• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3-roll-2 with an awkward button stance?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
3b, slightly softer. Obama's is fine in concept but looks like a RTW jacket that just doesn't quite fit him.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
3b, slightly softer. Obama's is fine in concept but looks like a RTW jacket that just doesn't quite fit him.

I don't particularly like either suit, but like Obama's slightly more.

I don't know why, but Biden's suit looks like it's climbing up on his neck.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-06-at-1.06.19-PM-1500x1000.png

May have just been that night, however. In other photos, it seems to sit correctly, for the most part, and shows the right amount of shirt collar.

download (1).jpeg

I still think this would look better if it were a 3r2 or a hard two. Dislike the short lapels and how much fabric takes up the middle of the body when buttoned.

kv0vl2qauxc61.jpeg
EX7krUgX0AQxGU7.jpg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see that as binding to the neck. It would be better if it rolled slightly, though.

Obama's doesn't want to stay closed on the chest.

noobanker

Reaction score
I don't particularly like either suit, but like Obama's slightly more.

I don't know why, but Biden's suit looks like it's climbing up on his neck.

View attachment 1650171

May have just been that night, however. In other photos, it seems to sit correctly, for the most part, and shows the right amount of shirt collar.

View attachment 1650169

I still think this would look better if it were a 3r2 or a hard two. Dislike the short lapels and how much fabric takes up the middle of the body when buttoned.

View attachment 1650170 View attachment 1650172

jesus these are horrible.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to this logic, shouldn’t we all just be wearing 1-button suits and sport coats at this point then? Since the bottom button is always to be left undone?

Well, if you are short, like me, that's exactly what many Savile Row tailors will do. All my bespoke pieces have 1-button. And they look great (although apologies for the crap photos)...

Photo on 2014-09-05 at 7.53 AM #5.jpg

Photo on 2014-09-09 at 8.41 AM #5.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I resuscitate this thread do you think @dieworkwear will share more great 3roll2 archive shots for us all. I feel like I need some on this cold November day.

tumblr_mbqoi7HDDH1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nstorkJWzP1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_o507ve3RGd1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_ohoa10aQCj1rf1jvro1_r1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_nsrhmv8NBM1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_mwjddpGFMa1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_mwadp2opyO1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_mmjlbwWDhm1rf1jvro1_1280.png
tumblr_nktsj19bUs1rf1jvro1_r1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_mftn26yvei1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_nb9xsyR5lT1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_mbfkj6K3jU1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg

tumblr_n8seqsG9c61rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_n2epd9Py2T1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_moq1getWkA1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_mv1wb1SIif1rf1jvro1_r1_1280.jpeg

Photo of Gary Cooper in Venice (1955). There's another photo of him from the same day, which shows this is a 3r2. But StyleForum limits the number of photos I can post, so I'm selecting the cooler shot, even though this angle obscures the button configuration.

tumblr_mgkxmgv76t1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg

Here's Tony Biddle, who George Frazier once called "the best-dressed man in America" in his Esquire essay "The Art of Wearing Clothes." IMO, it's the best essay ever written about classic men's style.

tumblr_msbqg12Ku91rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg

And finally, two for @Bromley

To Sir With Love.jpg
tumblr_mvx5eaqc9b1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg

polyfusion

Reaction score
All I was hoping for here Derek, and damn there’s some nice shots .
It’s funny how an unnecessary buttonhole adds so much, but I believe it does . Hyperbolic as it may sound I can’t help but feel that configuration represents the optimism of an era.

Verve

Reaction score
Nice pics as always, Derek. I recently ordered a 3r2 3ps in a dark brown. For some unknown reason, I’m digging the brown tones and the 3r2 style. When I spoke to one industry person, I think he was able to elaborate on that unknown reason. Brown tones convey a warm, casual environment, making those in-person meetings more relaxing and inviting.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice pics as always, Derek. I recently ordered a 3r2 3ps in a dark brown. For some unknown reason, I’m digging the brown tones and the 3r2 style. When I spoke to one industry person, I think he was able to elaborate on that unknown reason. Brown tones convey a warm, casual environment, making those in-person meetings more relaxing and inviting.
Brown is very tough for a business meeting. I've done it before but it always draws attention for me. I prefer to draw subtle positive attention - not outright verbal comments such as, "oh, is brown back *in* for suits?"

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
jesus these are horrible.
Not terrible, actually. My only beef is that he buttoned the top. Makes the whole thing look too manicured.

Of course, he might have been trying to avoid the slings and arrows sent at his former boss for daring to wear such a fabric with only two buttons.

Verve

Reaction score
Brown is very tough for a business meeting. I've done it before but it always draws attention for me. I prefer to draw subtle positive attention - not outright verbal comments such as, "oh, is brown back *in* for suits?"
If I was in a meeting where others will be in suits, I see your point about the wrong type of attention with brown. However, in my meetings with clients, I’m usually the only one in a suit. Thus, my navies, greys, charcoals, and browns have never drawn the wrong type of attention.

Over the years in my work environment, I have learned to wear things that lean towards business conservative so my clients, new and old, aren’t distracted by my attire and focus on why they are there to see me… for the consultations.

BomTrady

Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but I've always assumed it's due to the type of canvas used and the technique used in pad stitching. On my Steed jackets, the area where the lapel breaks is fairly flat. It doesn't have as much "expression" or "roll." The canvas inside feels lighter and thinner (from what I can tell without opening the jacket). The lapels on my Solito jackets feel heavier and have a lot more curvature. When I asked Luigi how they do such an expressive role on the lapels, he explained it's an effect of the hand stitching, which I assume he means pad stitching.
As explained to me by Taka from Liverano, the padding is stitched onto the lapel while it's rolled so it's stays that way because it's constructed that way. I think some very expensive machines can also do it these days too, but it's mostly a product of hand tailoring.

Edit: The professional explanation given earlier by @Despos .

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giant ground sloth