• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

noinimod

Reaction score
So i think i read all of the posts here and wherever else i could, about the bowing/top line bulge that many have. Did anyone manage to get the problem fixed by changing their size?

Some say it is a problem of the foot not having enough volume, allowing excess leather to bulge out there. But i'm wondering if it can be due to a high volume foot. On my strands, it seems like my right foot has too much volume / shoe has too little volume.

These strands in 7.5E actually feel abit more cramped, width-wise compared to my clifton (#8 last) in 8D. Pretty wise i'm supposed to be a 7.5 length

Not sure if i should change them for a 7.5EE to see if the bowing problem will be resolved? Gentlemen, your thoughts please?

DNSamurai

Reaction score
Now that I've quickly gone from having never heard of AE, to owning 5 pairs...I was wondering if I could get some input on what shoe care products I should pick up. I don't own anything at this moment, so I figure I should pick up at least 2 horse hair brushes. How about daubers? What do those do that the brushes don't?

For my lineup what polishes/creams would you recommend? I see there is premium polish and carnuba wax polish. Which should I go with for my shoes? What should I get for the walnut cordovan?

So I guess my questions is, with the shoe lineup below, what shoe care kit would you put together?

Black & Walnut Strands
Grey Aberdeens
Walnut Shell Cordovan Daltons
Navy Blue Neumoks

Thanks so much!

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Now that I've quickly gone from having never heard of AE, to owning 5 pairs...I was wondering if I could get some input on what shoe care products I should pick up. I don't own anything at this moment, so I figure I should pick up at least 2 horse hair brushes. How about daubers? What do those do that the brushes don't?

For my lineup what polishes/creams would you recommend? I see there is premium polish and carnuba wax polish. Which should I go with for my shoes? What should I get for the walnut cordovan?

So I guess my questions is, with the shoe lineup below, what shoe care kit would you put together?

Black & Walnut Strands
Grey Aberdeens
Walnut Shell Cordovan Daltons
Navy Blue Neumoks

Thanks so much!

You will need a brush and polishing clothe for each color you own. Considering you won't be using any polish on the aberdeen or neumoks, only Leather Lotion, you can use one polishing clothe for both shoes (a color on each side). If you are using wax, then yes you will need a dauber. If you use AEs polish, it already comes in a tube with sponge applicator. Shell, from what you will read on the forum only needs a damp clothe and a brush… maybe polish if there is a scratch that needs to be filled.

Many people will recommend Saphire products over AEs', I have only used AEs' and am not familiar with how much better Saphire really is.

delmar

Reaction score
I just stumbled across a couple unreleased shoes from the Independence line. What do you all think? I added a little info on the namesake of each shoe to understand who they were.

The Braxton - Carter Braxton was a signer of the Declaration that loaned a great deal of $ to support the revolution, and also lost a bunch of $ in privateering. He lost all his wealth, and never recovered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-U...0888890?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item43c06897ba

The Gwinnet - Button Gwinnet was the 2nd signer of the Declaration of Independence after John Hancock. Gwinnet signed on the far left, while Hancock signed right smack dab in the middle and large.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-U...2834480?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item43bfedb130

There also appears to be the Rush, named for Benjamin Rush. Ben Franklin and John Adams were critical of the attractive, handsome, well-spoken gentleman Rush. The felt he gossiped to much and his extreme confidence came across as arrogance.

I would go for a pair of those Braxtons if they ever went into production. Big shiny buckles and ultra-soft lambskin lining--that would be an awesome shoe.

pomofo

Reaction score
Question, has any one heard of the Allen Edmonds Moore? Google doesn't seem to bring anything up, the stock number is 2137 for Walnut calf.

Did anyone ever figure this out? I just saw the same model in a stock list from the Shoe Bank and Google brings up only this thread, nothing more.

stgrim

Reaction score
I just stumbled across a couple unreleased shoes from the Independence line. What do you all think? I added a little info on the namesake of each shoe to understand who they were.

