• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pattern contest. Prize: Kent Wang pocket square.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On the heels of the trad contest, Kent Wang will be sponsoring a new contest. This time the theme is mixing patterns. Not all items have to be patterned -- some can be solids -- but the more patterns, the higher the degree of difficulty. Still, a smashing three pattern combination beats a merely good four pattern combination. Post your outfits in this thread. Entries will be accepted until the end of the day (Eastern Time) Sunday, June 24. Manton will act as an impartial judge and select a number of finalists from these submissions. Then a poll will be opened to all forum members to choose the winner from said finalists. Perhaps a pocket square from Kent Wang will be exactly what you need to complete your outfit for the contest. If you place your order before June 20, you should receive your square in time for the deadline. Update. Thanks to the graciousness of edmorel and LSeca, the new prize structure is as follows: The winner will receive any pocket square or cuff link of his choice from Kent Wang. First through third place will also select an item each from edmorel's lot of Roda pocket squares, tie and shirt. First place will get first pick, and so on. Therefore the big winner will receive two prizes, while second and third will each receive consolation prizes of their choosing.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am, it goes without saying, inelligible, but here are two combos for the hell of it:

dscn2643zq8.jpg

dscn2615zm3.jpg

Note that in both cases, shirt, tie and coat are all different patterns. (In the first, the pocket square is roughly analgous to the shirt, in the second to the tie.) In my experience, it is easier to mix patterns this way, harder when two or more elements are the same basic genre of pattern. Hence the degree of difficulty increases not merely based on the number of patterns combined, but also on their similarity.

Good luck!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those two suits look quite different. Are they from the same tailor?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Note that in both cases, shirt, tie and coat are all different patterns. (In the first, the pocket square is roughly analgous to the shirt, in the second to the tie.) In my experience, it is easier to mix patterns this way, harder when two or more elements are the same basic genre of pattern. Hence the degree of difficulty increases not merely based on the number of patterns combined, but also on their similarity.

Good luck!

Thank you Tim McCarver!
devil.gif
devil.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Thank you Tim McCarver!
devil.gif
devil.gif

In honor of edmorel, bonus points will be awarded for wearing a silk square and/or a coat with extended shoulders.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I'll kill the first person who wears a solid colored silk square in a puff.

dscn2618ze9.jpg

Shall I PM you my address? I don't want to post it, because I don't think I am up to dealing with more than one assassin at a time.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
dscn2618ze9.jpg

Shall I PM you my address? I don't want to post it, because I don't think I am up to dealing with more than one assassin at a time.

Interestingly enough, this is probably my fav outfit that you have posted. We don't have the same taste in ties or collars or suit fits but I love the collar on this shirt, the tie works great with it and I like the fit of the suit, although my monitor washes off some of it due to it being dark colored and my monitor being crap. Of course the sik square is an abomination, but the rest of the outfit is so good that it doesn't matter.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea the stripes r a bit close but I'm in a stripy mood today with a white linen square how rebel for this thread
smile.gif
:
50752s4.jpg

Manton's last outfit looks like a great one I really love and would strive to emulate. Classic powder blue shirt, subdued tie, and nice burgundy square
worship.gif
looks like a corporate exec.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, trawled through some older snaps and found a couple that I liked.

3 pattern casual (plus, if it counts, the 4th "pattern" being the stripe in the cords trousers):

4 pattern business (the white linen square has a small floral leaf design and the tie has a paisley design woven into it):

What was interesting looking back is that I found that I very rarely do 4 patterns for business. Generally I tend to stick to three patterns, or even just two but using quite bold designs when I do include a pattern.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An old waywt outfit of mine. Pants were a grey twill.

waywt005-3.jpg

waywt006-4.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, this is probably my fav outfit that you have posted. We don't have the same taste in ties or collars or suit fits but I love the collar on this shirt, the tie works great with it and I like the fit of the suit,

Odd because (among other things) virtually all my shirt collars look just like that (and most are from the same maker), except for a handful of tabs, cutaways and buttondowns that I can't recall ever posting. Also, that is one of the drapiest suits I own. The shoulder -- no padding, no extension -- is that same as pretty much all my other suits from various makers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads