• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Tailor for Alterations in NYC

ChanFan

Reaction score
I'm sure this topic has been on here before, but I could not turn up anything with a search. Does anyone have a recommendation as to who would be the best bet for a suit jacket alteration in New York? Has anybody tried the tailors at Madame Paulette? I have had good success with cleaning there but have never used them for an alteration

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Try Wilfred's on 23rd btwn 5+6. They've done well by me. I usually go there directly after the Barney's Warehouse sale and see some well dressed gents coming from the same sale.

Lint Brush

Reaction score
I recently used Alexis Tailors on 77th btw 2nd and 3rd--he does nice work and also makes custom suits. He altered a Chester Barrie gray flannel sport coat I bought off Ebay for $35 (alterations cost more than the jacket.).

redtree00

Reaction score
Dynasty tailors 38th between mad & 5th, expensive but by far the best work I have seen. I have had them do Jacket sleeves, Jacket collars, Shirt sleeves, trousers cuffs, trouser recuts you name it. I would avoid Rupens like the plague. His work leaves much to be desired, I had to go back for multiple fittings to simply take in several pair of trousers, he used the excuse that the fabric was inferior and thats why it wasnt laying properly. To make your experience even more pleasureable he would not stop trying to sell me the eastern european/south american no name crappy suits and trousers that he has for sale in the store, not only are they dusty and look like they have been hanging there for years but he wants to charge $100 for a pair of trousers with the selling line of "alterations free of course" Used car salesman in the form of a tailor
sadlike.gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wilfred's Tailoring Inc. is great (18 W 23rd St, Between 5 & 6th, 4th floor).  Very mellow, unpretentious and above all affordable. 646-242-3030
Wow, if Wilfred's is considered affordable, I'd hate to see what the others charge.  The gentleman who takes the measurements and all is quite polite and helpful, but I get attitude from the lady at the counter when I call to ensure that my order is ready.  Calling ahead is something I would recommend since promptness is perhaps not one of their strongest characteristics.

dan

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend an affordable tailor in the East Village or Lower East Side? This would be for really simple stuff, such as hemming jeans, and maybe taking in a dress shirt on the sides, nothing as complex as altering a jacket. I really just want someone who will do a competent job, and more importantly, is not uber-expensive.

Thanks,

Dan

Also, kinda related, kinda not - does anyone have experience with altering the "shape" of a pair of pants. Such as taking a straightleg pant and turning it into a bootcut by bringing in the width around the knee? Would a tailor make such an alteration?

Thanks again.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had some Diesel jeans taken in from the knee down at Wilfred's. They fit my legs better that way and I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out. I'm going to take in a pair of moleskins that are too much of a "relaxed" fit and see what they can do with them.

dan

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(mack11211 @ 17 Nov. 2004, 10:02) Wilfred's Tailoring Inc. is great (18 W 23rd St, Between 5 & 6th, 4th floor). Very mellow, unpretentious and above all affordable. 646-242-3030
Wow, if Wilfred's is considered affordable, I'd hate to see what the others charge. The gentleman who takes the measurements and all is quite polite and helpful, but I get attitude from the lady at the counter when I call to ensure that my order is ready. Calling ahead is something I would recommend since promptness is perhaps not one of their strongest characteristics. dan
What do you mean when you say not affordable? How much to take in pants waist? How much to hem? Thanks

lisapop

Reaction score
The place that lots of very finicky women take their couture dresses to for alterations is LS on Lex. Ave, near Bloomies. Don't have their number. Just use them for alterations; Don't get involved with their custom suits. Speak with Sal.
Grayson

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump. Anywhere good on the Upper West Side?

I usually need pants waist taken in plus hem. I usually go to Bhambis but am tired of paying $50 per pair of pants.

Will any department stores tailor outside garments? I thought I remembered that Ralph Lauren was willing to but could be wrong.

Thanks for your responses.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump. Anywhere good on the Upper West Side?

I usually need pants waist taken in plus hem. I usually go to Bhambis but am tired of paying $50 per pair of pants.

Will any department stores tailor outside garments? I thought I remembered that Ralph Lauren was willing to but could be wrong.

Thanks for your responses.
Any dept store will take in outside merchandise. RL will also, but they are expensive... $18 for hemming pants.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(zjpj83 @ April 15 2005,17:05) Bump. Anywhere good on the Upper West Side? I usually need pants waist taken in plus hem. I usually go to Bhambis but am tired of paying $50 per pair of pants. Will any department stores tailor outside garments? I thought I remembered that Ralph Lauren was willing to but could be wrong. Thanks for your responses.
Any dept store will take in outside merchandise. RL will also, but they are expensive... $18 for hemming pants.
I thought I asked at Saks once and got a snide comment about them not tailoring stuff bought elsewhere, but maybe the guy was just a [insert ungentlemanly word here].

sashae

Reaction score
Went by Dynasty this morning to see if they could do working sleeve buttons, and they could not. I've got another sportcoat to do at the same time, so I'm going to try calling around to a few other places and see if I can meet with success. Sorta disappointing, considering Dynasty is right around the corner from me.

-s

cpac

Reaction score
I have had mixed experiences at Ramon on Mott St (see other thread).
Which other thread?

I got a couple suits at the Paul Stuart sale that I need to have slightly altered, and was thinking Ramon was the way to go (based, I suppose, primarily on the

If people have other suggestions for this sort of finishing work either near Grand Central, or in the East Village, I would appreciate hearing from you.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(mack11211 @ Nov. 17 2004,07:01) I have had mixed experiences at Ramon on Mott St (see other thread).
Which other thread? I got a couple suits at the Paul Stuart sale that I need to have slightly altered, and was thinking Ramon was the way to go (based, I suppose, primarily on the If people have other suggestions for this sort of finishing work either near Grand Central, or in the East Village, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Yeah, I don't even care if it's in my area. I'm willing to travel anywhere in Manhattan so long as I'm not being charged hundreds of dollars per suit and the work is good. In other words, somehwere in between a dry cleaner and a bespoke tailor who charges a fortune would be ideal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads