• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: RM Williams Forum Special Chelsea Boots Size 8G

undarted

Reaction score
*SOLD* Thanks for all your emails and offers, thanks SF! Brand New, just received them yesterday. Never worn, never walked around in, just tried on once, want a wider size. Model: Forum Special Model Chelseas or "FSM", courtesy of Sator in this thread: http://styleforum.net/showthread.php...light=williams Color: Black French Veal Calf Size: 8 G Outsole length measurement: 11.5" Outsole width measurement: 4" (click to enlarge)

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your estimate on US size equiv having tried them on?

undarted

Reaction score
Good question - since these are my first Chelsea boots, I'm not sure if I can give a meaningful guess in US size. Let me tell you a bit about the journey, and maybe that'll help.

My feet have been measured by brannock device to be 8E.

I tried on AE Park Avenues, and I preferred the 8EEE fit - sounds strange, i know; it's either the particular last, my slightly thick foot, my preference for a little room, or a combination of all factors. In any case, I got the 8G according to Sator's "standard formula."

They work, but they're a little snug widthwise. Actually, in his guide, Sator did say the boots felt slightly narrower than the equivalent AE. I personally would like to have a bit more room, just a personal preference.

ENT

Reaction score
Using that formula, how did you find the boots to be in length?

dave

Reaction score
to give you another perspective, I am an 11 D in nearly all AEs and I had to replace the pair of forum specials I ordered because they were Ds and they were way too narrow. I now have a pair of 11F on the way that I hope to have any time now and I'm pretty confident they will fit.

basically, I would go with your normal shoe size but size up one width.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is stretching an option? I have had very good results with stretching my narrow shoes. Wearing them for a few hours on a slightly wet sock will do it.

undarted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ENT
Using that formula, how did you find the boots to be in length?

The same - I think they correspond closely to US length.

Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Is stretching an option? I have had very good results with stretching my narrow shoes. Wearing them for a few hours on a slightly wet sock will do it.

I have a personal philosophy that 300+ dollar shoes should fit exactly how I want them to feel out of the box. I'm sure calf will stretch and boots will loosen up over time, but I always prefer some room, especially since I like to add comfort insoles. Just my thing, though.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found any kind of insole dramatically reduces the room inside, so yeah I would say don't bother with stretching.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the overall lenght and width of the outsole?
Thank you.

Do you have a "profile", side shot of the boot available?

undarted

Reaction score
Post updated in response to requests, measurements and profile pic.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone know how differently a french veal calf version fits compared to the normal calf models? I know I fit a standard 8 G calf Craftsman, but not sure if it's significantly different.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by undarted
Good question - since these are my first Chelsea boots, I'm not sure if I can give a meaningful guess in US size. Let me tell you a bit about the journey, and maybe that'll help.

My feet have been measured by brannock device to be 8E.

I tried on AE Park Avenues, and I preferred the 8EEE fit - sounds strange, i know; it's either the particular last, my slightly thick foot, my preference for a little room, or a combination of all factors. In any case, I got the 8G according to Sator's "standard formula."

They work, but they're a little snug widthwise. Actually, in his guide, Sator did say the boots felt slightly narrower than the equivalent AE. I personally would like to have a bit more room, just a personal preference.

I was wondering what went wrong with my guide. But I did write this:

If you have concerns about the faint narrowness and shortness relative to PAs of the Forum Special in my Standard Formula, you should order a Forum Special using the Relaxed Fit Formula:

With that formula you'd have ended up with a pair of 8Hs. So I think I will keep my guide as it is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads