• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trip to NYC - sales, places to check-out, etc.

Tiranis

Reaction score
Well, I just bought a ticket and hotel reservation in NYC for 14 days, leaving in 12 hours—yeah, nothing better than impulse purchases.
bounce2.gif
Anyway, so I'm going to be staying there until Jan 3rd and I'm wondering what are the places to check out during this time of year, what are the sales and stuff like that. Obviously there's the New Year's celebration... but anything special during Christmas (Dec 24 - 26)? Also, any places having good sales? Basically mention anything noteworthy in relation to shopping, places to visit, and where to eat-out—I would prefer great and cheap places, mainly because I enjoy the cheaper places far more than the expensive ones—and the more hidden the place is the better.
wink.gif
Thanks everyone! (And, please, don't ask me to do a search... first of all I already have and second I'm asking regarding this specific situation. Also posted this in streetwear because people here probably know the stores and stuff like that... and some of them don't go to the other parts of this forum.)

Goldengloves

Reaction score
That's a pretty cool impulse buy! Congrats, you'll have a lot of fun. I just got back from there and have to say I spent most of my shopping days in the Soho area. APC, 45rpm, Opening Ceremony, Cloak, BlueinGreen, Uniqlo, Nom De Guerre, etc. they are all down there and I suggest just taking a walk around the area. You will end up stumbling into most of the shops. You can start on Broadway and work your way over. I know (N)umber Nine is having a sale starting this week at thier flagship store in NY. APC starts thier sale after Christmas as do many other stores. Check out www.nymag.com and then the shopping/sale bargain section, they are very up to date about some of the bigger sales happening in the city. Definitely make sure you check out the Cloak store, Blue in Green Soho, 45rpm, and Nom De Guerre. They were some of my favorite stores, not just for the clothing but the atmosphere in all of them is great and most of them are only in New York. Superfuture's NY shop list can really help too. I know it did for me when I went. Just generally gave me a place to start with and I went from there.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goldengloves
That's a pretty cool impulse buy! Congrats, you'll have a lot of fun.

I just got back from there and have to say I spent most of my shopping days in the Soho area. APC, 45rpm, Opening Ceremony, Cloak, BlueinGreen, Uniqlo, Nom De Guerre, etc. they are all down there and I suggest just taking a walk around the area. You will end up stumbling into most of the shops. You can start on Broadway and work your way over.
I know (N)umber Nine is having a sale starting this week at thier flagship store in NY. APC starts thier sale after Christmas as do many other stores. Check out www.nymag.com and then the shopping/sale bargain section, they are very up to date about some of the bigger sales happening in the city.

Definitely make sure you check out the Cloak store, Blue in Green Soho, 45rpm, and Nom De Guerre. They were some of my favorite stores, not just for the clothing but the atmosphere in all of them is great and most of them are only in New York.

Superfuture's NY shop list can really help too. I know it did for me when I went. Just generally gave me a place to start with and I went from there.

AGREED but id have to add the new Paul Smith store in soho, theres a really nice paul smith flagship in cali but id still chek those one out...
ALSO check out IF BOUTIQUE in soho, im pretty sure its grand and spring
also check out Maison Martin Margiela on Greenwhich St.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goldengloves
They were some of my favorite stores, not just for the clothing but the atmosphere in all of them is great and most of them are only in New York.

Jack Spade too...Haven't bought anything, but I wish I could live in that store.

Go to Steven Alan, which is not far from Soho, just go south below Canal to Franklin St, really nice place, you can check out the new Steve Alan house denim which isnt up on the website I dont think. Lots of cool little shops in the East Village, and Nolita, right near there...and good pizza in Little Italy too.

Max

Reaction score
Eat at milon bangladesh indian restaurant and crif dogs.

Tiyo

Reaction score
i was thinking the same thing, going to NYC..
where are you staying tiranis? how much is it this time of year?

my favorite stores so far is nom de guerre...

Tiranis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tiyo
i was thinking the same thing, going to NYC.. where are you staying tiranis? how much is it this time of year?
For the two weeks that I wanted, with internet access in the room (if you don't need this, then you have way more choices)—and if you're over 21 you also have way more choices—the only sensible option was Hilton at Newark Airport. It's got a free shuttle to the airport, then take a train to downtown—cheap and pretty fast. It came out to $100/night (USD). (There were better options but they were either completely booked for one or more days during my stay, or they didn't have internet, or—which was the case most often—they only accepted people 21 and older.) Everyone thanks for the recommendations! Now I just need to get my bag from the airline... as if I didn't expect it, it got lost—they promised to deliver in the morning, but we'll see.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tiranis
For the two weeks that I wanted, with internet access in the room (if you don't need this, then you have way more choices)"”and if you're over 21 you also have way more choices"”the only sensible option was Hilton at Newark Airport. It's got a free shuttle to the airport, then take a train to downtown"”cheap and pretty fast. It came out to $100/night (USD).

(There were better options but they were either completely booked for one or more days during my stay, or they didn't have internet, or"”which was the case most often"”they only accepted people 21 and older.)

Everyone thanks for the recommendations! Now I just need to get my bag from the airline... as if I didn't expect it, it got lost"”they promised to deliver in the morning, but we'll see.

Fortunately my grandfather lives in Chinatown so I don't have to rent a hotel. It's too bad that I won't arrive in NYC until the 27th. Hopefully there will still be stuff in my sizes.

Max

Reaction score
Why not just falsify your age? Are they going to ask for ID at the hotel?

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max
Why not just falsify your age? Are they going to ask for ID at the hotel?

Last year when my family rented a room at Holiday Inn (there were too many of us to stay at my grandfather's place), the clerk asked my dad for his ID.

lowrey

Reaction score
dont they pretty much always check your ID at some point..? atleast if youre paying a 2 week hotel bill with a credit card
plain.gif

there'd be a hundred new york threads on superfuture that I'd copy here but its down again, should work soon though. if you haven't, check the store lists: http://www.superfuture.com/city/city/city.cfm?city=3

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also chek out the shake shack
its got really good burgers

ghostdeini

Reaction score
just out of curiosity how long of a train ride is manhattan from newark airport? and doesn't that severely limit how late you can stay out at night? I don't mean to be a party pooper, you definitely can't beat $100 a night unless you want to stay in a hostel or something

mr bunbury

Reaction score
I was just doing a little shopping in the city yesterday. I didn't find anything myself, but there are a lot of good sales: 40% off at Nom de Guerre (some of their own stuff, plus APC, a few W+H hoodies), and something close to 40% off at Cloak, if you can afford it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other cool NYC stores:

Odin NYC (not to be missed)
Oak (Brooklyn)
Famous Friends
Unis (on Elizabeth Street. The jackets are a great fit at a great pricepoint, especially the single breasted long jacket.)
I also like Steven Alan (well, I like the Merchandise anyway), Opening Ceremony, and Bloomingdales Soho is nice (not to mention that they will have discounts out the wazoo.
Marc Jacobs is 70% off F/W merchandise. Some really nice jackets, if anyone wants to buy one for me.
Oh, and Jutta Neuman carries some of the coolest leather accessories. I really like their cuffs and bracelets, if you re into that kind of stuff. I asked for the barbell for Christmas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads