• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that they started on this path after much of the revamp was geared towards a higher market line around C&J HG. I wonder if the sales didn't meet expectations. The same can be seen with Cheaney and their Imperial line. When it first came out, there were numerous model but now I think there are down to 4 or so.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair "cordwainer" is a pretty esoteric term.

Per the "exclusive" comment I'm not sure what specs J. Crew has requested. The colors or materials or lasts may have changed. Doesn't appear that there are any major changes to anything, but plenty of companies make one small tweak here or there and all of a sudden it's something "exclusive."

Probably right b/c it looks like an inferior sole treatment compared to the Exclusive line. More like the old Premier grade shoes.

Looking at the photos, have to agree, it has a lower heel, standard flat sole with aloft stitching, definitely Premier grade shoes.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First day at school.

Progress report

5 hours later have broken in beautifully and so comfortable on day one.

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I owe my shoe love to Alfred Sargent and a pleasant experience of online purchasing from Pediwear, since 7 of the 14 pairs that I wear are Alfred Sargents, shameless cross post to this thread, where I did my first post to SF as well. :slayer:

Yowzer

Reaction score
First day at school.

Progress report

5 hours later have broken in beautifully and so comfortable on day one.
Well done! Mine are breaking in good as well, heel slip is becoming less of an issue after 3 full-day wears. Very pleased... the squeak reappeared at the end of the last wear however... time for more conditioning I think.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Day 2 after a cutback on the left toecap and use of oxblood Collonil Diamond crème followed by Angelus Mahogany wax.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I owe my shoe love to Alfred Sargent and a pleasant experience of online purchasing from Pediwear, since 7 of the 14 pairs that I wear are Alfred Sargents, shameless cross post to this thread, where I did my first post to SF as well. :slayer:

Great variety! No high boots? Really thinking of cutting back my smart shoes as I don't get to wear them as often as I'd like.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I owe my shoe love to Alfred Sargent and a pleasant experience of online purchasing from Pediwear, since 7 of the 14 pairs that I wear are Alfred Sargents, shameless cross post to this thread, where I did my first post to SF as well.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Very nice.

I'm surprised you have so many in black.

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black is definitely underrated. My fiance likes the fancy colors of my EGs and Aldens but she always favors my black footwear.

greasymonkey

Reaction score
i think is not underrated but black just seems to work better for business environment; whilst brown,chestnut, burgundy and other colours cuts across with more versatility and not too formal.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great variety! No high boots? Really thinking of cutting back my smart shoes as I don't get to wear them as often as I'd like.

I am the opposite, I wear dress shoes during the working week, and there is no time to wear boots. we have a short winter in Sydney, and I only got to wear my chukkas about 4 times this year, and don't see myself wearing it for some time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads