• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayoungs

Reaction score
I bought a pair of brown Jermyn's, which are a superb fit for my feet. I wasn't quick enough to get them in black before AE discontinued the line. The Manchester is made on Last 97, so should be a good fit according to SE. Does anyone own either Jermyn and Manchester, or Park Avenue and Manchester, and if so are the fits roughly comparable.

Second question: Does anyone know the AE sales cycles (trying to figure out whether Manchester likely to go on sale in next few months or just break down and pay retail).
Oh on the black Jermyn, check the website, they must have found another batch or something. The walnut made a comeback for a bit too it appears.

ayoungs

Reaction score
Do you guys think they'll be another good shell 2nd sale this year? I have like 3 pair of shell seconds I could grab. I have over a dozen pairs of AE in general, many gotten in just the last year!
Now to convince my better half that one can not have too many shoes.... haha.

LeviMay

Reaction score

I've been told by Allison that this is not possible in most cases due to patterns only fitting the last they're designed for. Once you start talking about new patterns getting drawn up for a custom order, you're getting into bespoke territory.

I do believe, though that in some isolated cases (such as one forum member getting a McNeil on the 5 last), it may be possible, but I think that's mostly do to a discontinued model's pattern being easily modified. In this case, there had been a defunct LWB on the 5 last.

Makes sense.

Thanks!

LeviMay

Reaction score

So has Allison matched the Clearance prices typically?  I'm thinking of a Jermyn makeup due to clearance, I love the look of that shoe, just want some tweaks.
I'd be very interested in hearing how MTO with clearances go.

I think this was covered a page ago or so. Up until now, clearance prices were used for MTO; not so going forward.

chris45

Reaction score
Thanks for this. I'm considering grabbing a pair of Amoks on clearance, but given I purchased a pair of Black Hills earlier this week, I'd rather it go through when it ships.

I was also curious about that question so thanks for asking.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been trying to do a simple MTO since January 14th. That is insane to me. It should not be this difficult. I am pretty frustrated at this point. I literally email 5 or 6 times for every 1 response I get. I have emailed 3 times saying the specs are a go and cannot get a response. I know people are busy, but 30 days for a simple CXL makeup...I am over it and moving on. AE has lost me on this one

Agreed. It's really great that they do MTO and waive the fee for us... but the process is absurd. It's as absurd as the antiquated system they use for Shoebank 2nds. Send an email, pray for a response in a week or two. It's amateur hour. Here's a thought... if they're having trouble keeping up with demand to buy their freakin shoes, hire more people. Radical, I know. And on cue, no doubt here come the AE apologists in 3...2.... 1

But trying since Jan 14th is nothing! It took me 6 months to get my first MTO's. It's an exercise in patience and mine (and it sounds like yours) is wearing thin. In conclusion, AE, take my money!

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Agreed. It's really great that they do MTO and waive the fee for us... but the process is absurd. It's as absurd as the antiquated system they use for Shoebank 2nds. Send an email, pray for a response in a week or two. It's amateur hour. Here's a thought... if they're having trouble keeping up with demand to buy their freakin shoes, hire more people. Radical, I know. And on cue, no doubt here come the AE apologists in 3...2.... 1

But trying since Jan 14th is nothing! It took me 6 months to get my first MTO's. It's an exercise in patience and mine (and it sounds like yours) is wearing thin. In conclusion, AE, take my money!

6months to receive or just order?

Mark_Y

Reaction score
My new navy Strandmoks arrived today from the clearance sale. Not sure I'll be keeping them. These are my first unstructured AEs and while they fit great and are comfortable, they almost appear cheap. I might be off base on this though.

Also, I think I tried on damn near every color pants I have in my closet. Stone, light blue, gray, burgandy, khaki, and I'm not wowed by any of the combinations. My wife thinks the light blue look the best, I think the stone chino does. I did these try-ons in the evening, I'm going to do it again in the day light and see if there is any difference.

I've been wanting some blue suede shoes for a while, unfortunately I'm not sure these are them. I could send them back and put the $200 towards some Rush Streets.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated, especially on color combos.

Pastor

Reaction score

3….2….1….touchdown.

I'm not much of an apologist when it comes to AE but I've had the opposite experience. I've purchased 6 pair of shell seconds from the the OH outlet. When I email them I usually get a response within a few hours. Now I'm at the point that they email me if they have shell shoes in my size. For my MTO, Allison always responded to my request but I didn't pester her everyday with details. I waited until I knew what I wanted and then I called her to set up the MTO. I had no issues at all and received my shell MTO's earlier than promised and that included an remake. If you want to experience bad customer service try calling someone at Alden. I've sent shoes back to AE and I've had them remake shoes many times but they have always had good customer service.