The Braxton - Carter Braxton was a signer of the Declaration that loaned a great deal of $ to support the revolution, and also lost a bunch of $ in privateering. He lost all his wealth, and never recovered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-U...0888890?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item43c06897ba

The Gwinnet - Button Gwinnet was the 2nd signer of the Declaration of Independence after John Hancock. Gwinnet signed on the far left, while Hancock signed right smack dab in the middle and large.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-U...2834480?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item43bfedb130

There also appears to be the Rush, named for Benjamin Rush. Ben Franklin and John Adams were critical of the attractive, handsome, well-spoken gentleman Rush. The felt he gossiped to much and his extreme confidence came across as arrogance.

Speaking of which I actually have a pair of Allen Edmonds Independence Rush on sale! Haha, shameless plug.

WICaniac

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with unusually thin cordovan shell? I hadn't really noticed this until after a few wears, but the left part of the upper of the right shoe is much lighter in color and much thinner than the leather elsewhere in the pair. The difference in color is not discernible in the photo below, but you can see the creasing emanating from the top two eyelets and another crease (with light reflecting from it) running toward the bottom eyelet. Of course all of this is invisible when I'm wearing the shoes, but my primary concern is the thinness of the leather. Unlike the rest of the shoe, it feels quite thin, and I can't imagine it coming from a standard Horween shell. These are seconds, and I am now guessing that this is the reason why. Do I need to worry about durability?

rpearlberg

Reaction score
How do the Long Branch boots fit? I have 10.5 E in Strand, and an 11D in Fifth Ave.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BeraQueezy,

How long did it take you to accumulate all 14 pairs? Great stuff

meowmix1891

Reaction score
Hey guys, would you pick up a pair of Jefferson first quality or shell Mcallisters in second quality considering they are the same price. My birthday is coming up and my girlfriend is allowing me to pick my own gift
smile.gif
Also in the mix is a pair of first quality Rutledge, but is this too dressy to pair with chinos?

Last edited:

trueimage

Reaction score
Some heel slippage will be reduced once the sole breaks in. The only way you can judge whether yours will is to assure that the shoe fits properly (most importantly, that the ball of the foot is at the widest part of the shoe; also important for slippage is that the heel isn't way to wide).

Your salesman could be right. On the other hand, I had a salesman at one AE store tell me the same thing. The heel slippage never stopped, and once I learned to discern whether shoes fit for myself, it's obvious that the shoe is way too long. I thus have a nice pair of Strands that I can't wear. So be careful, and make sure the shoe fits before it becomes unreturnable.

These are Strands, and I'm already at EEE width. If I go down 1/2 size, the shoe is too tight through the arch. But I do feel that if I push my foot slightly forward, it "fits" better. Is that something a thin insole would fix?

Tongue pad would serve better. If EE is too tight and EEE is not locking your instep in place/heel cup too wide, then 5 last probably isn't a good one for you. It's already known to be a low instep last.

If the shoe feels better with his foot pushed slightly forward, the problem is likely that it is too long in the sense that the ball of his foot is behind the widest part of the shoe. If that's the case, a tongue pad will only ensure that the ball of his foot never actually gets where it's supposed to be, which makes taking a step feel really awkward at best. It depends, though, and I suppose trying one couldn't hurt.

I find that once I get a shoe that fits my heel to ball measurement perfectly, there's about half a size of play where I can use length to account for other factors without making the shoe unwearable. Past that, it's best to try another last.

Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify: I only tried EEE width, and tried 8 and 8.5 size. The 8 was too tight across the sides and the laces were bulging a bit. 8.5 feels great everywhere except hell slipping a bit, and feels a tiny bit better when i push my foot forward (which isn't much movement).

So based on that you think that this last doesn't fit my foot? I was in the store for over an hour and tried on several and the salesman said this one seemed to fit very well.

stgrim

Reaction score
I plan to MTO the most comfortable yet elegant all-weather loafer AE has ever produced, what do you think of the following options:

Patriot in Brown Shell Cordovan with Independence collection lambskin lining, Poron insole, Danite outsole and a flat welt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads