1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

Cross-post from MTO thread... Just got back from the trunk show - thanks to Paul, Skip, Ryan, Matt, and the guys from the production team - who were chock full of information on parts of the process that our MTOs are going through... Got there late, so didn't get to spend as much time getting familiar, but Paul did toss me a compliment on my jacket while I was there... [​IMG]

It couldn't have turned out better!

As for photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bottle Green Macneil , Natural Dundee and Deep Dark Brown Strand. The Navy PA (if I remember correctly) slipped away from the display for a moment, and I was a little loopy from low blood sugar - ate all the cookies put out for us. Glad I went...Am concocting my shoe now...thinking about a Bottle green Strand without medallion or Natural Macneil. Will call in tomorrow - happy to hear suggestions!

1 person likes this.
  2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

That green looks nice!!

I'd love to see the new dark brown vs regular brown.

If I go natty, the only question is: leeds or dundee?

3. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

That natural Dundee fills me with so much want.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. jubu

jubu Well-Known Member

Bottle Green Strand w/o medallion sounds awesome!! I think I may have to copy you on that....what color welt? :slayer:

5. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

Thank you to all the Veterans that have served our country

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

@tampatravel Well Done Sir!

7. Dan e gee

Dan e gee Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Are these Cordovan. If so they are £106 on in size 6UK on YOOX.

8. epc2

epc2 Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Looking at buying a Strand from the Shoebank, trying to decide between Oxblood,Chili and Bourbon, they're all available in my size, they'll be paired with Navy,grey,Charcoal and khaki , what color you think will be more versatile?

TIA.

9. Josh Savage

Josh Savage Well-Known Member

My opinion is that when looking for versatility, the darker the better.

10. Josh Savage

SOLD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  11. Indyoshi68

Thanks jubu; I was thinking of a welt something similar to these:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This is where I could use some help - is this a medium brown and natural or chili welt? I'm assuming that's Carmina on the left, too, and is a pretty accurate representation of the actual Bottle Green I saw. The shell Strand needs it's piping, judging from the pic I posted. Looked a bit rough around the edges without it.

Agreed - it is bad ass in person, guess that's why it's flying out of the door.

That green is incredible, without screaming "look at me". The Deep dark Brown really just appeared more saturated with color that the old brown, and a hint of red or cherry undertones...the true difference will show up as patina develops I would assume. It'll be more uniform that what I've seen from the old brown I'm sure. There was no natty leeds (had black on display) to compare it to, peppercorn, but that Dundee...purty. Excuse me, guys, but what other boots are included as part in the trunk show? I forgot to ask.

12. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

I think there could be a place for all of them, but I'm a big fan of red in all its forms, so I would probably start with the first two.

13. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Yup - click "Marketplace" at the top of the page and be sure to read the terms closely. Also, you can put a link to what you're selling in your signature.

1 person likes this.
  14. mjg89

mjg89 New Member

Returned Pair [​IMG]
    Replacements [​IMG]

Way to go AE! Just one week after I returned my Brown Bleecker Street boot that looked more "Bourbon", they sent replacements. Very much dark brown. I previously put them side by side with my Brown Park Ave & my Bourbon Fifth Ave. Here is the replacement. Excellent AE!!!

15. aejc

aejc Member

Quote: All should work, but depending upon how dark the charcoal pants, bourbon might be a distraction; chili and oxblood will work with everything other than dark brown. Between chili and oxblood, I prefer oxblood with most colors, particularly navy and charcoal; however, chili may be better if your khakis are more mushroom or British khaki, and is a bit more sedate with regular khakis. So oxblood for versatility; chili if your primarily color palette is a broad spectrum of khakis but you want occasional versatility for a few other colors. Bourbon, while ok with all colors you mention, is strongest for the entire tan/khaki/brown spectrum, while weakest with the other colors.

16. Josh Savage

Is there a way to search the marketplace by size?

17. Indyoshi68

For those of you with many MTO makeups under your belt, your input is requested.
    How does this sound for my trunk show order:

Strand SMU:
    -Bottle Green Shell
    -Tone on tone stitching
    -No Medallion
    -Independence Lining
    -Regular Buff (or Chili) Welt
    -Wheeled Edge
    -Fudging
    -Medium Brown (for natural) or Light Brown (for Chili) Transparent Edging
    -Beaded Piping (is Bottle Green possible?)
    -Double Leather Reinbach Sole with Combination Heel

My first independent make up.

18. jubu

jubu Well-Known Member

Recent Shoebank score...got lucky while checking out the site late one night and was able to snag them before someone else.

Portland Boot in Bourbon w/ V-Tap Sole....does anyone have experience with the V-Tap Sole? How durable is it? Wondering if I should drop them off at B. Nelson to have toe taps installed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. zegogglestheydonothing

zegogglestheydonothing Active Member

I have a question for you fellow AE fans. I would like to get a pair of AE's in dark brown suede, but I'm not sure which style to get. Any suggestions? I'm new to wearing suede shoes and don't know if I can wear the same pair with suits and denim despite some forum searching...

My current thoughts are either the fifth avenue, or strand, or a monk strap if they offer it.

Thanks for your help!

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Great Score - I wish they would bring this back or do an ankle version of it...so many MTO's to do of it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.