Just a suggestion, pick up the phone and call Allison.

WICaniac

Reaction score
I can understand the frustration above, but we ought to keep this in perspective. If you encountered a hastle while purchasing shoes at full or sale price in an AE store or over the internet, I would say that your indignation was justified. What we're dealing with here, however, is a series of ad hoc arrangements in which (a) the CEO has assigned some woman responsibility for handling our outrageous MTO requests at unbelievable prices and (b) sales reps at the shoebanks send us inventory lists and ship shoes (with no shipping fee) when they're not dealing with flesh-and-blood customers. Amateur hour? Charity hour is more like it. AE's profit margins on customers like me (who take full advantages of 2nds, military discounts, and clearance prices) are already slim; I don't have the sand to ask that they hire more staff to reward my frugality and make my bargain hunting more convenient. PG, Allison, Vincenzo, et al are doing us a great favor on the margins. The only way to improve the customer experience would be have us buy our shoes the way everyone else does--which is of course an option available to any off us.

Pastor

Reaction score

I can understand the frustration above, but we ought to keep this in perspective. If you encountered a hastle while purchasing shoes at full or sale price in an AE store or over the internet, I would say that your indignation was justified. What we're dealing with here, however, is a series of ad hoc arrangements in which (a) the CEO has assigned some woman responsibility for handling our outrageous MTO requests at unbelievable prices and (b) sales reps at the shoebanks send us inventory lists and ship shoes (with no shipping fee) when they're not dealing with flesh-and-blood customers. Amateur hour? Charity hour is more like it. AE's profit margins on customers like me (who take full advantages of 2nds, military discounts, and clearance prices) are already slim; I don't have the sand to ask that they hire more staff to reward my frugality and make my bargain hunting more convenient. PG, Allison, Vincenzo, et al are doing us a great favor on the margins. The only way to improve the customer experience would be have us buy our shoes the way everyone else does--which is of course an option available to any off us.

I too think the "amateur hour" remark was a little much.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Charity hour? Not for me. I'm talking about my orders which are $650 dollar shell shoes. I'm not talking 2nds, military, or clearance. I'm not trying to pull a fast one on them with boots that are clearance priced (which AE just caught onto). There's nothing charity about me buying MTO $650 shoes and expecting an email response within a week. Is it nice that they waive the MTO fee? Yes, but it's not charity because they're still making money. In fact, AE has made a good deal of money on me as a customer. AE exists because of its customers... it's time to stop the apologies (at least from those of us who pay full price). And Pastor, I stand by the "amateur hour" remark... a week to answer an email is just that.

Last edited:

Pastor

Reaction score

Charity hour? Not for me. I'm talking about my orders which are $650 dollar shell shoes. I'm not talking 2nds, military, or clearance. I'm not trying to pull a fast one on them with boots that are clearance priced (which AE just caught onto). There's nothing charity about me buying $650 shoes and expecting an email response within a week. AE has made a ****-TON of money on me as a customer. AE exists because of its customers... it's time to stop the apologies (at least from those of us who pay full price). And Pastor, I stand by the "amateur hour" remark... a week to answer an email is just that.

I seriously would just call. I'm not apologizing for Allison but I had a completely different experience when I did my shell MTO with her. There was nothing "amateur" about the process when I went through it.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My new navy Strandmoks arrived today from the clearance sale. Not sure I'll be keeping them. These are my first unstructured AEs and while they fit great and are comfortable, they almost appear cheap. I might be off base on this though.

Also, I think I tried on damn near every color pants I have in my closet. Stone, light blue, gray, burgandy, khaki, and I'm not wowed by any of the combinations. My wife thinks the light blue look the best, I think the stone chino does. I did these try-ons in the evening, I'm going to do it again in the day light and see if there is any difference.

I've been wanting some blue suede shoes for a while, unfortunately I'm not sure these are them. I could send them back and put the $200 towards some Rush Streets.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated, especially on color combos.

Navy Spiaggias are back in the clearance section. I have a pair and love it. The navy is lighter than the Strandmoks, and so a little more palatable. It works with light jeans, khakis, whites or creams, also maroon pants, light linens, etc.

Of course, you could always MTO a blue regular Strand in a lighter navy if you likd the structure of the lining...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads