• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all the advices re the Saunders sizing. I am going to hold off (for now :)) despite the very attractive price of $129.

drcharlie

Reaction score
My Brooks Brothers Park Ave's in Brown just came in today from the bank. I thoroughly reviewed them to look for any defects and I simply cannot find anything. I know PAs sometimes get lambasted for being too conservative or not interesting enough, but these shoes are remarkably elegant in person, especially in this color. I couldn't be more thrilled for the 149$ I paid.

I have been happy with my Brooks Brothers shoes too (Park Avenue, Strand, MacNeil). On my Park Avenues there were some minor defects but on my Strands (black, brown, and walnut) and MacNeils I did not find a defect (although I am not an expert on shoes). Pretty amazing deal!

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks to all the advices re the Saunders sizing. I am going to hold off (for now :)) despite the very attractive price of $129.

At that price isn't it worth getting them and returning if they aren't 100%? They look great, I wish they had my size!

Last edited:

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At that price isn't it worth getting them and returning if they aren't 100%? They look great, I wish they had my size!

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Red Wing Beckman in chesnut from Amazon with their 20% off promo yesterday. Also made a payment to a rental villa in Barbados for my upcoming vacation just today.

Plus for the life of me, I simply couldn't see how I could pair a pair tan chukka with anything I currently have.

Those are my excuses and I am sticking to them. :)

Last edited:

Rene_Lahm

Reaction score
Quick question, I'm assuming I know the answer to this, but just wanted to clarify. When you place an order on AE.com and preorder a shoe that will be made in 8 weeks or so, is your credit card charged instantly, or when the shoe itself is ready to be shipped? I'm assuming that you get charged immediately.

AIK1891

Reaction score

Quick question, I'm assuming I know the answer to this, but just wanted to clarify. When you place an order on AE.com and preorder a shoe that will be made in 8 weeks or so, is your credit card charged instantly, or when the shoe itself is ready to be shipped? I'm assuming that you get charged immediately.

The orders on clearance items I placed today were both future deliveries, and it looks like an authorization for an amount was made, but, and if I recall correctly from previous such situations, while the initial authorization is made at the time of order, the actual clearing payment transaction goes through on each actual shipment (so, e.g., I've had one order of two pairs, one ships/charges at 3 weeks and the other ships/charges at 5 weeks).

Rene_Lahm

Reaction score

The orders on clearance items I placed today were both future deliveries, and it looks like an authorization for an amount was made, but, and if I recall correctly from previous such situations, while the initial authorization is made at the time of order, the actual clearing payment transaction goes through on each actual shipment (so, e.g., I've had one order of two pairs, one ships/charges at 3 weeks and the other ships/charges at 5 weeks).

Thanks for this. I'm considering grabbing a pair of Amoks on clearance, but given I purchased a pair of Black Hills earlier this week, I'd rather it go through when it ships.

chen04

Reaction score
Okay everyone. My AE 2nds Leeds in Burgundy Cordovan came in today. They look great, but this is my first pair of cordovans so I have no idea how they should look. As you can see, one of the shoes has scuffs on the toe and some light scuffs around the shoe. Are these keepers? Also, what would be the best care to make these shiny? I have Venetian shoe cream as well as the burgundy caranuba polish from AE. Cheers!

Mean Mr Mustard

Reaction score
As I hadn't formed a definitive answer from browsing/searching, I asked this along with a few other questions several pages back; maybe as of this week it could use clarification & updating:

• As of now / going forward, what is the true default rate to be expected for doing MTO?
{especially for sale items}

It certainly would help me as a new poster/long-time lurker, but maybe even some others if there is an updated policy for guidance.

I know there is a waiver for forum members of the $125 custom fee, but the only items I have in the pipeline right now are all current models so I was quoted just the current price.

But older models?
For example, seeing as how I've been impressed with the Eagle County MTOs I've seen here and I'm returning my Daltons that are too big, if I wanted to add an Eagle County of my own, I shouldn't expect to get the latest reduction at $167? But could I still get the $197 that others got? Or now would MTO be back to whatever had been the full retail when they were first sold? (I don't even remember that price[?]; I didn't like the model until I saw the customs here because I didn't like the soles they came stock with).
I placed an MTO order with Allison last week on some Promontory Points -- I didn't discuss the price with her since I assumed it would be at the discount price of $197 but I just got an invoice where they've charged $250. The original price was $350 (the Eagle County was also $350, to answer your other question). So perhaps they're not giving the clearance price but still trying to give some kind of discount. If you're wondering about older models, though, here's the original message from the AE CEO in which he says pricing will be ad hoc:

Quote:

Pastor

Reaction score

Okay everyone. My AE 2nds Leeds in Burgundy Cordovan came in today. They look great, but this is my first pair of cordovans so I have no idea how they should look. As you can see, one of the shoes has scuffs on the toe and some light scuffs around the shoe. Are these keepers? Also, what would be the best care to make these shiny? I have Venetian shoe cream as well as the burgundy caranuba polish from AE. Cheers!
Those are keepers!

chen04

Reaction score
Those are keepers!
Thanks! I remember I placed the order last week from a shoe bank, didn't receive confirmation for several days. Called back and they sold out of 9D!!! Luckily, they searched around and found a pair. I appreciate all the support from everyone on these forums as we really enjoy shoes.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been trying to do a simple MTO since January 14th. That is insane to me. It should not be this difficult. I am pretty frustrated at this point. I literally email 5 or 6 times for every 1 response I get. I have emailed 3 times saying the specs are a go and cannot get a response. I know people are busy, but 30 days for a simple CXL makeup...I am over it and moving on. AE has lost me on this one

ayoungs

Reaction score
I bought a pair of brown Jermyn's, which are a superb fit for my feet. I wasn't quick enough to get them in black before AE discontinued the line. The Manchester is made on Last 97, so should be a good fit according to SE. Does anyone own either Jermyn and Manchester, or Park Avenue and Manchester, and if so are the fits roughly comparable.

Second question: Does anyone know the AE sales cycles (trying to figure out whether Manchester likely to go on sale in next few months or just break down and pay retail).
I actually own the Manchester because of the Jermyn fit! I tried a 14D in the Jermyn at first not quite a year ago, it was too tight and many wears didn't break in, and thankfully after talking to Allison enough, she agreed to take them back.
I eventually got a 14E that fit beautifully. I've gotten the Adams, the Manchester and the Jermyn all on the 7 last and fit nicely. Each has a slightly different feel. I also have a couple pairs of shoes on the 5 last also in 14E that seem to fit nicely (Cambridges and Jeffersons). I've found for me that 14E hits the spot in all the last thus far. The 511 (1 last) Wilberts and Bradleys are fine as well in 14E. I don't have the half sizing option due to my large size, so I can't speak to going up or down 1/2 size.
Hope that helps!

ayoungs

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads