• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for good recomendations for OTTAWA, Canada

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am a noob to this Forum but have been lurking in the background a while. I am a 34 year old Professional in Finance. I have fallen into a bit of a rutt in my wardrobe. I have about 8 suits all of which are either Black or Navy (plain and Pinstripe). These suits are Canali, Hugo Boss, Paul Smith and Coppley. I have really appreciated some of the tips I am picking up here.

Most of my purchases have been from Harry Rosen and Holt Renfrew. Are there any other good options in Ottawa??? I am also not above searching for good deals in consignment shops.... but short of the "Once in a Blue moon" treasure found at Value Village, do not know of any good locations. Also I like the tailoring offered from Harry Rosen's but can anyone else reccomend an excellent tailor in Ottawa as well.

Thanks for the guidance!

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, you haven't inquired specifically about a cobbler, but in case you need one, a man with tremendous talent and experience can be found at Norris Shoe Repair (he's the owner, I believe) on Jamie Avenue (phone no. 613-241-9005). Believe it or not, I've used him, all the way from Vancouver, and he's just first-rate.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MunnyGuy
Hello all.

I am a noob to this Forum but have been lurking in the background a while. I am a 34 year old Professional in Finance. I have fallen into a bit of a rutt in my wardrobe. I have about 8 suits all of which are either Black or Navy (plain and Pinstripe). These suits are Canali, Hugo Boss, Paul Smith and Coppley. I have really appreciated some of the tips I am picking up here.

Most of my purchases have been from Harry Rosen and Holt Renfrew. Are there any other good options in Ottawa??? I am also not above searching for good deals in consignment shops.... but short of the "Once in a Blue moon" treasure found at Value Village, do not know of any good locations. Also I like the tailoring offered from Harry Rosen's but can anyone else reccomend an excellent tailor in Ottawa as well.

Thanks for the guidance!

Options are quite limited in ottawa from what i've seen. Your best bet may be MTM Samuelsohn from Harry Rosen. It's priced reasonably, well-made, and canvassed. I don't have any clue whether there's a good bespoke tailor there.

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I was aware of Norris Shoe Repair, a proper cobbler is a dying breed unfortunately.

I had a MTM Coppley from Harry Rosen and was quite disappointed. I am less impressed with Harry's lately as I feel as if I am being rushed to make decisions and it seems that EVERYTHING looks good on me lately (I beg to differ). I have tried dealing with multiple salespeople. Unfortunately, it seems as if they feel good Customer Service is to be a toadying sycophant rather than trying to help someone make good purchase decisions.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I was aware of Norris Shoe Repair, a proper cobbler is a dying breed unfortunately.

I had a MTM Coppley from Harry Rosen and was quite disappointed. I am less impressed with Harry's lately as I feel as if I am being rushed to make decisions and it seems that EVERYTHING looks good on me lately (I beg to differ). I have tried dealing with multiple salespeople. Unfortunately, it seems as if they feel good Customer Service is to be a toadying sycophant rather than trying to help someone make good purchase decisions.

That's unfortunate. There are several good salespeople at the Montreal store. My suggestion would be to look at the WAYWN thread to see how things should fit and read up on construction in these forums to learn about quality. It's up to you to become the smarter consumer otherwise you'll make bad decisions. I did for years.

And don't mistake Coppley with Samuelsohn. They are two different manufacturers. I wouldn't consider Coppley. I'm actually a bespoke customer at the Montreal store and the tailor is actually the guy that first turned me on to samuelsohn (knowing how fussy I was) to me after I told him what I wanted in terms of cut but that I didn't want to pay $700+ per pair since I needed about 8 pairs.

EDIT: If you really can't find what you want. It may be worth travelling to montreal or toronto to do all your shopping at once a couple of times per year.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being close to the border and with the exchange the way it is you might just want to take a weekend drive south. Sounds like NY and such has fantastic shopping. I wish I was closer just to have a look at the very least.

mendel

Reaction score
There's E.R. Fisher on Richmond at McRae, across from the Superstore in Westboro. Used to have a Sparks St. store as well but they closed it. They carry both Samuelsohn and Coppley but my memory's blanking on what else they have. I'm in a similar boat, by the way -- starting my MBA at U of O next month after years in back-office (ie. jeans-clad) IT, although my budget's a bit slimmer. So I'm heading down to Montreal in the next couple of weeks myself. I'm soliciting recommendations on a good Ottawa alterations tailor if you've got anyone to recommend. (edit: I'd also asked about S.Cohen here, but I started a new thread instead.)

StolenCar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mendel
I'm soliciting recommendations on a good Ottawa alterations tailor if you've got anyone to recommend.
I'm in the same boat. I've heard good things about Leo La Vecchia in New Edinburgh, but have yet to try him. I also heard good things about Paris Tailors on Bank Street, who I did try and wouldn't recommend. The one local tailor I've used in the past for MTM work retired a couple of years ago (English and Scotch Tailors, last seen on Bank St).

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
I was speaking to a client today who is always well dressed and he recommended:

Raymond Tailor of Distinction
60 George, Ottawa, ON K1N 9L8
(613) 241 4134

I am going to check him out next week.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Canuker
Being close to the border and with the exchange the way it is you might just want to take a weekend drive south. Sounds like NY and such has fantastic shopping. I wish I was closer just to have a look at the very least.

This is good advice. I was in Ottawa on business last summer, and had some spare time and went to Harry Rosen at the Rideau Center. They seemed to have a lot of Hugo Boss, Burberry London, and Armani, but the prices were pretty bad, as in way high. The selection of Canali was limited. If I remember correctly, the high end shoes they carried were Allen Edmonds.

StolenCar

Reaction score
I was speaking to a client today who is always well dressed and he recommended:

Raymond Tailor of Distinction
60 George, Ottawa, ON K1N 9L8
(613) 241 4134

I am going to check him out next week.

Please let us know how it turns out. Is this for MTM work or alterations?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fatherseanfan
How much is a MTM Samuelsohn suit at Rosen?

$1,000+

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StolenCar
Please let us know how it turns out. Is this for MTM work or alterations?

I am going to bring in some suits for alterations and some shirts to be fitted. Thinking of getting some custom shirts too. Will let you know.

mendel

Reaction score
I dropped off a couple of pairs of pants (my Winners Coppleys!) and a sportcoat with Raymond for alterations earlier today. I got a good vibe. I'll let you know how it went.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads