• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skelnik

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but it does seem like almost every 2.0 shoe is inferior to the original in some way. Having owned both Leeds, I can say the original is better. Also, 2.0 seems to also mean that profila binding is now being used.

Agreed

danwatts2005

Reaction score
Great minds think alike. Of course, so do small minds. I'm not sure where we fall on the spectrum, so I'll just leave it as, FBW minds think alike.

Love these shoes. Just wish I'd realized how large they run before they were out of them in my true size. Not quite cool enough for the thicker socks that fill them out more.

74ba0ef2a8bc2c6205055ba1a59fd35d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You guys are making me wish I had snapped a pic yesterday.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing khaki (grain) McTavishes today........

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are those from ShoeBank?  They look like my "Mistake McTs" (Cognac that is really antiqued tan) that I'm wearing on McTavish Tuesday

No they were purchased at a retail store. The color is a bit washed out - bad cell phone pic.

Chris

Skelnik

Reaction score
I just saw the shoes I sent into Allen Edmonds for structural issues for sale on eBay. They are a pair of black Leeds that where worn about a dozen times and the right shoe got excessively wrinkled while the left shoe wore in normally. I contacted Allen Edmonds customer service who asked for photos and then later requested that I send them to the Quality Assurance group for inspection. After receiving the shoes I was contacted by a representative who explained that the right shoe in fact had a problem that even redrafting couldn't fix. It had been made with "soft" leather. Since they no longer sold Leeds 1.0 they offered me a credit to use toward anything I wanted. I was very happy with their customer service. The entire process was easy and they stood behind their product.

Strongly though I just came across my former pair of shoes today on eBay, almost 3 months later (along with the added "No Warranty" stamping).

Not a big revelation or anything, but I thought it was interesting enough to share.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That happened to me too. The first build of my blue suede MacAllisters had cement failure between the welt and Vibram gumlight sole. I sent it in and they remade it for me with a cream midsole (improved the look considerably!)

A few months later I found my originals on eBay by this same seller, but with no mention of the fact that the sole was peeling off.

Skelnik

Reaction score
That happened to me too. The first build of my blue suede MacAllisters had cement failure between the welt and Vibram gumlight sole. I sent it in and they remade it for me with a cream midsole (improved the look considerably!)

A few months later I found my originals on eBay by this same seller, but with no mention of the fact that the sole was peeling off.

I always wondered where they came from, but now I know. It's no wonder why they stamp them with "no warranty". It's not necessarily about restricting them form being returned to a store, but rather from free replacements for structural issues.

RitchieBro

Reaction score

Picked up a pair of merlot Hopkinsons and a pair of burgundy shell Park Aves. Both very nice, but don't think I can justify owning two "red" cap toe oxfords.
Help me decide which our to keep (or convince me to keep both). Here are pics:

Edit - sorry for the poor quality cell phone pics.

Definitely the shell Parks!

Skelnik

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of merlot Hopkinsons and a pair of burgundy shell Park Aves. Both very nice, but don't think I can justify owning two "red" cap toe oxfords.

Keep the shell Parks Aves

Southwick

Reaction score
Good afternoon, gentlemen. A brief and somewhat off topic question: I just received a catalog from some outfit named Samuel-Windsor. Never heard of them. The catalog says their shoes and clothing are "designed" in GB, but make moment ion of where they are made. The prices seemed unrealistically low. What can anyone tell me about these guys, especially the place of manufacture?

Southwick

Reaction score

Good afternoon, gentlemen. A brief and somewhat off topic question: I just received a catalog from some outfit named Samuel-Windsor. Never heard of them. The catalog says their shoes and clothing are "designed" in GB, but make moment ion of where they are made. The prices seemed unrealistically low. What can anyone tell me about these guys, especially the place of manufacture?

EDIT: make moment ion should say makes no mention. Sorry about that.

Vitals

Reaction score

One more vote on keeping the Shell PA's.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Over my lunch break, I looked at the ShoeBank's inventory in size 9D, to browse potential birthday presents for a friend of mine. As someone who wears a very unusual size, I was blown away by the number and variety of styles available in more normal sizes; I had assumed that, the more popular the size, the more picked over the inventory would be. Black pebble grain McNeils, chili MacGregors, snuff suede Gobis, brown McGraws or Patriots, the merlot collection. . . one could assemble a solid rotation for five or six hundred bucks.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over my lunch break, I looked at the ShoeBank's inventory in size 9D, to browse potential birthday presents for a friend of mine. As someone who wears a very unusual size, I was blown away by the number and variety of styles available in more normal sizes; I had assumed that, the more popular the size, the more picked over the inventory would be. Black pebble grain McNeils, chili MacGregors, snuff suede Gobis, brown McGraws or Patriots, the merlot collection. . . one could assemble a solid rotation for five or six hundred bucks.
Yeah, it's night and day between the 8 D inventory and 7.5 E inventory. I often search the 65 lasted shoes in 7.5 E, but they are slim pickin's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads