• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumn/Winter cloth weights and types for sports jackets and trousers

TeddyHanoi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been living in summer climes for pushing on 2 decades and usually wear sports jackets and trousers. I have a solid summer sports jacket collection using the following: hopsack, fresco, mesh (Holland and Sherry), linen, linen and silk blends, lightweight merino. I use full canvas and semi-lined for the jackets. For trousers I use Dormeuil excel, Fresco, tropical wool and linen. I also use RTW chinos.

I've now moved to Hanoi and am very much looking forward to building a autumn/winter clothing collection for use in Hanoi winter and for UK and Irish winters when returning home during those seasons. I wear bespoke sports jackets, bespoke trousers and sometimes RTW trousers. However, I am utterly clueless as to where to begin re winter jacketing and trousers in terms of weight and style of cloth to build the basics:

JACKETING and WEIGHT OF CLOTH:
I have no clue re most common weight. For summer I use anything between 8-10oz is ok for jackets, with slightly heavier if linen.

What are the winter equivalent weights (most common weight range)?

Do I go for Harris tweed? Donegal? What cloths are winter staples for the above climes and most importantly which is an all rounder weight that I can use indoors and outdoors (naturally if outrageously cold I'll be throwing an overcoat on - Western Europe and North Vietnam winter are the climes).

TROUSERS: Flannels get mentioned a lot on this thread and from what I can see it's basically a heavy wool/merino? What's a common weight range for winter? What is a good weight for trousers and apart from flannel are there any other cloth that is suitable? Regarding RTW I was looking at Cordings for cords and moleskins.

Any help or opinions most appreciated.

GaiusM

Reaction score
Tweed will work well in UK fall and winter. As for Harris or Donegal that is up to you. Style and weight are different, you can get both in various weights. Look at several and see which appeals to you more.
14-15 oz will probably suffice for anything not requiring an overcoat.

TeddyHanoi

Reaction score
Tweed will work well in UK fall and winter. As for Harris or Donegal that is up to you. Style and weight are different, you can get both in various weights. Look at several and see which appeals to you more.
14-15 oz will probably suffice for anything not requiring an overcoat.
Thanks for the weight recommendation. I'll be ordering from abroad without being able to handle the weight physically so to have a weight guide is very useful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads