• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any way to make a college apt less boring?

s2kev

Reaction score
When I was on college I used Blik graphics to add some excitement to the room. It's a lot easier than painting the room since you won't have to repaint the walls before you move out. They have some pretty cool stuff now, when I first bought from them they only had a small selection of designs. Check them out http://www.whatisblik.com/

gauche.story

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
A regular dosing of lysergic acid diethylamide certainly will make things less boring.

Oh College, I miss you so.

defan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by s2kev
When I was on college I used Blik graphics to add some excitement to the room. It's a lot easier than painting the room since you won't have to repaint the walls before you move out. They have some pretty cool stuff now, when I first bought from them they only had a small selection of designs. Check them out

http://www.whatisblik.com/

Awesome stuff, thanks.

QBNCGAR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
To make it more interesting, make sure there are college girls there on da regular!

Originally Posted by yjeezle
+1

Damn, beat me to it...
laugh.gif

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just finished a year in my first apartment. I dropped a fairly solid deal of cash (for me at least) and searched long and hard for various free things to fill it up with. It looked super well put together, was fairly decent quality, and I feel so much better now that most of it is gone. Don't buy high quality ****. You're probably going to find yourself making a bunch of mistakes and your tastes changing over time. You'll also find that you don't need it. Look at pawn shops and Goodwill for some incredible things. Used is fine in most instances. The one thing that I'm glad that I didn't get used was my couch (from Ikea). Don't get the bullshit print art from Hobby Lobby. Get their plastic frames and makes some original things with your friends or find some original print art. It'll cost you the same amount but you get to be original. http://www.theskidshop.bigcartel.com/products Original paintings are pretty good too. I have two and they make a pretty big difference for empty spaces. One was a tapestry from peru ($30) and the other a painting from a traveling Israeli girl ($100). They look ballin and get lots of love. Try and buy according to what you need, not what you want. You'll appreciate this eventually, but may have to make your own mistakes by dropping cash on a Mad Men crib first.

inq89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by s2kev
When I was on college I used Blik graphics to add some excitement to the room. It's a lot easier than painting the room since you won't have to repaint the walls before you move out. They have some pretty cool stuff now, when I first bought from them they only had a small selection of designs. Check them out

http://www.whatisblik.com/

Thanks and will look into.

Originally Posted by HgaleK
I just finished a year in my first apartment. I dropped a fairly solid deal of cash (for me at least) and searched long and hard for various free things to fill it up with. It looked super well put together, was fairly decent quality, and I feel so much better now that most of it is gone.

Don't buy high quality ****. You're probably going to find yourself making a bunch of mistakes and your tastes changing over time. You'll also find that you don't need it.

Look at pawn shops and Goodwill for some incredible things. Used is fine in most instances. The one thing that I'm glad that I didn't get used was my couch (from Ikea).

Don't get the bullshit print art from Hobby Lobby. Get their plastic frames and makes some original things with your friends or find some original print art. It'll cost you the same amount but you get to be original. http://www.theskidshop.bigcartel.com/products

Original paintings are pretty good too. I have two and they make a pretty big difference for empty spaces. One was a tapestry from peru ($30) and the other a painting from a traveling Israeli girl ($100). They look ballin and get lots of love.

Try and buy according to what you need, not what you want. You'll appreciate this eventually, but may have to make your own mistakes by dropping cash on a Mad Men crib first.

Yeah I definitely want my apt clean and lacking clutter. I have my bedroom setup, really just need a sofa, coffee table, TV and stand, and a kitchen table. Everything else is negotiable. I do like the Mad Men 1960s modernism aesthetic but really don't know how to incorporate that, or if I should, with a generic carpeted apartment.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
Thanks and will look into.

Yeah I definitely want my apt clean and lacking clutter. I have my bedroom setup, really just need a sofa, coffee table, TV and stand, and a kitchen table. Everything else is negotiable. I do like the Mad Men 1960s modernism aesthetic but really don't know how to incorporate that, or if I should, with a generic carpeted apartment.

Save the coffee table for last. It's the least necessary (and sometimes just additional clutter).

guitarpkr76

Reaction score
There were a couple guys a while back that transformed their one-story dorm room into a two-story dorm room. It was all modular so they could take it apart when they moved out. Obviously that would be a bit much. Too bad I can't find the link anymore.

So(cal)Steezy

Reaction score
I'm about at that stage. Just get creative. I think I am going to make a wall mural in my living area out of my old record case collection. Mixed with modern decor.

gauche.story

Reaction score
Originally Posted by So(cal)Steezy
I think I am going to make a wall mural in my living area out of my old record case collection. Mixed with modern decor.

Sounds pretty college-y

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads