• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to order the last pair of burgundy nathans in 10.5 but they were gone.

The Jos A Bank models are a total steal at seconds pricing. The Nathan was $129, I remember they were offering the boardroom at the same price for the memorial sale, I believe.

Oh wow. That is a steal. I may have to step up and snag a pair of them at that price! Please do post pictures when you get them if you don't mind.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK,

So I'm not usually that picky about shoes, but I'm wondering about this one. Should this crease bother me? I'm not sure if it's a crease or fold, or what. Since they're my new custom MacNeils, I'm just being cautious. I didn't see it before I wore them today for the first time. I compared that section to my burgundy shell MacNeils to see if it's just the fact that it's shell or if it's what I do to MacNeils in general. What do you think?
So I took the advice and asked Debbie about it. She told me that it was a production flaw and asked me to send them back. They are making me another pair. Excellent customer service!

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haven't heard anything from AE yet about the burgundy shell Macneils I ordered on April 23. My checking account is just fine with that, but I'm itching to get them in the rotation.
That seems strange considering orders placed after that timeframe have shipped. Have you reached out to ask for a status update?

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the rate of shoes getting ruined or turning into seconds during production is? I just got word that my MacNeil spectators (the last webgem) were ruined during production and they're making me a new pair. Add that to the two pairs of cappuccino shell McAllisters, my sharkskin Sheltons that had a golf sole put on them instead of the normal sole, and my walnut shell MacNeils. All in the past three months. AE has fixed it on every occasion, but it still makes me wonder.

bruinfan

Reaction score
This is definitely the first thing that should be done when a bump is felt under the insole. There is very little that can cause bumps under there, since there isn't anything present except the plyrib gemming, some stitching, and cork. It is possible that the bump can come from the placement of the plyrib (if it isn't properly placed towards the perimeter of the insole). However, wearing the shoes indoors for a while to see if the cork is the culprit is easy to do, and generally solves the problem.

Thanks for the reply! So by walking 15 minutes indoors the cork bump should disappear that quickly? I feel a small bump in the right shoe, but its just more pronounced in the left. Assuming it is just the cork then it'll just eventually even out as they get broken in?

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That seems strange considering orders placed after that timeframe have shipped. Have you reached out to ask for a status update?

Not yet. I have an email from Allison at AE Customer Service from April 26 confirming that "...the footwear will be completed within 8 weeks and we will call to get your payment information at that time" -- I have nothing else in writing and tomorrow makes exactly eight weeks, so I'll wait another day before checking in. Just anxious and excited. :)

carlos20co

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! So by walking 15 minutes indoors the cork bump should disappear that quickly? I feel a small bump in the right shoe, but its just more pronounced in the left. Assuming it is just the cork then it'll just eventually even out as they get broken in?
Hi, I had the same problem with my Mcallisters when I first wore them. I don't think it will take 15 minutes, but after a couple of weeks the bump disappears as the cork is molds to your foot. I have no problem with my shoes anymore.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't assign a specific time frame to it. Tietherope said above that it took his about 15 minutes, but I am quite certain that this will vary depending on the person. I'd just wear them indoors during the "normal" break-in period to assess fit and comfort (which for me is a couple of hours per day for several days walking indoors). If you feel that they aren't getting better during that time frame, return them. When I get a new pair, I put them on in the evenings when I get home from work and just wear them around the house for the evening. I do this for up to a week, which may be overkill, but it definitely gets the soles flexible to the point that they don't accumulate excessive toe wear when they start hitting the pavement. Personally, I would reserve judgement until I was ready to cross the point of no return (which is when you start wearing them outdoors, whenever that may be).

MrWN

Reaction score
I have purchased three pairs of AE shoes from Nordstrom brick and mortar shoe shop. They have never offered me a shoe shine. I find this information very disturbing. It's as though Nordstrom is discriminating against me. I don't think can shop there any more.
I also like bacon. A lot.

It feels like their customer service within their store is quite lacking compared to their internet customer service department. Maybe it's just the location I go to in Southern California.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

It feels like their customer service within their store is quite lacking compared to their internet customer service department. Maybe it's just the location I go to in Southern California.

I find that customer service tends to be lacking her in SoCal in general.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

A good day for Highway 1's with Argyle OTCs.

Kave

Reaction score
Hi, I had the same problem with my Mcallisters when I first wore them. I don't think it will take 15 minutes, but after a couple of weeks the bump disappears as the cork is molds to your foot. I have no problem with my shoes anymore.

I have had the same problem with two pairs, after a few wears it has gotten much better. It is no longer an issue that concerns me.

tietherope

Reaction score
Harrison vs Rutledge in walnut? Which one do you prefer? I can't decide
Although formality may not be a deciding factor due to the choice of walnut, I see this in the same way as the Park and Fifth Avenue comparison. The PA and Harrison being more formal with a simple cap toe and the FA/Rutledge being slightly less formal. I personally prefer the added detail on the Rutledge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads