• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual shoes, wingtips, other ideas?

bvbellomo

Reaction score
41, divorced, and almost all my coworkers are in their 20's and wear athletic shoes exclusively. I have nothing against athletic shoes, and own several pairs of running shoes which are usually caked in mud. It doesn't make sense to reserve a nice pair of running shoes for the office or wear shoes from a sport I never did (e.g. basketball shoes).

Last winter, I picked up a pair of Allen Edmunds LAX Derby Shoes. Allen Edmunds is the first and only shoe maker I've tried that I appreciate the quality enough to buy from them again, although I have limited experience with quality brands. The derby shoes are nice, especially if I am wearing a suit and tie, which is usually court against my-ex wife or funerals. But they are too formal for everyday, or a first date (very important to me) or grad school (also a group 20-somethings in athletic shoes).

I live in Ohio, and similar to running shoes, I appreciate good hiking boots, but cannot keep them clean enough to wear day to day if I actually hike in them. I lost my first pair of Allen Edmunds to salt damage, frequently deal with parking lots full of mud, salt, snow, slush, ice and deep puddles - although for short distances. I don't mind wet feet from shoes that leak, but hate sweaty feet from shoes that don't breath.

I am tempted to get a pair of wingtips, as I've heard they are less formal than bluchers or oxfords, but am worried they may still be too formal. My ex-wife never let me look at wingtips because she hated them so much, and I almost want a pair because of her. But country western has never been my music, so I want to avoid that look.

AE also has some nice boots, but I worry about hot sweaty feet.

Razing

Reaction score
I'd consider penny loafers and plain white sneakers. It's unlikely one shoe is going to cover every adventure life throws at you so don't be afraid to switch up your footwear based on the situation. In the winter you might want to go with some beater boots with commando soles, in the summer loafers or boat shoes without socks will allow your feet to cool off.

I understand you're surrounded by a lot of people younger than yourself but don't be afraid to be the person who dresses up a bit more, you're older and it's somewhat expected.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
41, divorced, and almost all my coworkers are in their 20's and wear athletic shoes exclusively. I have nothing against athletic shoes, and own several pairs of running shoes which are usually caked in mud. It doesn't make sense to reserve a nice pair of running shoes for the office or wear shoes from a sport I never did (e.g. basketball shoes).

Last winter, I picked up a pair of Allen Edmunds LAX Derby Shoes. Allen Edmunds is the first and only shoe maker I've tried that I appreciate the quality enough to buy from them again, although I have limited experience with quality brands. The derby shoes are nice, especially if I am wearing a suit and tie, which is usually court against my-ex wife or funerals. But they are too formal for everyday, or a first date (very important to me) or grad school (also a group 20-somethings in athletic shoes).

I live in Ohio, and similar to running shoes, I appreciate good hiking boots, but cannot keep them clean enough to wear day to day if I actually hike in them. I lost my first pair of Allen Edmunds to salt damage, frequently deal with parking lots full of mud, salt, snow, slush, ice and deep puddles - although for short distances. I don't mind wet feet from shoes that leak, but hate sweaty feet from shoes that don't breath.

I am tempted to get a pair of wingtips, as I've heard they are less formal than bluchers or oxfords, but am worried they may still be too formal. My ex-wife never let me look at wingtips because she hated them so much, and I almost want a pair because of her. But country western has never been my music, so I want to avoid that look.

AE also has some nice boots, but I worry about hot sweaty feet.
I personally don't find the Allen Edmonds LAX all that dressy for a first date (or daily use); you can easily pair them with dark jeans for a smart casual look. I would also recommend dropping the ex-wife comments before said first date.

Wing tips and country music? I live in Texas and don't understand this comment... don't you mean western boots? Wing tips are a classic dress style; buy them if you like them.

As far as sweaty feet, it's relative. I find true leather shoes breathe plenty well. Consider unlined for a lighter feel.

As above, I would recommend several pairs for different occasions. I wear dress shoes and loafers all summer and dress boots all winter. You prefer a more casual look, so throw in some more workwear styled items that can be a bit more multi tasking than hiking boots: Alden Indy boots, clean pair of classic sneakers (not running shoes), etc.

And, as said above don't be afraid to dress your age even if your younger coworkers don't.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your story sounds very similar - I'm also from Ohio, 40s, etc. For work, it's going to cost, but invest in some Swims over-shoes for the winter. It will save your shoes.

Now, the LAX, especially in Chili, is not a formal shoe - perfectly fine for casual dress. You want to get at least 2, preferably 3 different shoes in your rotation to start. This gives the leather time to dry out in between wearings.

I'm going to suggest getting shoes that are mid-to-dark brown & oxblood as they are going to be the most flexible for work. For casual, natural Chromexcel (CXL) is great.

For winter time, I prefer boots with a good rubber tread for casual (for work, it's dress shoes with the swims).

AE is a good choice (I think I have about 8 or 9 pairs). Just click on "Casual shoes" on their site if you want ideas. Strand Mock are a nice casual, McTavish as well and the Wilbert. But any derby makes a good casual shoe.

Rancourt & Co, Oak Street Bootmakers are also 2 other American Made shoe companies that make exceptional shoes/boots.

Now, a couple other things: There isn't anything country about wingtips. Cowboy boots are not usually wingtip. So, having wingtip shoes or boots isn't going to make you look "country".

Finally, I'm going to echo the advice above: In one short post, you mentioned your ex-wife twice. You also mentioned dating. As someone who was divorced, and now remarried, you gotta get over your anger towards her before you're going to have any success dating. Nobody wants to hear about someone's ex. And the fact you mentioned her twice when it's hardly relevant to buying shoes is a big red flag. I wish you luck with the divorce and getting your life back on track. Updating your wardrobe can certainly help with the change and fresh start!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theresajulianne