• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBear

Reaction score

You will need a brush and polishing clothe for each color you own. Considering you won't be using any polish on the aberdeen or neumoks, only Leather Lotion, you can use one polishing clothe for both shoes (a color on each side). If you are using wax, then yes you will need a dauber. If you use AEs polish, it already comes in a tube with sponge applicator. Shell, from what you will read on the forum only needs a damp clothe and a brush… maybe polish if there is a scratch that needs to be filled.

Many people will recommend Saphire products over AEs', I have only used AEs' and am not familiar with how much better Saphire really is.

Now that I've quickly gone from having never heard of AE, to owning 5 pairs...I was wondering if I could get some input on what shoe care products I should pick up. I don't own anything at this moment, so I figure I should pick up at least 2 horse hair brushes. How about daubers? What do those do that the brushes don't?  

For my lineup what polishes/creams would you recommend? I see there is premium polish and carnuba wax polish. Which should I go with for my shoes? What should I get for the walnut cordovan?

So I guess my questions is, with the shoe lineup below, what shoe care kit would you put together?  

Black & Walnut Strands 
Grey Aberdeens 
Walnut Shell Cordovan Daltons
Navy Blue Neumoks

Thanks so much! 

I also use AE products. I do use the AE grey polish on my grey Black Hills. You can see the AE recommended products for each shoe on the 'care' tab of respective models. Also, watch the videos on the AE site for each leather type (and the brushes/cloths/dauber they use).

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone had a problem with unusually thin cordovan shell? I hadn't really noticed this until after a few wears, but the left part of the upper of the right shoe is much lighter in color and much thinner than the leather elsewhere in the pair. The difference in color is not discernible in the photo below, but you can see the creasing emanating from the top two eyelets and another crease (with light reflecting from it) running toward the bottom eyelet. Of course all of this is invisible when I'm wearing the shoes, but my primary concern is the thinness of the leather. Unlike the rest of the shoe, it feels quite thin, and I can't imagine it coming from a standard Horween shell. These are seconds, and I am now guessing that this is the reason why. Do I need to worry about durability?
If the shoe doesn't fit perfectly (as many don't), you'll see creasing in that area regardless of shell thickness. It may not even be thinner. It just means that is how the shoe fits your foot and it creases there, most likely the shoe is a touch small for you. My right shoes often exhibit this behavior.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
I also use AE products. I do use the AE grey polish on my grey Black Hills. You can see the AE recommended products for each shoe on the 'care' tab of respective models. Also, watch the videos on the AE site for each leather type (and the brushes/cloths/dauber they use).

Ok, this is what I have in my shopping cart:

- 2 horse hair brushes
- Black premium shoe polish
- Walnut premium shoe polish
- Saddle soap
- Conditioner/Cleaner

Comes out to about $40 shipped. Anything else I should add?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Current AE Rotation:

So... I'm guessing it's not overkill to own chocolate and walnut daltons? Maybe I'll get a pair of the chocolate long branches at some point! Do you find yourself wearing both colors? I'm guessing there's some overlap with what you could wear them with right? Do you find that one wouldn't fit where the other does?

Also, what are those chukkas? They look amazing!

Side note, you have two of each shoe in captoe and wingtip as well as in light and dark brown, correct?

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, would you pick up a pair of Jefferson first quality or shell Mcallisters in second quality considering they are the same price. My birthday is coming up and my girlfriend is allowing me to pick my own gift :)  Also in the mix is a pair of first quality Rutledge, but is this too dressy to pair with chinos?

Since they are all closed laced/Balmoral shoes I think they would be too formal for casual chinos. I'd look at either the Williams or Macneils in shell. Also the McAllister in shell is called the Cambridge. Not sure why they are differentiated.

Either way, lucky you to have a girlfriend nice enough to support your desire for quality shoes :)

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- 2 horse hair brushes
- Saddle soap
- Conditioner/Cleaner

I prefer using one brush for each family of colors as well as a separate for my shell cordovan as I don't like my cordovan brushes to have product residue on them.

I also highly recommend a neutral wax polish if you ever want a higher level shine than what the premium polish can give you.

DHD28

Reaction score
Being primarily an Oxford guy, I think I'll be making my first Double monkstrap purchase very soon. The Mora 2.0 in Brown. Never thought I'd say this.

pomofo

Reaction score
How do the Long Branch boots fit? I have 10.5 E in Strand, and an 11D in Fifth Ave.

I wear 12D/E and 11.5E in the 5-last shoes, and 11.5E in the Dalton. Shoe Bank suggested I try 11EEE in the Long Branch, and they fit just fine. So I would think you could do 10EEE or 10.5E in the Long Branch.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Being primarily an Oxford guy, I think I'll be making my first Double monkstrap purchase very soon. The Mora 2.0 in Brown. Never thought I'd say this.

Welcome to the dark side. It's a strapping good time.

wohwoh

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

What are your thoughts on this seconds Larchmont? Would you keep or exchange for another pair?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

What are your thoughts on this seconds Larchmont? Would you keep or exchange for another pair?

Are you worried about the creasing?

wohwoh

Reaction score
@ridethecliche

I'm not sure what they are. They were naturally like this upon examination. It seems more like "ripples" in the leather when I touch it. If they're normal then I will keep it. I just wasn't sure because my right shoe doesn't have that.

cincikid

Reaction score

- 2 horse hair brushes
- Saddle soap
- Conditioner/Cleaner

Leather lotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads