• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Insoles advice?

rbrooks

Reaction score
I've had four shoes resoled by a London cobbler who came with good reputation. The quality of the new soles, the welt that was replaced, the stitching, the new heel lining are all very good. But somehow for some, mystery reason the new leather insoles just don't stay glued on. The start to peel back even on a first wearing, i.e. as you pull your foot out it becomes unglued and get progressively worse with more wearing and flaps around inside the shoe every time you take it off. This is not just on one shoe, but on four.
They have responded well and we've kept a good relationship. I sent one pair back and they tried, but it peeled back after 2 days. Then I went in person with the four pair to explain at length. Again they really responded well and understood the issue and cared. And shared it with the boss as well. The idea they tried next was to skive (shave) the leather down to make it stick up a bit less and hence less likely to catch anything. So they spent extra time and effort to try and make it work.
But to no avail. Again from the first wearing in the house and also just feeling along the front edge, it is just not sticking and hence peels back.

The shoes are Alden and one Crockett and Jones. My socks are just normal thin socks. And it peels with different socks. I don't sweat any more than anyone else. I haven't had this insole peeling problem in all the decades of wearing shoes.

The cobbler didn't mentioned that any other customers have experienced this. But I suspect they might not bother to discuss or take back to cobbler and probably just accept for what it is. For me it's bothersome and I don't enjoy pushing the insole back into the shoe after every wearing.
Only thing I can think of is the batch of leather they used for the insoles or perhaps the jar of glue. But odd that it happened at different times and with knowledge in advance of the problem.

Also, to complicate matters I will be leaving the UK for Australia so I cannot long iterate and follow up with this cobbler. Furthermore I don't think there's any use it iterating as I do believe they've tried their legitimate best -- just that it doesn't work.

So, any insight into what might be causing this insole peeling? Is it really that hard to get right?

Is there a cobbler anyone can recommend in Sydney who can help? I imagine it would be to pull out the the insoles and replace, but with something that works. And how much would something like that cost?

Reaction score
Might be worth trying this. I have used it before in similar applications and it works well-only costs £4 to find out anyway.
1624995304644.png

rbrooks

Reaction score
Not sure how controllable a spray applicator for glue would be.
I suppose the "not available for delivery" is also a problem as we don't have a ScrewFix nearby and I don't drive...

At this point, I'm willing to spend a bit more from a cobbler who can rip out the old insole, clean and prep the surface areas and then attach with glue and sustained pressure throughout the surface area on my behalf.

But yeah, I'll probably try some contact glue again. Forgot to mention the cobbler gave me some of their glue to try earlier in the process -- but that didn't last either.
Hmm thinking it might be the leather of their insole rather than the glue...

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand. You're saying the actual leather insole, the bed of the shoe, is peeling off entirely?

Could it just be the top layer of the insole somehow? Is the insole not stitched to the welt?

rbrooks

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm using the wrong vocabulary? it is the piece of leather that your foot rests against. It usually extends halfway down the shoe. It covers the footbed and nails. It has the branding as well. This part is often replaced during repairs.

rbrooks

Reaction score
It's the part than you see when looking straight down into an empty shoe that says "Alden". The Alden version usually has a bit of foam embedded.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm using the wrong vocabulary? it is the piece of leather that your foot rests against. It usually extends halfway down the shoe. It covers the footbed and nails. It has the branding as well. This part is often replaced during repairs.

The insole would be the entire leather bottom of the shoe upon which your foot makes an impression. It's stitched to the welt, or should be, and therefore never moves. This gets confused with 'removable insoles', so I can see what you mean.

The part that covers the nails on the heel and extends down, but rests on top of the actual insole, is normally glued on I think. If it's coming off then it simply isn't being attached well.

rbrooks

Reaction score
It is not intended to be "removable". It is intended to replace the original manufacturer's leather part and glued so that it stays fixed.

And, yes, it isn't attaching well.

Can anyone point me to a cobbler in Sydney who could help? I'd rather not go to a chain store, e.g. Timpson's, as I've had poor experience in the past.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads