageshack.com/a/img191/6885/lgo8.jpg

Gray Khakis:
    http://us.dockers.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21480386&locale=en_US&clickid=prod_cs

Shirts:
    http://imageshack.com/a/img706/6138/b3c8.jpg
    The white and the 2 blue shirts to the left of the military tab shirt (won't wear) are button downs.

Ties:
    http://imageshack.com/a/img585/5706/fej3.jpg
    The solid gray tie is chambray

So far I was thinking of these combinations for the Valentine's Day dinner:

Navy blazer, burgandy chinos, white OCBD shirt, gray chambray tie

Navy blazer, dusty camel jeans, light lavender with white stripes shirt, dark red tie with mini pindots

Navy blazer, gray chinos, solid pink shirt, gray chambray tie

For the Wine Expo / sat dinner and clubbing, I might ditch the blazer and just go with a gray vneck sweater and blue OCBD, no tie

What do you guys think?

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I'm not sure dark brown shoes are ever considered "formal", strictly speaking. But shoes with brown uppers and brown heels are no less formal than shoes with brown uppers and black heels.

16. oelarnes

oelarnes New Member

Can you help identify these shoes? I picked them up today second-hand:

[​IMG]

The insoles say "Superfeet" (indeed, a brand of insoles), but otherwise there are no identifying marks. Thanks!

17. dan138zig

dan138zig Well-Known Member

This might sound stupid but mind you English is not my first language: if a sweater description says "long sleeves", does it mean the sleeves are longer than the usual sweaters or just the face that the sweater has long sleeves, as opposed to short sleeves? (As if there are sweaters with short sleeves??)

18. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

I think Kent Wang mentioned that dark brown "captoes" can be worn in almost any setting aside from a black-tie event. Not that his words are the end of all debates, but just using it as reference. I apologize if I didn't use captoes in my previous description.

19. NatePie

NatePie New Member

When I shine my shoes, I always find they are shinier BEFORE I buff, and when I do buff them, they are still shiny but somewhat duller. Anyone know why this is, and should I continue buffing?

20. NatePie

NatePie New Member

Just the fact that they have long sleeves. Not sure if short-sleeve sweaters exist.