• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here you go...

http://www.allenedmonds.com/accesso...2197-20#srule=price-low-to-high&sz=18&start=7
Ummm.... Her name's not Hillary, is it?
crackup[1].gif

I almost posted the same thing.

One of the best things about this forum is that we can all put aside all the politics stuff to focus on our obsession for shoes. It's a nice escape from the election years.

fiddlestyx

Reaction score
Felt like a nice fall day today so I broke out the Long Branches for the season. Did a lot of working around town today for work and it didn't take long to remember how comfortable they were.

JLC2

Reaction score

@JLC2: Wear the Neumoks, pack the Strands. One pair of trees, to be in whatever shoes you wore that day. You can use lightweight/plastic trees if you don't want to bring cedar.

That's what I was thinking too. But, the forecast shows rain for 2 days....hence the HM nod

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:( Well, crap.  I really like the color of the right shoe (the one on the left).  It kind of reminds of me Orange Fury's strands.

You might be able to lighten them a little, depending on how much finish they put on top. I agree that it would be easier to darken the one. But if you really want the lighter color, give it a try. If it doesn't work, you've still got Plan B.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@JLC2: Wear the Neumoks, pack the Strands. One pair of trees, to be in whatever shoes you wore that day. You can use lightweight/plastic trees if you don't want to bring cedar.

In the case of plastic trees, are you really any better off than stuffing socks in there? (serious question)

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over my lunch break, I looked at the ShoeBank's inventory in size 9D, to browse potential birthday presents for a friend of mine. As someone who wears a very unusual size, I was blown away by the number and variety of styles available in more normal sizes; I had assumed that, the more popular the size, the more picked over the inventory would be. Black pebble grain McNeils, chili MacGregors, snuff suede Gobis, brown McGraws or Patriots, the merlot collection. . . one could assemble a solid rotation for five or six hundred bucks.

I suspect the reason for more shoes in the more common sizes is the distribution skews that way ( i.e. for every 1 size 8, they make 5 size 9, and 10 size 10...). If the number of shoes made in a given size is bigger and the % of failure to meet 1st's criteria is the same, then more seconds.

Also, some styles just are made in limited widths, there will be zero of that style on ShoeBank no matter what. You'll never find a listing for a C or E width Sea Island.

Last edited:

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any chance in hell the left shoe could be lightened using conditioner / cleaner? It's a shame these are such a mis-match in color.
My first AE is a pair of Chili Byron that I picked up as NOS from eBay. The color was slightly off between the left and right. I have worn it many times and have used the same color cream to polish them, but the color hasn't changed a bit. Mine are wearable and the difference is much more subtle than these Strands. Keep in mind that bourbon is very tricky. With aggressive treatment, you may actually mess it up pretty good.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over my lunch break, I looked at the ShoeBank's inventory in size 9D, to browse potential birthday presents for a friend of mine. As someone who wears a very unusual size, I was blown away by the number and variety of styles available in more normal sizes; I had assumed that, the more popular the size, the more picked over the inventory would be. Black pebble grain McNeils, chili MacGregors, snuff suede Gobis, brown McGraws or Patriots, the merlot collection. . . one could assemble a solid rotation for five or six hundred bucks.
I think I remember that 9D is the size that AE sends to all their stores as "samples". That is, a store is sure to stock a 9d over all the other sizes. Esp. when a new model comes out. You go into the store and ask, "Can I see the new Alumnus in 12E?" They don't have that in stock, of course, but they'll let you oogle over their Alumnus in 9D.

Maybe it's the size that's most aesthetically pleasing; not too big and not too small (goldilocks!). Eventually, all those 9Ds go back to the shoebank.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did anyone else see this story about the recommended slaughter of 45,000 wild horses?
http://thedo.do/2cHSQfj

What would they do with that many horses?
It seems like a waste. Would they at least process the meat and leather?

The piece said that many of the horses will end up in the slaughter pipeline. I believe that means the meat will be processed for pet food.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys handle shoes and travel?

I'm new to proper shoes, but not to travel.

Here's my dilemma, I finally have my starter-set of AE's and am about to spend a week away at a conference and in meetings. In the past, I would have tried to wear one pair and pack another that goes with a bunch of outfits.

Now, I'd like to not wear a good pair too many days in a row, and I'd also like to be out in my new shoes.

I won't be wearing any suits. It will be chinos and jeans with shirts most of the time, a few meetings will call for a sportcoat.

I can make a case for the navy neumok, the natty HM, and the walnut strands. But that seems like a lot of shoes...

It's a 5 hour direct flight.

My usual flying shoes are a pair of vans or some Clarks driving mocossins.

Any suggestions?

The boots might be a bit much for a long-ish flight, but also large to pack.

Do you guys bring trees for each pair?

I wear one pair and pack one (I'm wearing my McTs today and the Academys are in my bag). I take the trees out of the pair that has been resting the night before (when I take my shoes off from a day of wear). I travel with a 6" brush. For what youv'e got, I'd take the Neumoks and the Strands for versatility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads