• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for first and only sneakers.

ovlov

Reaction score
I haven't updated my casual wardrobe beyond t-shirts and chinos in over 1 years.

I don't even have a decent pair of casual shoes.

I am looking at picking up one pair of simple versatile sneakers that i can wear with plain chinos and jeans but will hopefully be
a- versatile enough to go with pretty much anything if I tart expanding my casual wardrobe; and
b- inconspicuous enough so it isn't too noticable that I only have 1 pair of shoes (is this even an issue beyond sf?)

737479_mrp_fr_l.jpg

or
661432_mrp_fr_l.jpg

or
ran_silos_12-70763.jpg

Which would be the most versatile and best suited to slim beige chinos and dark jeans?
I know the standard answer is likely 'stick to plain white' but I'm not a fan.

I originally was leaning towards the navy, though then i thought maybe they would stick out too much.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Using only one pair of shoes will get noticed, especially as the pair inevitably looks more and more worn. It's also bad for shoe and foot health.

The first two pairs above look very casual (meaning not "versatile"), and some would call the pea green ugly. The third pair might be okay.

ovlov

Reaction score
Using only one pair of shoes will get noticed, especially as the pair inevitably looks more and more worn. It's also bad for shoe and foot health.

The first two pairs above look very casual (meaning not "versatile"), and some would call the pea green ugly. The third pair might be okay.

Thanks mate, though I think you misunderstood. My purpose is to get single pair of versatile (as in goes with a wider variety of colours) casual sneakers. I have 5 pairs of dress shoes and some suede brogues to cover me for work and date night. I just need something for trips to the movies, bbqs, park, shopping etc.

RabidOrphan

Reaction score
Are white, low-tops no longer the "essential" sneakers? I thought black oxfords, brown brogues, and white low-tops are the requirements.

ovlov

Reaction score
Are white, low-tops no longer the "essential" sneakers? I thought black oxfords, brown brogues, and white low-tops are the requirements.

I think you're right but I don't trust myself with pure white so looking for alternatives.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks mate, though I think you misunderstood. My purpose is to get  single pair of versatile (as in goes with a wider variety of colours) casual sneakers. I have 5 pairs of dress shoes and some suede brogues to cover me for work and date night. I just need something for trips to the movies, bbqs, park, shopping etc.

The first type of shoe still might be a negative at movies or when shopping. To offer a better example (albeit with possibly less foot support) -> http://www.myer.com.au/shop/mystore/mens-shoes/dark-denim-mn-del-rey-sneaker-435454480

PipeNLoafers

Reaction score
I think the 'Common Projects' in a white, low-top would be a good place begin your search, failing that, the Acne Studio 'Adrian' in white or black would also be a good option.

toplel

Reaction score
Of the three posted, the 3rd pair is the only good one, sry the first two are terrible.

ovlov

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up caving to peer pressure and picking up a pair of White CP Achilles. That 3rd pair above are Rancourts and unfortunately it turned out that shipping to Aus was going to be absurdly expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads