• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone (thrifters) advice on how to 'freshen' a tie?

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a bunch of used silk ties, and it looks like the seller/shipper had ironed them. The weave isn't messed up and the threads seem fine, but the ties are very flat. Any of you hardcore thrifters or ebay buyers have advice on freshening or fluffing ties? Should I try dry-cleaning?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dry cleaning is really a last resort to removing stains. They may be ruined as breakfasteatre said but give them a good steam before hand and see if that works before you go an piff them all out.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
but give them a good steam before hand and see if that works before you go an piff them all out.

+1. One of my ex. girlfriends accidentally ironed several of my ties (in an attempt to be nice) and ruined a bunch - but I was able to salvage a lot of them by giving them a good steaming.

Wrinkling, steaming and wearing them (and repeating the process) helped save several of those ties. Definitely worth a tie^W try.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What exactly happens when a tie is ironed that ruins them?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
I just got a bunch of used silk ties, and it looks like the seller/shipper had ironed them. The weave isn't messed up and the threads seem fine, but the ties are very flat. Any of you hardcore thrifters or ebay buyers have advice on freshening or fluffing ties? Should I try dry-cleaning?

Email the seller & tell him he's an idiot. Then explain why.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
not sure how much it'll help, but you may want to try tie crafters:

http://tiecrafters.com/contact.html

Good suggestion. If Tiecrafters cannot fix the ties, the ties are ruined.

You could also try steaming, either with a hand-held steamer or by putting the ties in the bathroom while you shower. Try to get the tie near the steam, but don't get it wet! Good luck!

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1

Yes, I didn't realize you had just got the ties. If you can return them, do so. The chances are not so good that the ties will come out like you might want them to. I had a house fire several years ago and I gave a dry cleaner my 100+ collection of vintage (1930's-1940's) neckties to clean. When I got the ties back, many were ruined from being mashed flat.
frown.gif

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1

Thanks for the responses. I'm not going to name the person, but the seller's a regular SF member/poster (esp. in politics & c.e.) Wouldn't we expect such a person would understand this basic rule?

As I said, the ties are flat (with slight indentations from the back end pressing against the front end). Why would you iron a damn tie?!

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, paid very little for these, so I'm going to let it slide. Seller contacted me in response to my PM and claimed these were in the condition he got them and that 'it's common with vintage ties.' I replied I have only bought thrifted/ebay ties (and some from SF members) and none are 'flat' like so.

What a drag, I hate it when a person's just kind of, ah, lame.

BTW, seller has well over a thousand posts on this site. Oh, yeah, his other big point was that he'd sold all of his stock (like 30 ties). As if that means they're not flat, sitting here in my hand. Pfft.

If you're going to be a seller, don't dump crap on others w/o informing 'em it's crap.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HerbeWilk