• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Made This Shoe For Polo RL?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got this shoe on ebay, inside it says PRL Benchmade in England. There are numbers written by hand inside the quarters. There is a double row of nails in the all-leather heels.

Seems like an overbrogue. The medallion looks almost like a bird. They have hidden welts. Can anyone tell who made it? Thanks!

06-06-07_1123.jpg

06-06-07_1124.jpg

06-06-07_1125.jpg

06-06-07_1126.jpg

06-06-07_1127.jpg

06-06-07_1128.jpg

06-06-07_1129.jpg

pejsek

Reaction score
Looks like the EG Falkirk--one of my all-time favorite shoes. Great find! The medallion, I believe, is a stylized thistle. What exactly are the numbers written inside the shoe? If they are by Green they will likely include last and production numbers (the latter of which could be used to date the shoes with a fair degree of accuracy).
Congratulations.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's the "˜old' Falkirk. The new one has applied facings on the quarters that are pulled back to the heel. Although today EG only produces for RLPL, those shoes were probably made when Purple Label was not even a thought in Ralph's mind. I would guess late 80s.

In all probability, they are Edward Green. The handwritten markings would show the size and the last. They might only have the American size (modern EG have English and American sizes); most likely last will be 202. Markings might be something like this: 10 D 202 and a row below a four or five digit production number.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
these are awesome. can you show the original listing? I have been checking ebay for Polo and RL shoes pretty regularly and I dont remember seeing this

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Looks like the EG Falkirk--one of my all-time favorite shoes. Great find! The medallion, I believe, is a stylized thistle. What exactly are the numbers written inside the shoe? If they are by Green they will likely include last and production numbers (the latter of which could be used to date the shoes with a fair degree of accuracy). Congratulations.
The numbers are 13 D.520 then 9793 under that.
Originally Posted by stickonatree
those look so good i wanna eat them
I know, I love them!
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
It’s the ‘old’ Falkirk. The new one has applied facings on the quarters that are pulled back to the heel. Although today EG only produces for RLPL, those shoes were probably made when Purple Label was not even a thought in Ralph’s mind. I would guess late 80s. In all probability, they are Edward Green. The handwritten markings would show the size and the last. They might only have the American size (modern EG have English and American sizes); most likely last will be 202. Markings might be something like this: 10 D 202 and a row below a four or five digit production number.
See above for numbers
Originally Posted by Tarmac
these are awesome. can you show the original listing? I have been checking ebay for Polo and RL shoes pretty regularly and I dont remember seeing this
Original listing, I'm guessing seller had no clue, as these were from an estate sale

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ghosts of Prada )))))))
devil.gif

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow I also keep a watch on all Polo's and all 13s and somehow missed these too. EGs for $9.99 is a pretty sweet deal. I thought the C&J for Polo I got for $15.00 was a steal. Good work.

well-kept

Reaction score
You got those for next to nothing, then did a very nice job of polishing them. I hope you get many years of pleasure from them. Great find.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
You got those for next to nothing, then did a very nice job of polishing them. I hope you get many years of pleasure from them. Great find.
Thanks, but the pictures above were straight out of the shipping box. I have since conditioned them with Cura leather conditioner, hit them with a horsehair brush & added some edge dressing. The soles are in great shape but I'll probably take them to B. Nelson for resoling at some point.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No doubt, this is a genuine EG shoe and I see from AskAndy you acquired them for the enormous sum of $ 9.99. Congratulations.

The shoes might even be older, in EG’s catalogue of the late 80s, they are featured in the ‘new’ style with added facings. (Only from pejsek’s pictures did I become aware of the old style.)

EGcatalogue.jpg

Don’t know anything about last 520, previous catalogues featured a last 505 “rounded toe with added depth for a more sporty look”. The 520 last is probably on similar lines.

The shoes might well be from the late 70s, before John Hlustik acquired the company in the early 80s. The factory should be able to tell you the exact date of production (assuming they have not totally got fed up with all the enquiries: “Found those shoes in thrift shop/eBay, what can you tell me about them?”

Again: Congratulations. Wear them in good health.

P.S. If they need resoling, let the factory do it.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are definitely Edward Green. I have a pair of suede Asquith from the same line, though yours look to be older than mine. One thing is that the writing on the interior of these shoes doesn't reveal much, unlike most all EG shoes.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
They are definitely Edward Green. I have a pair of suede Asquith from the same line, though yours look to be older than mine. One thing is that the writing on the interior of these shoes doesn't reveal much, unlike most all EG shoes.

Sorry for the extreme lowball offer on those Santoni Bristol's, even though you have them listed for more than 50% off retail, I had to try. I was just saying how I wanted a shoe that had my namesake & this is the first I've found that I like.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here's the reply from Edward Green:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry. We forwarded your e-mail to the factory and this was their reply:

'Ticket reference number 9793 refers to our style Falkirk which was made for Ralph Lauren in 1992
On the SZ0 last D fitting sizes 8½ through to 12 & 13 (English sizes) in Chestnut Antique.'

We hope this helps.

Kind regards
Edward Green and Co
75 Jermyn Street
London

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads