• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pics of my new h&m suit

ethirtynine

Reaction score
Last week I asked for advice on where to buy my first suit. I was given a list of places and websites, h&m being one of them. I decided to go check the place out and ended up buying one.
the suit is a 34R slim cut, navy, 2 button, side vent.
please excuse the lack of a tie, the untucked shirt, and the dunks. I just took some quick pics.
fyi, I switched the pants from the 30 slim to the 32 slim. i'm a 31, but either way those 30's were just too skinny and didn't look proportional to the jacket.
all in all, it was a good deal. $250 was the hit to my wallet. some say the quality of the suit is not up to par with others (expensive stuff I guess), but it seems nice to me. I can't tell the difference anyways. I was actually more concerned with finding a suit with a good cut and fit.

btw I haven't taken it to a tailor yet, I plan to take shorten the sleeves and shorten the pants. should I take in the sides of the jacket too? anything else?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It looks pretty good, though the jacket may be a little bit long. How tall are you? A good tailor will tell you if I'm right and should be able to take 1/2-3/4" off the length. Either way, it's not egregious.

When you go in to get it fitted, wear a fitted dress shirt and bring a tie, and wear dress shoes so you can get the length right. Be sure to have them show 1/2" of shirt cuff and leave minimal break on the top of the shoe. You may have to fight your alterations person to get this, based on my experience...

In any case, given your lack of options at 34R and slim, I think you've done pretty well. I was relatively impressed with the suits at H&M, though I only briefly looked at them - they aren't much different than many that retail for twice as much, and for someone who wears one only infrequently, would be a pretty good deal in the more basic fabrics.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an experiment, you might consider sizing down. (The jacket could benefit from a shorter length, I think.)

That said, the fit seems relatively good on the whole, - you need to shorten the sleeves and trousers significantly, of course.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit is one of the most important elements in clothing -- especially suiting. I second the motion for tailoring, as appropriate. On a $250 suit buying separates, look for the right size on the elements (pants and jacket). Your move to swap out for the right trousers was a good one. With the jacket, check if they stock short lengths if you feel this one is too long. Regardless, congratulations on your first step into the world of the well dressed.

Now get yourself a solid pair of shoes ...!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Sizing down wouldnt be an option since 34 is the smallest size HM make (or anyone else for that matter)

but overall it looks really good! It just needs the finishing touches by an alterations tailor (length of trousers, sleeves, maybe jacket body)

I dont think HM suits are as bad as they're decried. Like J said, the quality is definitely as good as suits that cost 2x more and I've seen some tweed sport jackets that were actually pretty nice with Italian fabrics and felt good. Good start!

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a great khaki colored linen suit from H&M. I bought it for about 100 USD in Toronto when the Canadian dollar wasn't doing so well. I'd probably never drop serious coin on a linen suit, as it is so specialized, but for 100, it was a great buy. I didn't need to alter any of it off the rack. 36R jacket and 30" pants. The items both work well apart, as well.

ethirtynine

Reaction score
thanks for the comments. just for reference, what is the range ($) for shortening a jacket, sleeves and pants. what about taking in the jacket, should i do that? can you tell by the pics or will a tailor know to do it?

Originally Posted by Girardian
On a $250 suit buying separates, look for the right size on the elements (pants and jacket). Your move to swap out for the right trousers was a good one.

actually they weren't separates. i just took 2 suits into the dressing room, a 36 jacket w/ 32 pants and the 34 jacket w/ 30 pants. i felt the 34 jacket fit better with the 32 pants, so i switched them.

Originally Posted by j
It looks pretty good, though the jacket may be a little bit long. How tall are you?
...and leave minimal break on the top of the shoe. You may have to fight your alterations person to get this, based on my experience...

i'm 5'5", 115-120 lbs
what does "leave minimal break on top of the shoe" mean?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
miminal break mean that your the pants are of a length where they're just long enough to reach the shoe. No bunching bascically.

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ethirtynine

actually they weren't separates. i just took 2 suits into the dressing room, a 36 jacket w/ 32 pants and the 34 jacket w/ 30 pants. i felt the 34 jacket fit better with the 32 pants, so i switched them.

That's a horrible thing to do. Never do it again. Now either a) H & M has an extra suit that it can't sell (thereby driving up the costs for the rest of us; or b) an unsuspecting 36R is going to get really really small pants. Option (a) is borderline stealing and option (b) is just plain rude.

summej2

Reaction score
I'm a 36S with a 28 waist, so I'll cut you some slack for the little switch-a-roo. But, yes, that's not cool.

As for fit, I think the jacket body and shoulders look good. It is a touch too long (you seem to have a short torso). Otherwise, sleeves and trouser length should set you up quite well.

As a small person with a small drop (difference from chest to wasit), you might have really good luck with boy's sizes (if you can bear it). I think a 34 chest would give about a 32 waist for boy's 16 or 18. Hickey Freeman makes some nice models (they are fused though). Frankly I'd consider it if it weren't that I have too large a drop...

GloStiX

Reaction score
5'7" 125lb., I tried a 36R (with 30R pants) but found it a tad long and the waist area to bulge out too much, disproportionate with my trousers. I noticed that a lot of ppl on SF talk about the 34R that they sell, is this why? I guess I could either look for a smaller size jacket or size up on the pants?

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks nice!
i wish i had places to go where id need to wear a suit :p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads