• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

ElementHU

Reaction score

2 pairs of boots, and one pair of shoes, but only one Last.
It's an awesome last. I envy your Millers and wish I had jumped in on that, but I was still green about MTO at the time. I need some Moores in my life.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an awesome last. I envy your Millers and wish I had jumped in on that, but I was still green about MTO at the time. I need some Moores in my life.
Thank you sir.

You really should get Moore.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are the Millers working out for you? Awesome aren't they?
I have yet to wear them except to try them on in the house, the weather here is still quite warm.

However they are awesome looking boots, and should come in real handy in a couple of months.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, you should get more shoes.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Thank you sir.

I'm in the process of doing that very thing, although none of my current MTO's are Alfred Sargent.

Last edited:

Yowzer

Reaction score
smile.gif
great shoes... but go slow, your wallet will thank you... happy wearing!

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Last edited:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Family-owned UK cobbler Alfred Sargent has been making shoes in the traditional English manner since 1899—that's four generations if you're counting. Our design team worked hand in hand with the cobbler to create this exclusive style, crafted from genuine Italian leather. Bench-made by master craftsmen in their Northamptonshire workshop in a process that takes eight weeks per pair and involves over 200 separate steps, the shoes are finished with a genuine Goodyear welt—meaning the sole is sewn on rather than cemented, so you can have them resoled over and over again. In other words, this pair might be the last you'll ever need to buy.
Leather upper and lining.
Leather with micro rubber mid-sole.
Made in England.

J.Crew's text written by someone who neither knows shoes nor anything other than packaging. Cobbler... exclusive style (Ramsey anyone?)

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
To be fair "cordwainer" is a pretty esoteric term.

Per the "exclusive" comment I'm not sure what specs J. Crew has requested. The colors or materials or lasts may have changed. Doesn't appear that there are any major changes to anything, but plenty of companies make one small tweak here or there and all of a sudden it's something "exclusive."

The main thing that perplexes me is what regular J. Crew customer is going to spend $500+ on shoes...

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Per the "exclusive" comment I'm not sure what specs J. Crew has requested. The colors or materials or lasts may have changed. Doesn't appear that there are any major changes to anything, but plenty of companies make one small tweak here or there and all of a sudden it's something "exclusive."

The main thing that perplexes me is what regular J. Crew customer is going to spend $500+ on shoes...

Well, I had the same kind of doubt when J. Crew start carrying Alden, but looks like it has worked for them so far.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I guess I just see Alden fitting their demo and aesthetic better: more rugged designs carefully selected to compliment "signature looks." They also beat the "Made in America" drum at every turn. With AS, though, you're getting a sleeker last and a decidedly British design. I could maybe see it if they had a line of expensive/higher-end suits, but seems a bit weird to buy $500 shoes for a $350 suit...

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Probably right b/c it looks like an inferior sole treatment compared to the Exclusive line. More like the old Premier grade shoes.

green garden

Reaction score
I guess I just see Alden fitting their demo and aesthetic better: more rugged designs carefully selected to compliment "signature looks." They also beat the "Made in America" drum at every turn. With AS, though, you're getting a sleeker last and a decidedly British design. I could maybe see it if they had a line of expensive/higher-end suits, but seems a bit weird to buy $500 shoes for a $350 suit...
This may be very good for AS because it gives them a very broad distribution in the US market. I remember seeing a couple of interview where Alden executives (can't remember the names) give credit to their partnership with JCrew for the explosion of interest in their brand. I think it's a smart move on AS's part. And yes, I think paying $500 would be a little too much since they are probably not the same as the Exclusive line. Keeping my eye on the Labor Day sale... :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads