• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes a great belt?

Reaction score
What makes a great belt? ...What details / features matter?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quality of leather

attention to detail (are the stitching even, are the leather layers tightly glued together, are the edges evenly finished)

finish on the buckle

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think everyone above me just about covered everything...i mean, there isn't much to a belt when you think about it...

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mentioned earlier that finishing is very important. I had a Ferragamo belt fell apart on me right in the middle, the front of the leather and the backing became unglued. It was quite distressing to me that Ferragamo let out such shoddy product, which was not cheap.

I've since then learned to avoid un-stitched belts.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
My two considerations:
1. Looks decent
2. Is cheap

+1. Two of my favorites are brown and black Polo belts from C21. $25 each, down from Ralph's tagged price of $125.

Wicky

Reaction score
A belt that matches the color of the shoes you are wearing and preferably exactkly the same leather...

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UCBerkelyHaas06
What makes a great belt? ...What details / features matter?
Which belt company do you work for?
Originally Posted by stickonatree
i think everyone above me just about covered everything...i mean, there isn't much to a belt when you think about it...
I think alot about it. How about, "There isn't much to a tie when you think about it." I know what makes a fine belt but I also know that most Forum members aren't really interested in a quality belt. High end, fine belts are a true luxury item, they run under the radar. Most brand name companies don't make them because they are too expensive to produce and as long as men are willing to buy a low end belt for alot more than it's worth, why bother.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wicky
A belt that matches the color of the shoes you are wearing and preferably exactkly the same leather...

For a beginner this is a very good idea. When done too studiously it's trying too hard. No sprezzatura.

Montesquieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I mentioned earlier that finishing is very important. I had a Ferragamo belt fell apart on me right in the middle, the front of the leather and the backing became unglued. It was quite distressing to me that Ferragamo let out such shoddy product, which was not cheap.

I've since then learned to avoid un-stitched belts.

+2. I had the exact same thing happen to me on two separate Ferragamo belts. (Why I bought a second one is a different question with an answer that reflects poorly on my judgment.) Both were essentially ruined within 6 months, and a return for repair bought only an extra 3 months of life.

Avoid glue and Ferragamo. Seek high quality stitching.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
For a beginner this is a very good idea. When done too studiously it's trying too hard. No sprezzatura.
Some individuals, when having custom shoes done, reserve some of the leather for a matching belt. My belt makers say this is not always desireable for technical reasons.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montesquieu
+2. I had the exact same thing happen to me on two separate Ferragamo belts. (Why I bought a second one is a different question with an answer that reflects poorly on my judgment.) Both were essentially ruined within 6 months, and a return for repair bought only an extra 3 months of life. Avoid glue and Ferragamo. Seek high quality stitching.
Inexpensive glued belts are going to fall apart sooner or later. I don't like stitching. I don't like the look of it.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between getting belts locally, ordering from LGC, or buying large AE belts off eBay and having snaps put on. Any advice?

There is a store in town that sells nothing but belts, belt buckles, and supplies for leather crafts. Their belts only come in one quality level, around $35/each. I tried to ask some questions about quality, but the store proprietor is a little weird, so I wasn't able to get much info without knowing what to ask. For example, he said that "harness" and "bridle" leather are marketing terms, but that his leather is vegetable tanned in the same way you'd tan leather for making harnesses or bridles.

Also, any thoughts on whether business-casual belts should have stitching?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads