• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another "my new apartment" thread

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I would really think about painting that floor black. I'm not sure the texture of the grain and its color is doing much for the space right now. Right now the lack of contrast makes it feel dirty.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
DSC07794.jpg

3885275936_dcf9c2e5ed_o.jpg

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black floors? Why do you hate wood?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black wood floors are the cancer of current interior design

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Black floors? Why do you hate wood?
Originally Posted by gdl203
Black wood floors are the cancer of current interior design
Thanks for the Photoshopping, StephenHero! Well, completely black floors will look too harsh, I think, but now I'm seriously considering staining them darker...some gloss might be nice too. (I'm not entirely happy with them as they are, and there is some wear to them which has to attended anyway.) Still no pictures back from the framers.
frown.gif

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Thanks for the Photoshopping, StephenHero!

Well, completely black floors will look too harsh, I think, but now I'm seriously considering staining them darker...some gloss might be nice too. (I'm not entirely happy with them as they are, and there is some wear to them which has to attended anyway.)

Still no pictures back from the framers.
frown.gif

Aren't black floors go completely against what every Scandinavian-pagan-wood-worshiper stand for?
worship.gif
lol8[1].gif

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Aren't black floors go completely against what every Scandinavian-pagan-wood-worshiper stand for?
worship.gif
lol8[1].gif

Yah, maybe I should just stain it darker with some blood from my killed enemies, mixed with mead?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Yah, maybe I should just stain it darker with some blood from my killed enemies, mixed with mead?

I vote mid-brown but that's me. Right now they're just too pale.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I vote mid-brown but that's me. Right now they're just too pale.

I vote mid-to-dark brown.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had black, glossy floors for a few years. The ceilings were 15 feet so you didn't see anything at the top periphery of your view of the room. The ceilings kind of disappeared. The black floors tended to anchor the room. The problem was the floors required constant cleaning. Any dust, beer cans in the corners or what-not, became highly visible.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Golden brown with some red tint? - I like your idea.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, so we're selling as it is, because of the baby who's expected in a couple of weeks. We never got around to installing a new kitchen, so we'll sell it with the old, crappy one that was there when we moved in. Oteherwise, all the walls were just plastered and painted again, and the bathroom is three-four years old. We decided to leave the floors as they were, we've just scrubbed them brutally, which I think left a nice patina, although many people would want the floors refinished, I guess. Estate agent's photos, mostly:
DSC05087.jpg
stue2.jpg
det1.jpg
stue4.jpg
det.jpg
spisestue1.jpg
spisestue3.jpg
soverom.jpg
utsikt.jpg
bad.jpg
kjokken3.jpg
Views:
utsikt3.jpg
utsikt2.jpg
utsikt1.jpg
DSC07625765765.jpg
DSC07625765761.jpg
DSC05062.jpg

Gene Parmesan

Reaction score
Nice place - not my taste in interior design, but undoubtedly attractive and homely. Also, it's amazing how estate agent photos completely transform the look of a place. Crazy.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like the light above the dining table. Is it vintage or new? If new, where did you acquire it?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan
Nice place - not my taste in interior design, but undoubtedly attractive and homely. Also, it's amazing how estate agent photos completely transform the look of a place. Crazy.
Yes, the wide-angle tomfoolery is annoying when you're trying to buy a place, but when you're the seller...
Originally Posted by HORNS
I really like the light above the dining table. Is it vintage or new? If new, where did you acquire it?
Vintage 1930s, inherited from my grandparents. This type aren't that hard to find on ebay - try ebay.de (the German one), there's always plenty there, although you may have to negotiate somewhat and pay a bit extra to make the sellers ship outside of Germany. There are also normally quite a few on the French ebay. These lamps very often have ugly shades, with ornate mouldings and flowers, as did mine, but I just changed it into open-top matte spheres, they are a standard type.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics