• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Student Looking for Nice, Inexpensive Drivers/Loafers

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm a college student looking for some nice, yet inexpensive drivers/loafers (perhaps > $150, ideally no more than $100?) that can be worn with jeans (think dark wash Gap Straight Fit).

Basically, anything for a casual look (think custom-fit Polo shirt and fitted jeans) or with a button-up and jeans or chinos for social outings.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can probably find some nice ones, maybe on sale, from Cole Haan. If you are willing to shell out a few bucks, chekc out Tod's or Prada. I own a few of them and they are by far the most comfortable of my shoes.

DJ_YOOKS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer
You can probably find some nice ones, maybe on sale, from Cole Haan. If you are willing to shell out a few bucks, chekc out Tod's or Prada. I own a few of them and they are by far the most comfortable of my shoes.

Cole Haan's do make some great affordable shoes. I think one thing you should keep in mind is that buying nice durable shoes like the aforementioned, that they last quite a long time. Also plus the look nicer longer, as long as you don't kick them around harsher than work boots.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$118
j63288.jpg

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I got those for $30 during their end of summer sale. I've thrashed them in like two years but they're comfortable. If I come across them (especially their leather ones for under $100 again I'll bite on two

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont understand the rubber on the back of the heel.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I dont understand the rubber on the back of the heel.

Well, it's a driving shoe. You can't really appreciate the rubber back unless you drive. The way the foot is positioned on the pedal can scuff the **** out of shoes.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
^ I got those for $30 during their end of summer sale. I've thrashed them in like two years but they're comfortable. If I come across them (especially their leather ones for under $100 again I'll bite on two

I was going to pull the trigger on these. But I can wait till the end of summer to save ALOT of money.

JO3B

Reaction score
if you drive chances are your heel rolls. on a pair of sneakers you might notice dirt accumulating on the hell of the shoe.

the rubber obviously prevents this.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i have had designer ones i.e. tod's, gucci, and prada and its not so much the brand - its more the material

get something that is smooth leather, not suede. i've gone through a pair of tod's, pradas, to boot new york, and the aformentioned j.crew pair - they all went caput on me after a few months of everyday casual wear. ok, maybe not completely caput, but they looked pretty worn out and lifeless -therefore they lost there sophisticated casual look

i have a pair of cole haan venetian drivers that have held up ridiculously well, with a polishing once a month, and i wear these almost everyday to work. BTW i got them at nordstrom on sale for $90

you don't neccessarily have to go designer for quality. i've handled some by via spiga and hush puppy - yes, hush puppy that were pretty stellar in terms of fit and finish and they were all either in the $100-120 range

hi-val

Reaction score
I've been wearing the hell out of these:
81VFHF57N2L._SS400_.jpg
The picture does no justice. Sperrys only get better with age and I've found that they're great for a transition to a little bit nicer look too. Amazon has them for forty buxx so they're easy on the wallet. I haven't looked at their other designs but I'm sure they're of similar price.

dziner82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
I've been wearing the hell out of these:

81VFHF57N2L._SS400_.jpg

The picture does no justice.

Sperrys only get better with age and I've found that they're great for a transition to a little bit nicer look too. Amazon has them for forty buxx so they're easy on the wallet. I haven't looked at their other designs but I'm sure they're of similar price.

the picture does enough justice for me. Its a kilty-tassle.
confused.gif
I think an important question to sixth_sense is what kind of look he is going for? Those sperrys are a traditional shoe, maybe getting some love on the preppy front, but basically looked at as an 'older' shoe. Which is my personal opinion. If sixth sense was thinking about drivers i cant imagine that he would consider those.

The link for the ones from banana republic aren't bad shoes for the price.

check out these as well:
http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpa...=m&pcid=110989

they have the driving inspired sole but without the true driving 'heel rubber', also a nice price.

Contrary to some belief on here i have had many shoes that i didi not pay over $100 for that held up for a few years, but then again i have a decent amount of shoes and none of them get much wear, and even if they did i dont think i could wear the same shoe for more than a few seasons.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads